Apple removes headphone jack from new 10th generation iPad

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    JP234 said:
    This is sure to bring out the trolls, claiming they will never buy another iPad.

But at this point, who needs the audio jack anyway? You have legacy earbuds? Get new ones. Get Bluetooth ones. Or buy a cheapo adapter. You say the audio quality is too low over Bluetooth? Well, you should be using a high end stereo system, that has both the 35mm and 1/4" audio jacks, not an iPad.
    You probably don't have kids. I'm not giving them wireless phones that they lose because they are so small and expensive. You want to buy rugged, wired headphones that require no Bluetooth setup. 

The removal of the jack is dumb, like many of the design choices Apple made for both iPads this year. The regular iPad is THE choice for kids, and they just removed something that is super popular for parents. 

Well, the great news is that parents will now get to listen to everything their kids are listening to, through the iPad's terrific loudspeakers. Enjoy!
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 36
    I don't mean to be a troll, but this iPad seems really dumb... 

I'm the executive of a K-8 school that buys hundreds of iPads. The general funding price point for the device, the warranty and the case is $400. In the past, we enjoyed working with Apple because they bundled their products to meet this price point and which low income schools could get reimbursements through different federal programs so that low income students could enjoy the Apple tech. 

Now, not only is the iPad over a hundred dollars more than the federal reimbursement level, we can't use our $9 headphones anymore and are forced to buy battery powered headphones for triple that cost.

I don't think we can afford iPads anymore.
    The iPad you were buying last week is still available. Seems like it would still meet your needs. 
    watto_cobraappleuseryeah
  • Reply 23 of 36
    auxio said:
    JP234 said:
    This is sure to bring out the trolls, claiming they will never buy another iPad.

But at this point, who needs the audio jack anyway? You have legacy earbuds? Get new ones. Get Bluetooth ones. Or buy a cheapo adapter. You say the audio quality is too low over Bluetooth? Well, you should be using a high end stereo system, that has both the 35mm and 1/4" audio jacks, not an iPad.
    You probably don't have kids. I'm not giving them wireless phones that they lose because they are so small and expensive. You want to buy rugged, wired headphones that require no Bluetooth setup. 
    I have a kid who ruined many pairs of wired headphones by yanking them out of the socket the wrong way and/or having the iPad drop with the headphones connected. You can get cheap BT headphones for around the same price as wired these days. There's really no difference aside from the 30 seconds it takes to pair them.
    I have to agree with this. You can get cheap BT headphones now on Amazon.  You can get one for less than 20 dollars on Amazon.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 36
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I simply no longer see wired headsets in the wild in my neck of the woods.
    watto_cobraappleuseryeah
  • Reply 25 of 36
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I don't mean to be a troll, but this iPad seems really dumb... 

I'm the executive of a K-8 school that buys hundreds of iPads. The general funding price point for the device, the warranty and the case is $400. In the past, we enjoyed working with Apple because they bundled their products to meet this price point and which low income schools could get reimbursements through different federal programs so that low income students could enjoy the Apple tech. 

Now, not only is the iPad over a hundred dollars more than the federal reimbursement level, we can't use our $9 headphones anymore and are forced to buy battery powered headphones for triple that cost.

I don't think we can afford iPads anymore.
    Well I guess it’s Android tablets for you then, huh? Good luck with that cheap crap. 
    edited October 2022 watto_cobraappleuseryeah
  • Reply 26 of 36
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    I love the comments that try and tell people how they "should" or "should not" be using their device as a justification for them not to complain about a functional port's removal.
    baconstangmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 36
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,155member
    Guys, the USB-C to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter works fine. I have one for my iPad mini (6th generation).

Not a big deal.
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 36
    auxio said:
    JP234 said:

I have a kid who ruined many pairs of wired headphones by yanking them out of the socket the wrong way and/or having the iPad drop with the headphones connected. You can get cheap BT headphones for around the same price as wired these days. There's really no difference aside from the 30 seconds it takes to pair them.
    That is completely opposite to my experience.

- kids don't yank it out the wrong way at all. If that happens usually the headphone dies, not the ipad.
    - kids forget to charge wireless headphones. 
    - wireless headphones go empty fast with kids.
    - pairing often fails or doesn't behave as expected unless you invest in expensive Apple ones, and then parents will need to assist.

Another reason why the removal of this port is ultra-dumb is the educational market, where wireless headphones can be easily stolen or is a budget issue. Schools always use wireless ones. Is Apple giving up on that market with the exact device that is perfect for that market?

Lastly, musicians now can't connect a microphone or guitar, unless they use a USB-C-to-jack plug, which then also removes the ability to charge device.

