EU finalizes charger rule forcing USB-C on iPhones in 2024

Posted:
in iPhone
The European Union has given its final approval to the common charger directive, a plan that will force Apple and other electronics producers to use USB-C by 2024.

A USB-C cable.
A USB-C cable.

The long-debated plan by the EU to introduce a common charger for producers of small electronics and notebooks has passed its final major hurdle. On Monday, ministers of the EU Council finalized approval of the common charger directive.

Under the plan, USB-C ports will become mandatory on devices, with the logic that a single connector type will allow a charger to be used by multiple devices. This is thought to improve consumer convenience and to significantly reduce electronic waste.

By 2024, it will become mandatory for mobile phones, tablets and e-readers, cameras, game consoles, headphones, wireless mice and keyboards, and portable navigation systems to recharge using USB-C. All notebooks will also be covered by the rules 40 months after the directive comes into force.

As part of the directive, consumers will be able to choose whether to purchase new devices with or without a charger. Four years after coming into force, the European Commission will determine whether an unbundling of chargers should become mandatory.

Following the approval, the legislative act has to be signed by the President of the European Parliament and the President of the Council, then be published in the Official Journal of the European Union. 20 days later, the rules will come into force, and will start to apply to manufacturers 24 months later.

"We all have at least three mobile phone chargers at home. Looking for the right charger, either at home or at work, can be quite annoying," said Minister for Industry and Trade Jozef Sikela. "On top of this, these chargers amount to 11,000 tonnes of e-waste every year. Having a charger that fits multiple devices will save money and time and also helps us reduce electronic waste."

Apple has yet to publicly discuss the move following the EU's finalization, but it did previously argue against the change. In 2020, Apple insisted a regulation forcing conformity on connectors "stifles innovation rather than encouraging it, and would harm consumers in Europe and the economy as a whole."

The company has slowly been shifting towards USB-C across its hardware, with the iPhone the last to start making the transition.

The Commission's work isn't complete, however, as it will still look at harmonizing wireless charging technologies for devices. This change may impact MagSafe, Apple's modified form of the prevalent Qi wireless charging standard.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    Although I'm expecting Apple to comply, it might be able to escape the requirement if it leased its iPhones instead of selling them to customers in Europe. The actual European legal document seems to be talking about selling devices, not leasing them.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,292member
    "We all have at least three mobile phone chargers at home. Looking for the right charger, either at home or at work, can be quite annoying,"

All of my mobile phone, tablet, keyboard, trackpad, and AirPod chargers use lightning. All of those lightning chargers and cables will go in the trash once I start having to buy devices that use USB-C rather than lightning. So at least in my household, e-waste will be going up as a result of this law, not down. 

Historically, the real problem with chargers and cables was in the non-Apple world, with all the goofy and pointless variations. I suppose this law/rule will help with that situation, but I think it does more harm than good for Apple customers. 

badmonkcornchipmike1chiatmayPatchyThePirateV.3goofy1958stompywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 31
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Is the EU going to define the charger quality or will any garbage charger be allowed to be sold? What about the quality of USB cables? Not all cables are the same, including ones with USB-C connectors on them. I know there are cheap lightning cables that don't work with Apple devices so I only buy from reputable sources. How will the EU deal with lawsuits from iPhone users who buy EU-sold garbage chargers and cables? 
    cornchipchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 31
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Really despise the EU. Even more now. 
    mike1lkruppjibPatchyThePirateV.3williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 31
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    rob53 said:
    Is the EU going to define the charger quality or will any garbage charger be allowed to be sold? What about the quality of USB cables? Not all cables are the same, including ones with USB-C connectors on them. I know there are cheap lightning cables that don't work with Apple devices so I only buy from reputable sources. How will the EU deal with lawsuits from iPhone users who buy EU-sold garbage chargers and cables? 
    The EU doesn't sell chargers and cables so I don't know why you think they're vulnerable to any lawsuits.  Besides, if any iPhone users buy trashy USB-C cables then they likely bought trashy Lightning cables, those that you know exist.  What's the difference?
    Skepticalmuthuk_vanalingamgrandact73
  • Reply 6 of 31
    blastdoor said:
    "We all have at least three mobile phone chargers at home. Looking for the right charger, either at home or at work, can be quite annoying,"

All of my mobile phone, tablet, keyboard, trackpad, and AirPod chargers use lightning. All of those lightning chargers and cables will go in the trash once I start having to buy devices that use USB-C rather than lightning. So at least in my household, e-waste will be going up as a result of this law, not down. 

Historically, the real problem with chargers and cables was in the non-Apple world, with all the goofy and pointless variations. I suppose this law/rule will help with that situation, but I think it does more harm than good for Apple customers. 
    Why would you trash something that works if you care about e-waste?  Sell or gift them to someone who still has a Lightning device.

I don't plan on replacing some of my lightning devices for a long time yet.  Keyboards and Trackpads are not devices that get upgraded regularly by a lot of people.
    Skepticalgrandact73
  • Reply 7 of 31

By 2024, it will become mandatory for mobile phones, tablets and e-readers, cameras, game consoles, headphones, wireless mice and keyboards, and portable navigation systems to recharge using USB-C. All notebooks will also be covered by the rules 40 months after the directive comes into force.
    Handheld game consoles maybe.  I don't think the EU are asking for the PS5 to be USB-C chargeable.  
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Really looking forward to the wisdom of the EU killing g MagSafe… that will be wonderful for the consumer. (Sarcasm heavy)
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Really looking forward to the wisdom of the EU killing g MagSafe… that will be wonderful for the consumer. (Sarcasm heavy)
    The EU has not killed MagSafe.  Nothing about the regulation prevents Apple shipping MacBooks and iPhones with MagSafe.
    spheric
  • Reply 10 of 31
    mfrydmfryd Posts: 216member
    The report is wrong.  The EU rule does not require Apple to use USB-C, it gives Apple another option.

