Jony Ive's replacement Evans Hankey is leaving Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2022
Apple's vice president of industrial design, Evans Hankey, is leaving the company three years after she was appointed Jony Ive's replacement.

Evans Hankey (Source: Wallpaper*)
Evans Hankey (Source: Wallpaper*)

After Ive left, Hankey was made the head of hardware design while Alan Dye was design lead for software and user interfaces. Hankey had already been with Apple and in the design team for many years before stepping up to lead it, and her departure creates a major gap for Apple.

According to Bloomberg, Hankey has told colleagues that she will remain in post for the next six months. No details have been given of what she is leaving to do, nor of whether there is a succession plan.

"Apple's design team brings together expert creatives from around the world and across many disciplines to imagine products that are undeniably Apple," an Apple spokesperson said in a statement to Bloomberg. "The senior design team has strong leaders with decades of experience."

"Evans plans to stay on as we work through the transition," continued the spokesperson. "We'd like to thank her for her leadership and contributions."

Evans has become a more public figure since taking over the hardware design team, including speaking to publications such as Wallpaper* about the team's moving in to Apple Park.

"It's just so quiet and calming," Hankey told the magazine. "We never really understood what that would mean for us until we'd been here for a while. It's been designed for serendipitous meetings as well as collaboration."

Hankey's counterpart in software, Alan Dye, is reportedly staying with Apple.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    I think I would have preferred Alan Dye to depart over Evans Hankey.

The industrial design of the MBP14/16 and M2 MBA are great. I've been using a work issued M1 Pro MBP16 for the past that month, and it's probably the best Mac laptop ever. It finally looks and feels like a workstation laptop. Always cool to the touch. Incredibly quiet. It leaves an impression of dependability, performance, and robustness that prior Mac laptops have not. It has its quirks that I'd like to change, but overall quite impressed. That's Evans Hankey leading the design team. The iMac 24? I'm neutral on, and I haven't used it.

I'm not sure if Alan Dye is a net positive. The dynamic island looks to be promising, but I haven't used it, and may not even get the chance by the time I have a new iPhone. The GUI designs have been treading water at best? He seems to like dynamic UI elements but hasn't learned where and when dynamic UI elements should be used. The Safari UI has dynamically scaling browser tabs. They widen or shorten depending on input focus. Then, Stage Manager applied that to the app views.

Users do not like things that dynamically change without their input. Perhaps I'm speaking two generally here, and it's just me, but this type of dynamism is disorienting to users. As soon as I saw them demo Stage Manager where windows were moving and changing sizes without user input, I immediately knew people were going to have problems with that, and Apple would have to at least have a Setting to turn off auto-sizing, auto-placement in Stage Manager. A person at Dye's level should have learned that when he was in his 20s, perhaps even earlier. It's an affectation that he really needs to learn when to apply it.

Edit: The iPad UI team should really thinking of the UI as a direct manipulation UI. Users are moving and touching physical objects. There's a bit of gesture input UI in iPadOS that makes it harder or unpleasant to use. Been waiting for them to understand this for the longest time.
    edited October 2022 baconstangstompymystigomacxpressAlex1Nh2pmiguelghstwokatmewblastdoorappleinsideruser
  • Reply 2 of 37
    She’s awesome. This sucks. She did great keeping the Ive aesthetic while expanding possibilities. The new MacBooks and iPads look and perform better than ever. 

Massive loss for apple. Really concerning actually. 

If someone comes in that wasn’t part of the Ive team, it’s even more separation from so much of the heart. , thinking, and aesthetic that went into everything. 

Hiring just another industrial designer will turn apple into a Sony, Samsung, etc. 

this sucks really bad. 
    h2pwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 3 of 37
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    She’s awesome. This sucks. She did great keeping the Ive aesthetic while expanding possibilities. The new MacBooks and iPads look and perform better than ever. 

If someone comes in that wasn’t part of the Ive team, it’s even more separation from so much of the heart. , thinking, and aesthetic that went into everything. 

Hiring just another industrial designer will turn apple into a Sony, Samsung, etc. 

this sucks really bad. 
    Next person up. It's inevitable. She should do what she wants. She's earned it after what, 25 years at Apple?

