Apple will show more App Store ads from Oct. 25

Posted:
in iOS
Apple will be bringing more ads to the App Store on Tuesday in almost all territories, including ad placements within the Today tab.

App Store ads.
App Store ads.

Initially warned about in September, Apple has reportedly started to contact developers, notifying them that the new ad spots will go live on October 25. The ads will appear in the respective regional App Stores in all countries where it operates, with the exception of China.

The ads will be prominently appearing in the main Today tab, an email to developers seen by MacRumors reads, as well in a "You Might Also Like" segment below individual app listings.

The new ad slots previously appeared in tests in July, which at the time, Apple said "provides opportunities for developers of all sizes to grow their business. On an Apple Search Ads explainer page, Apple also claims the new Today tab ad will make the ad "some of the first content users see when they begin their App Store visit."

Apple's latest ad spots will be a major expansion of the ad business in general, as part of an overall push to make its ad business grow. In August, it was said the team working on ads wanted to grow from $4 billion in annual revenue and into double digits.

It was thought that the target could be met by increasing where advertising is shown, into other first-party apps like Books and Podcasts. An expansion of search ads to Apple Maps has also reportedly been explored internally.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Even more so turning the App Store in a “whoever has the most money, will acquire the most users” play. Coming from the acclaimed directors: “Free  Apps! Race to the free-to-play bottom commences!
    elijahg
  • Reply 2 of 3
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    You know, while I don’t like the idea in general of alternative AppStores on iPad iPhone, it’s BS like this that makes me more open to the idea. It’s already often tough to find the App I want, with the paid placement Apps at the top. It’s already annoying as F when I search for an app by name and it’s a distance down the list behind apps whose name isn’t anything like what I searched for, but they paid for placement. Throw in even more ads and to heck with it, other stores doesn’t sound like a bad idea. At least if I search the Annapurna Store, or the Microsoft Store, I know I’ll find what I’m actually searching for. 
    gatorguyCheeseFreeze
  • Reply 3 of 3
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Boooooooo!
    dewme