So many stupid decisions on Apple's side....
  • Reply 29 of 36
    JP234 said:
    JP234 said:

People that work with audio. I will use my iPad Pro for recording keyboard, guitar/bass and drums. The latency with Bluetooth is too high and can't be used to for monitoring what you are recording. So I end up having to use the built in speakers. That Apple has GarageBand on the iPad and this limitation is kind of a bummer. I also get that the people that do what I am doing are in the minority and Apple isn't going to keep the headphone jack for us. Side note, there is a group of people that complain that Logic and FCPX aren't on the iPad.... there is your answer. Both would be gimped by the lack of headphone jack.
    I have a MUCH better solution for you: the new iPads have a USB-C connector. Plug in a set of USB-C headphones. So what's the next objection?
    So how would you exactly charge the iPad for long sessions while using that connector?
    Have you actually used the iPad for production? 
    edited October 2022 RobSRand
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Lastly, musicians now can't connect a microphone or guitar, unless they use a USB-C-to-jack plug, which then also removes the ability to charge device.

HTC Y SPLITTER HEADSET  CHARGING  CABLE ADAPTER - Picture 5 of 5

When I had an HTC phone back in 2008, it came with this elegant solution for the lack of a 3.5mm jack. So when I wasn't using bluetooth, I could still play my mp3s and charge at the same time.

Of course, for the next decade, most phones had both of these built directly into the bottom... but thankfully, Apple had courage.

Anyway, I'm sure there are USB-C versions of this nowadays... I mean, who doesn't love a good dongle?!
    edited October 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 36
    RobSRand said:

HTC Y SPLITTER HEADSET  CHARGING  CABLE ADAPTER - Picture 5 of 5

When I had an HTC phone back in 2008, it came with this elegant solution for the lack of a 3.5mm jack. So when I wasn't using bluetooth, I could still play my mp3s and charge at the same time.

Of course, for the next decade, most phones had both of these built directly into the bottom... but thankfully, Apple had courage.

Anyway, I'm sure there are USB-C versions of this nowadays... I mean, who doesn't love a good dongle?!
    Is it me or does that look like Truck Nuts? I guess in the case it would be iPad Nuts? The accessory we have all been clamoring for. 

I realize that your post was a joke but it still doesn't address the issue. You would need a third nut for the instrument, Perhaps that could a marketing point... iPads have three nuts!
    edited October 2022 RobSRand
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Stabitha_Christie said:

I realize that your post was a joke but it still doesn't address the issue. You would need a third nut for the instrument, Perhaps that could a marketing point... iPads have three nuts!
    True. Or plug the male end of one y-shaped dongle into one of the female ends of another y-shaped dongle and plug that second y-shaped dongle into the iPad....

Theoretically, we could add more and more dongles that way, for as many nuts as we want. I love it.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    RobSRand said:

There are USB-C audio adapters that have power input:

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Headphone-Adapter-Charging-Compatible/dp/B08519D4R4

Removing the analog 3.5mm connector isn't such a big problem. For most people, wireless audio products offer a much more comfortable experience being able to get up and move around, the price is the main downside. If Apple hadn't removed the jack, much fewer people would have opted for wireless and it has driven a big improvement in wireless headphone options and quality.

For people who absolutely need wired audio, there are options to cover every scenario and the direct USB-C to 3.5mm is compact. USB-C also allows for active noise canceling as it provides power:

https://www.imore.com/best-usb-c-headphones-ipad-pro
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Removing the analog 3.5mm connector isn't such a big problem. For most people, wireless audio products offer a much more comfortable experience being able to get up and move around, the price is the main downside. If Apple hadn't removed the jack, much fewer people would have opted for wireless and it has driven a big improvement in wireless headphone options and quality.

For people who absolutely need wired audio, there are options to cover every scenario and the direct USB-C to 3.5mm is compact. USB-C also allows for active noise canceling as it provides power:

https://www.imore.com/best-usb-c-headphones-ipad-pro
    Indeed, Apple, Samsung, and countless other companies are selling dongles. The dongle you linked had 3500 reviews alone. There are another 200,000+ reviews for Apple's dongle, and tens of thousands for others. And those are just reviews, not sales, and just on Amazon. I would respectfully suggest that this speaks volumes about whether the underlying devices are meeting consumers where they are.

Not that the goal is to meet consumers where they are...

And yes, headsets have improved considerably in recent years. But let's not overstate the case. I've used stereo BT headsets since 2006, and in the next decade they kept getting smaller and better. Removing headphone jacks has spurred more demand for wireless - mind you, with a lot of help from carriers who have been delighted to sell jackless phones so they can push wireless headsets as a must-have accessory... in the same way they push walls full of bulky cases and $17/mo. insurance to protect phones that look "pretty" but aren't designed for real-life usage. As for spurred quality, Sony arguably makes the best headsets today, yet their own phones still come with a jack (no wonder you won't see those at Best Buy).

I love wireless at the gym, and in other settings where I'm on the go. in other situations, I find wired is better. Apparently, a whole lot of other people still think so too.
    muthuk_vanalingam