Tim Cook will be retiring sooner or later too. It will be sooner than we think imo, like within the next 3 years. The CEO of Apple is basically that of a leader of a powerful nation state now. If they maintain such a position or even grow bigger, very few people are willing to take on such a responsibility. It's going to be interesting to see who it is.
    h2p9secondkox2fastasleepwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 4 of 37
    tht said:

this sucks really bad. 
    Next person up. It's inevitable. She should do what she wants. She's earned it after what, 25 years at Apple?

Tim Cook will be retiring sooner or later too. It will be sooner than we think imo, like within the next 3 years. The CEO of Apple is basically that of a leader of a powerful nation state now. If they maintain such a position or even grow bigger, very few people are willing to take on such a responsibility. It's going to be interesting to see who it is.
    the manager, the director, etc. don’t matter as much as the software, design, and marketing leads. These folks are the rubber meeting the road at apple as well as the engine that propels the company. 

Yes, it takes a great leader like jobs or cook. Cooks excellence at supply chain matters is huge as well. 

But you can have a great leader, yet a declining company of the industrial design is a backward step. 

There are rumors that joswiac is the cook understudy. Not sure I’ve/Hankey trained up. 

I wonder if there is something wrong with apple culture now that turns off geniuses like I’ve/Hanke and talent like ahrendts, though I don’t put her in the same air. Whatever it is, they need to fix it. 
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 5 of 37
    mystigomystigo Posts: 183member
    tht said:
    The industrial design of the MBP14/16 and M2 MBA are great. I've been using a work issued M1 Pro MBP16 for the past that month, and it's probably the best Mac laptop ever.

Couldn't agree more. They might come out with a better one, one day, but there has never been a better laptop from Apple -and I have been using them since the Duo.
    edited October 2022 blastdoorwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 6 of 37
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    JP234 said:
    Evans Hankey is an enigma. You won't find anything in her bio that isn't work related. Made me wonder if she was the inspiration for "Severance."
    Who knows? Maybe Evans Hankey has a Tumblr with 50,000 posts, every single one marked Private.

Some people like to keep their private lives that way.

Steve leaned that direction very strongly. However as a very high profile CEO, inevitably a few things would leak out from time to time. He kept a very low profile and never posted to social media. He never voluntarily offered anything from his personal life.

Tim Cook is a little more verbal on social media for contemporary issues but he doesn't really share anything when he's not being CEO.

It's okay to go through life without posting what event you're attending or what coffee drink the barista made for you.

My guess is that Apple's heavy privacy focus came from Steve. Apple cares about privacy because Steve cared about privacy.
    edited October 2022 entropystwokatmewJWSCdewmebyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 37
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Sounds like Hankey leaving on her own terms. Righted the design ship to at least consider function as a legacy, and has no doubt enough money to do what she wants.

A total winner.
    twokatmewwelshdogbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 37
    JP234 said:

I wonder if there is something wrong with apple culture now that turns off geniuses like I’ve/Hanke and talent like ahrendts, though I don’t put her in the same air. Whatever it is, they need to fix it. 
    Come on, now, staff comes and goes. Where is Steve Wozniak? Where is Andy Hertzfeld? Where is Jean-Louis Gassée?
    You don’t lose TWO industrial design LEADS in three years time unless there’s a problem. 

There’s a culture weirdness at apple that needs to get sorted stat. Keep the normal, hardworking, talented people and stop bowing to the agenda people. 

And you want to talk about small, nascent industry apple. Go ahead. I’m talking about resurrected apple that found its purpose, identity, and power. The one that turned multiple industries upside down and redefined them for the better. I don’t see anyone copying the works of apple from back then. I do see the entire world following the apple from the iPod era onward. So… good luck with that. 
    edited October 2022 KTRbyronlgrandact73
  • Reply 9 of 37
    KTRKTR Posts: 279member
    I guess you can’t force people stay if they are not happy, o feel like they want to do something else, new.  I bet you she is going to join Ives company
  • Reply 10 of 37
    entropys said:
    Sounds like Hankey leaving on her own terms. Righted the design ship to at least consider function as a legacy, and has no doubt enough money to do what she wants.