The rule only applies to phones that charge with a wire.  It does not apply to phones that charge wirelessly.   

For EU models of iPhone, Apple can remove the USB to lightning cable and replace it with a MagSafe cable.  They can change the documentation to refer to the lightning connector as a "diagnostic port."   With those two packaging changes the existing iPhone with lightning connector would meet the new EU regulation.

Now, I suspect that Apple will move the iPhone to USB-C, as Apple is already starting to phase out the lighting connector.  However, it is incorrect to say that the EU rule is forcing Apple to do this.

chia22july2013PatchyThePirateV.3appleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 31
    I have no issue with the spirit of what the EU wants to do. But if our own Senate and House hearings with the heads of Facebook, Google, Apple, etc. proved anything, it's that government bureaucrats, including those on supposed "technology" committees, are painfully, embarrassingly uninformed about tech. The EU bureaucrats are proving more of the same. 

By the time the EU mandate goes into effect, USB-C will be 10 years old, and it will be 14 years old by the time the EU re-evaluates its decision. So the EU bureaucrats, in their infinite wisdom, have tethered all of us to a connector that's already a dinosaur in terms of technological age. Plus, they've killed any incentive for tech companies to bring a next gen connector to market since we're stuck with USB-C for the foreseeable future. True, the EU is mandating USB-C for charging only, but if we have to start carrying around two different cables--one for charging and a more advanced connector for data transfer--this whole initiative will be completely pointless. 
    PatchyThePirateV.3williamlondonstompywatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 31
    charlesn said:
    Plus, they've killed any incentive for tech companies to bring a next gen connector to market since we're stuck with USB-C for the foreseeable future. 
    Nope.  They've prevented tech companies from shipping a mobile product without USB-C charging.  Nothing about the regulation mandates that it's the only form of charging.  Apple and others are free to pursue other connectors, wireless and wired, for product differentiation, the only stipulation is that USB-C charging is supported as well.

If Apple were planning on shipping a MacBook with only MagSafe and no USB-C then they've been derailed, sure.  But if you think USB-C is going away any time soon, even in an alternative universe where this regulation didn't exist, then you're in cloud cuckoo land.  Hell, there are people still sore that Apple's notebooks don't have a USB-A port, as some other manufacturers' do, and that's over 25 years old.

And if the EU see another universal charging port gaining ground then the regulation can be revised.  Not a big deal.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 31
    I can’t wait to throw away all my chargers and cables so I can use the new universal kind, that will keep so much electronics out of landfill.
    maciekskontaktstompywatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 31
    What happens in 10 years when usbc is old technology?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 31
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    Fair question.

I'm wondering, for cars made/sold in the EU, whether such cars will have to remove or supplement their USB-A connectors with USB-C connectors.

I did a random sample of four new cars and found half of them still had only USB-A ports. The other half had USB-C only.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Why do you think that technology can change but regulation can't?
    muthuk_vanalingamgrandact73spheric
  • Reply 17 of 31
    "We all have at least three mobile phone chargers at home. Looking for the right charger, either at home or at work, can be quite annoying," said Minister for Industry and Trade Jozef Sikela.
    Why does he have 3 different mobile phone chargers?  Has he just been buying Samsung crap?  We use only wireless to charge all of our Apple products already.  Yes, we have cables in the car if needed, but rarely do we need them at all.  Can't even remember the last time we used them.  Our next vehicle will have wireless charging as well.

edited October 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 31
    blastdoor said:

And who told you you are majority in this world. Unfortunately Apple mobile devices are not majority of market in EU and in other parts of world. Do not judge the rest of world based on your own yard.

And yes I still have that old junk Apple cables with wide connector for their first generations mobile devices. I did not complain when they switched to Lightning or when they ditched that Firewire/IEEE1394 to replace with USB that was supposedly inferior to theirs and so much fought for by Apple cult fans. Yet we are on USB and USB-C is just the next logic step with all what Apple does.
    edited October 2022 spheric
  • Reply 19 of 31
    goofy1958 said:
    "We all have at least three mobile phone chargers at home. Looking for the right charger, either at home or at work, can be quite annoying," said Minister for Industry and Trade Jozef Sikela.
    Why does he have 3 different mobile phone chargers?  Has he just been buying Samsung crap?  We use only wireless to charge all of our Apple products already.  Yes, we have cables in the car if needed, but rarely do we need them at all.  Can't even remember the last time we used them.  Our next vehicle will have wireless charging as well.

Samsung "crap"? Really. How long did you use Samsung to ditch it as crap? I used Apple computers and mobile devices for last 17 years so, I know justification why I ditched macOS or mobile phone for some Android. If only brainwashed crowd behind Apple could listen what does not work for some group of people instead of following "bottom line" (check what that means in accounting terminology if you do not have clue) then perhaps few of us could stay with Apple. Well many of us are irrelevant to Apple crowd, right?
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Some seem to think that regulations like that protecting consumers are not good. So how about intellectual property like patents that Apple holds. Are those good because this is Apple only? Try to be objective at least once which side you are on. Do you work for Apple or are you consumer on the market?