Tim Cook slowly waves checkered flag at US Grand Prix

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple CEO Tim Cook made an unexpected appearance at the U.S. Grand Prix on Sunday, waving the checkered flag at the finishing line in an unusually slow manner.

Tim Cook waving the checkered flag at the U.S. Grand Prix.
Tim Cook waving the checkered flag at the U.S. Grand Prix.

The Formula 1 United States Grand Prix took place on Sunday, held at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas. After 56 laps of racing, the checkered flag was waved by none other than Tim Cook.

Cook was one of the famous faces in attendance at the race, which also saw Shaquille O'Neal, Brad Pitt, Serena Williams, and Ed Sheeran at the venue. However, Cook was the one to hold and wave the flag at the end.

The CEO was shown holding and waving the flag on ESPN, wearing a dark polo shirt and sunglasses, however he did quickly become the target of ridicule from online critics. Rather than a fast or enthusiastic waving, Cook is shown to be gingerly and slowly moving the flag from side to side.

Commentary was quickly inbound on Twitter, suggesting that someone tell Cook he's "not surrendering in a war," and declaring "Hey grandpa, calm down." Even ESPN joined in the fun with its social postings.

The race saw Max Verstappen pass Lewis Hamilton to win the race, his 13th for the year, and equalling the record for number of wins in a season.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Cook-ing with gas.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Opec will love him
    foregoneconclusion
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Not sure he was really enjoying himself either, his expression was pretty grim from what I witnessed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 22
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    It’s possible Tim hasn’t yet been upgraded to the Mx class of chips, still running on the original pre-Bionic A series …
    kitatitbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Tim! Wave that thing! You aren’t rocking a baby to sleep!
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 22
    If anyone checks the look on his face it looks difficult to do. I’ll bet it’s heavy and with wind he’s just trying to hang on to it. 
    MBearbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    byronlbyronl Posts: 356member
    this is sending me 🤣🤣🤣🤣
    edited October 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Not what the U.S. Grand Prix had in mind.
    watto_cobrapaxman
  • Reply 9 of 22
    He is wa(i)ving the 30% tax.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Opec will love him
    Not sure they've repeated Aramco enough in the grandstand area. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 22
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 255member
    Applejacs said:
    Not sure he was really enjoying himself either, his expression was pretty grim from what I witnessed.

Tim often seems to display symptoms of RBF, or "resting bitch face". It's a lifelong illness that has no known cure . . .
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 12 of 22
    This is why there’s no 120hz on Apple TV. 🤣
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 13 of 22
    ...or perhaps he was having an eco hypocrisy sustainability apocalypse 'bag of hurt' maga moment, given the magnitude of popular interest in such an event, climate be damned...  Perhaps he is being increasingly bullied by 'duty' and the 'money men', who may have lining up with the changing of the guard back in 2011...? He does not look happy to me... Not even close.
    edited October 2022 thrang
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Cook-ing with gas.
    If you followed F1 carefully you would know they not only use very complex energy recovery systems, but also stopped (Mercedes) development of their engines due to electric once coming in the future. Now, do you want to see F1 or you just want them to shutdown for few years because this how long it takes to develop sustainable engine with 1000 horse power that is used now in F1? No Tesla does not have one... yet. Try to make 200 miles race with acceleartion and deceleration of F1 car and you will understand that it is not feasible with today's electric technology. Those cars have aerodynamic downforce of 5 ton in some parts of circuit that has to be overcome by the engine to reach over 200mph speeds. It ain't your Tesla or similar commuter toy to commute in Silicon Valley and they do not have 20-30 minutes to recharge it. The race is limited to 2 hours no matter what by F1 regulations.
    edited October 2022
  • Reply 15 of 22
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Cook-ing with gas.
    If you followed F1 carefully you would know they not only use very complex energy recovery systems, but also stopped (Mercedes) development of their engines due to electric once coming in the future. Now, do you want to see F1 or you just want them to shutdown for few years because this how long it takes to develop sustainable engine with 1000 horse power that is used now in F1? No Tesla does not have one... yet. Try to make 200 miles race with acceleartion and deceleration of F1 car and you will understand that it is not feasible with today's electric technology. Those cars have aerodynamic downforce of 5 ton in some parts of circuit that has to be overcome by the engine to reach over 200mph speeds.
    Dude, I don't often stand up for 20july2013, but it's just a bit of wordplay.  A joke.  Find it unfunny if you want, but chill out.
    muthuk_vanalingam22july2013byronlmacgui
  • Reply 16 of 22
    He did not look happy in the pre-race show. I thought it was him, but Sky sports reporters walked right by him and ignored him.
    So I wasn't sure until the checkered flag wave.

Probably in Austin trying to figure out US production options. Austin was probably trying smooze him by the honor of flag man.
    An honor he clearly not enjoying.
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 17 of 22
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    CEO of largest market cap corporation in world must have a lot on his mind during all waking hours, so while fun to conjecture none of us could imagine the magnitude of weight on his shoulders.  Be it China, upcoming quarterly numbers, iPhone demand, overall economy, wondering what next season of For All Mankind has in store, whether the Apple Car is on the right path, and on and on.

But I do agree with the BFR comment, I had never heard of this but I know I “suffer” from it since people have often told me I look pissed off or serious when I was actually in a very content state.  Plus Tim has probably developed an uncanny ability to keep a neutral/poker face in public, without even realizing how it can be mis-perceived.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 22
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    Clearly Tim just didn't get the spirit of the moment.

Me, I miss the old days when some guy in a coat and a flat cap would rush out onto the track, practically under the wheels of the oncoming race cars, waving the checkered flag for all he's worth.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    crowley said:
    Cook-ing with gas.
    If you followed F1 carefully you would know they not only use very complex energy recovery systems, but also stopped (Mercedes) development of their engines due to electric once coming in the future. Now, do you want to see F1 or you just want them to shutdown for few years because this how long it takes to develop sustainable engine with 1000 horse power that is used now in F1? No Tesla does not have one... yet. Try to make 200 miles race with acceleartion and deceleration of F1 car and you will understand that it is not feasible with today's electric technology. Those cars have aerodynamic downforce of 5 ton in some parts of circuit that has to be overcome by the engine to reach over 200mph speeds.
    Dude, I don't often stand up for 20july2013, but it's just a bit of wordplay.  A joke.  Find it unfunny if you want, but chill out.
    I wish to thank you for being so decent for a long time with me. We haven't argued in ages. You've been nice.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Opec will love him
    Not sure they've repeated Aramco enough in the grandstand area. 
    They are the title sponsor of the race, so there's that.