A total winner.
    Function was always a priority. But do something long enough mr you’re bound to have a miss like the board and hardware team did with the butterfly keyboard, Touch Bar, limited ram capability MacBook Pro.  Not a miss from Ive. He has a target given to him and he knocked it put of the park. The hardware team has learned since then to plan better and allow overhead in case of failed silicon roadmaps. 

Hankey did what I’ve would have done. And she did it with aplomb. 

I truly hope she is leaving on her terms and wasn’t crushed by some toxicity masquerading as the opposite of that at apple. Would love to see her at LoveFrom or start her own studio. 

byronl
  • Reply 11 of 37
    mpantone said:
    JP234 said:
    Evans Hankey is an enigma. You won't find anything in her bio that isn't work related. Made me wonder if she was the inspiration for "Severance."
    Who knows? Maybe Evans Hankey has a Tumblr with 50,000 posts, every single one marked Private.

Some people like to keep their private lives that way.

Steve leaned that direction very strongly. However as a very high profile CEO, inevitably a few things would leak out from time to time. He kept a very low profile and never posted to social media. He never voluntarily offered anything from his personal life.

Tim Cook is a little more verbal on social media for contemporary issues but he doesn't really share anything when he's not being CEO.

It's okay to go through life without posting what event you're attending or what coffee drink the barista made for you.

My guess is that Apple's heavy privacy focus came from Steve. Apple cares about privacy because Steve cared about privacy.
    Interesting. I’ve really only heard cook get verbal on contemporary issues when they come directly from his personal life. 

With Steve, he was always on top of contemporary issues and would even do homepage makeovers to address them. 
    byronl
  • Reply 12 of 37
    tht said:
    I think I would have preferred Alan Dye to depart over Evans Hankey.

The industrial design of the MBP14/16 and M2 MBA are great. I've been using a work issued M1 Pro MBP16 for the past that month, and it's probably the best Mac laptop ever. It finally looks and feels like a workstation laptop. Always cool to the touch. Incredibly quiet. It leaves an impression of dependability, performance, and robustness that prior Mac laptops have not. It has its quirks that I'd like to change, but overall quite impressed. That's Evans Hankey leading the design team. The iMac 24? I'm neutral on, and I haven't used it.

I'm not sure if Alan Dye is a net positive. The dynamic island looks to be promising, but I haven't used it, and may not even get the chance by the time I have a new iPhone. The GUI designs have been treading water at best? He seems to like dynamic UI elements but hasn't learned where and when dynamic UI elements should be used. The Safari UI has dynamically scaling browser tabs. They widen or shorten depending on input focus. Then, Stage Manager applied that to the app views.

Users do not like things that dynamically change without their input. Perhaps I'm speaking two generally here, and it's just me, but this type of dynamism is disorienting to users. As soon as I saw them demo Stage Manager where windows were moving and changing sizes without user input, I immediately knew people were going to have problems with that, and Apple would have to at least have a Setting to turn off auto-sizing, auto-placement in Stage Manager. A person at Dye's level should have learned that when he was in his 20s, perhaps even earlier. It's an affectation that he really needs to learn when to apply it.

Edit: The iPad UI team should really thinking of the UI as a direct manipulation UI. Users are moving and touching physical objects. There's a bit of gesture input UI in iPadOS that makes it harder or unpleasant to use. Been waiting for them to understand this for the longest time.
    Good piece. I agree with all.

The direct manipulation paragraph you added is completely on point as well. This is why I personally hate “natural scrolling” on macOS because unlike the iPhone/iPad where I’m directly dragging the entire canvas with my finger, on macOS I am controlling the scroll bar through a device that is not directly the screen (a mouse, a trackpad). Therefore the “unnatural scrolling” should be default setting in my opinion, and they should have added the option “touchscreen style scrolling”, or something of that kind.

Although on iPadOS I like the multi-tasking aspect that Stage Manager brings and the fact this can be turned on/off, I find it confusing in some situations.

For example, they’ve added “add another window” as an option in the app top menu bar (three dots) of an app. To me that reads as “add another window of this app” such as another Mail window instance of Mail, because it’s on the menu bar of the app in question. The other options correctly refer to the “current app” such as “close window”. Instead, we essentially see thumbnails of all open apps and I have to select one to “add”. That does not make sense to me.

I find all the bouncing down/up/left/right of windows disorienting and find it confusing when sometimes app open in full screen and hide the other windows that are part of the current selected Stage Manager stack. 
    It loses the “direct manipulation” aspect.

It’s as if the last 10% (the hardest!) aren’t solved by the UI team that cause the confusion together with a lack of values/constraints they should have adhered to whatever the goal/task is.

It’s a difficult task for them I realize, to support all these use-cases on a tablet that has a bit of an identity problem.  

Several inconsistencies exist even on macOS where Notes shows an “edit” button which isn’t edit at all, but actually “create a new note”. That icon is grouped together with icons that are actions based on the current open note, which “create new note” is not. Instead, that icon belongs on the left column top, which is not about “the current open note” but “all notes / general management”. I know, I’m nitpicking! But it’s these things that add up. I am hoping for the next versions of macOS and iPadOS/iOS to focus on ‘clean up’ and ‘refinement’ rather than new stuff.  

I personally feel that some UI elements should look like what they do more. E.g buttons. We’ve gone through several stages of minimalism the past 5-7 years, but it would be good to reconsider UX from a usability point of view and make elements look like how they behave (they call that ‘affordance’ in UX land, like a door handle being designed so that you can see how it should be used).
    edited October 2022 JWSCdewmebyronl
  • Reply 13 of 37
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    JP234 said:

Come on, now, staff comes and goes. Where is Steve Wozniak? Where is Andy Hertzfeld? Where is Jean-Louis Gassée?
    You don’t lose TWO industrial design LEADS in three years time unless there’s a problem. 

There’s a culture weirdness at apple that needs to get sorted stat. Keep the normal, hardworking, talented people and stop bowing to the agenda people. 

And you want to talk about small, nascent industry apple. Go ahead. I’m talking about resurrected apple that found its purpose, identity, and power. The one that turned multiple industries upside down and redefined them for the better. I don’t see anyone copying the works of apple from back then. I do see the entire world following the apple from the iPod era onward. So… good luck with that. 
    So you're saying that after 25 years of working at Apple, she does not deserve to retire and do as she pleases? That there must be a problem with Apple?
    thinkman100000000StrangeDaysentropyswelshdogbyronl
  • Reply 14 of 37
    JP234 said:

When a company grows so big as Apple does, it won’t attract these types of disruptive genius leaders anymore because they don’t offer the soil to grow the way they need to grow. These folks start their own unicorn companies. That’s not unique to Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    @CheeseFreeze ;
     , I completely agree with you , Nothing is permanent 
    the world goes on ......

CheeseFreeze
  • Reply 16 of 37
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    Perhaps Apple didn't sell as many HDMI cables as they thought people wanted. /s

Hoping the MBP will go on a diet and get back some style.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    Whoever takes over for her should put the volume slider back onto the Lock Screen when a podcast or Music app is playing. 
    CheeseFreezeStrangeDaysbyronl
  • Reply 18 of 37
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    Not saying this has anything to do with her departure, but the next design lead will face production feasibility constraints greater than in the past. Before, the designers could assume that they had a million small pairs of human hands living in Chinese factories to build whatever the designers concocted. Now their designs will need to be built in multiple countries by people with more varied skills and less willingness to accept low pay for long hours of hard work. The designers now also have to contend with more regulatory constraints from the EU. 

Maybe those constraints make the job a little less fun? Or, maybe it’s a different kind of ‘fun’ because it’s a different kind of problem to solve, and you need somebody excited about solving that kind of problem?

• Reply 19 of 37
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    JP234 said:
    JP234 said:

So you don't believe that the impetus for these high profile defections might be the very fact that the "purpose, identity and power" of Apple Inc. has led to poaching by other tech firms, who are offering to back a Brinks truck up to their houses if they jump ship? OR that their highly compensated efforts at Apple have enriched them to the point they are able to pursue personal goals without fear of financial instability?

I'm sure you can find a great many ex-employees of Apple have gone on to found their own companies, projects and charitable foundations. Even Steve Jobs himself.
    Fairchild Semiconductor spawned Fairchildren. So what does Apple spawn?  Appleseeds?
  • Reply 20 of 37
    She probably grew tired of the fact that Apple is no longer an innovator of new products but instead a refiner.