Tim Cook calls on Apple's suppliers to decarbonize by 2030

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2022
Apple says it is accelerating its work with suppliers and expanding clean energy investment to cut the use of carbon and fight climate change.

Apple has been continuously working toward removing the use of carbon in its manufacturing, including the 2019 founding of a Green Bond program. More recently, it's become the first company in the world to use low-carbon aluminum.

Now Apple's CEO Tim Cook is calling on its suppliers to accelerate the decarbonization of Apple-related production.

"Fighting climate change remains one of Apple's most urgent priorities, and moments like this put action to those words," Cook in a statement. "We're looking forward to continued partnership with our suppliers to make Apple's supply chain carbon neutral by 2030."

"Climate action at Apple doesn't stop at our doors," he continued, "and in this work, we're determined to be a ripple in the pond that creates a bigger change."

Apple says that it has been carbon neutral for its global corporate operations since 2020, and is now "laser-focused on its ambitious goal to become carbon neutral across its entire global supply chain and the life cycle of every product."

As part of this, Apple is requiring progress reports from its suppliers, and "will track and audit annual progress." Apple says that it will "partner with suppliers that are working with urgency and making measurable progress toward decarbonization."

It's also offering a suite of online learning resources and live training, as it "works closely with its suppliers and local partners to identify effective solutions for renewable energy and carbon removal."

Reportedly, over 150 representatives from suppliers have participated in the live training during 2022 alone. Apple now plans to donate the resources it has created for the training, to create a "first-of-its-kind public training platform that is free for businesses across many different industries."

Expanding clean energy use

Apple also says that it now plans to facilitate the building of large-scale solar and wind projects across Europe. The company previously sought proposals for such projects, and over the next several years will implement ones producing between 30 and 300 megawatts.

"In total, the planned investments will add 3,000 gigawatt hours per year of new renewable energy on the grid," says Apple.

Users can play their part

US iPhone users on iOS 16 will be able to see what sources of electricity are being use to charge the phone, and optimize "for when the grid is using cleaner energy sources like solar or wind."

The new Clean Energy option in iOS 16, for US users
The new Clean Energy option in iOS 16, for US users

Starting this month, iOS 16 will feature a Clean Energy Charging option for US users. "iPhone learns from your daily charging routine," says the new option in Settings, "so it can reach full charge before you need to use it."

Three new Restore Fund projects

Apple is also expanding on its Restore Fund, a project in partnership with both Goldman Sachs and Conservation International. The Fund aims to "generate a financial return while removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere," and is concentrating on forestry work.

As part of the new announcement, Apple has invested with what it describes as "three high-quality forestry managers" in Brazil and Paraguay. It aims to restore 150,000 acres of sustainable forest, and protect approximately 100,000 acres of native forests, grasslands, and wetlands.

Again, Apple will be monitoring progress, this time working with other partners to analyze satellite imagery and also use "innovative remote sensing technologies."

The intention is that, overall, the new Restore Fund projects will see one million metric tonnes of carbon dioxide removed from the atmosphere in 2025.

Apple's solar panel array in  Brown County, Texas.
Apple's solar panel array in Brown County, Texas.

New worldwide partnerships

Apple says it is now working with the World Wildlife Fund in Namibia and Zimbabwe, where a Climate Crowd program works with local communities. In China, Apple and the China Green Carbon Foundation will support "identifying and mapping prioritized areas," and develop better forest management techniques.

In Europe, the Middle East, and also North Africa, Apple is working with ChangemakerXchange to create a network that will "connect, build, and uplift youth-led climate innovation."

Apple is also continuing its partnership with Conservation International for livestock management in the Chyulu Hills region of Kenya.

Read on AppleInsider
crowley

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    The option for Clean Energy Charging isn't even available to me.  Probably because in my region, virtually all power is generated by coal.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    And the new world order commences it’s road to chaos 
    holmstockd
  • Reply 3 of 14
    ... it all sounds so good in words ...
    ...and then I see the photo of the array, and extrapolate to the opening scene of blade runner 2049...
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6s-_-c-lWs
    edited October 2022
  • Reply 4 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    And I just read an article a few days ago  in the NYT saying that Apple’s largest supplier, customer, partner, China, is INCREASING coal production. 
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Wow, that iOS 16 settings screenshot contains 2 typos: "charing" and "charding". Is this the quality and attention to detail Apple is currently shipping? (I haven't upgraded to iOS 16 yet, so I can't check on my device.)
    crowley
  • Reply 6 of 14
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    All the negativity. Clearly, it’s so much easier to focus on the negatives than the positives this move will offer and the ripple effect this will generate. I don’t see any other company willing to step up to the plate to get this going. God knows our  leadership isn’t doing shit about it. 

How about some positive attitudes about this? We sure need it. 
    edited October 2022 thtlolliver
  • Reply 7 of 14
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,670member
    lkrupp said:
    And I just read an article a few days ago  in the NYT saying that Apple’s largest supplier, customer, partner, China, is INCREASING coal production. 
    But how will things look in 2030?

The EU Green Deal has put 1.8 trillion euros on the table for energy related issues. Apple might even find a way to get some subsidies.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/strategy/priorities-2019-2024/european-green-deal/repowereu-affordable-secure-and-sustainable-energy-europe_en
  • Reply 8 of 14
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    person said:
    Let me lay it out bluntly: Dead people don’t buy Macs and iPhones. Ruined economies can’t afford high tech. This is self interest by Apple. We are at the point now that unless there are a lot of changes in how we do things, changes that we ALL have to push for, the world in 2050 will not be one we want to live in. That is assuming that we ARE still living. I’ve been working and studying in and around this issue for decades, and yes, it IS that dire. This isn’t some power grab as the paranoid keep claiming. This is a matter of survival.
    edited October 2022 mknelsonthtAlex_Vlolliverbadmonk
  • Reply 9 of 14
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    lkrupp said:
    They also have massive renewables projects. There appears to be a plan in place to phase out coal over time.

Not ideal, but you need to look at the future not just the present or the past.

person said:
    Have you lived where you do for decades? Have you seen how the climate has changed? That road to chaos has been underway for decades. The process to improve things may look like chaos if you don't look at it for opportunities.
    Alex_Vlolliver
  • Reply 10 of 14
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    I'm halfway there myself. My current solar PV system provides about the same energy as the house and 1 EV uses. Clothes dryer has been electric for awhile. Been using an outdoor electric oven+cooktop for awhile. The indoor gas cooktop almost failed, but still limping along and we use it occasionally. 17yo gas water heaters still going but will be replaced with electric heat pump water heaters when they fail. The 8yo other car will be replaced with electric. The last two things will be the furnace which will be replaced with a heat pump and the 2012 minivan, if it needs to be replaced, will be replaced with either a used EV truck/minivan when the time comes.
    Alex_V
  • Reply 11 of 14
    tht said:
    I'm halfway there myself. My current solar PV system provides about the same energy as the house and 1 EV uses. Clothes dryer has been electric for awhile. Been using an outdoor electric oven+cooktop for awhile. The indoor gas cooktop almost failed, but still limping along and we use it occasionally. 17yo gas water heaters still going but will be replaced with electric heat pump water heaters when they fail. The 8yo other car will be replaced with electric. The last two things will be the furnace which will be replaced with a heat pump and the 2012 minivan, if it needs to be replaced, will be replaced with either a used EV truck/minivan when the time comes.
    There you….good start. So where are you taking all your electric appliances power from? You have to upgrade your PV too and go dark at night w flashlights w hand crank dynamo.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    mac_dog said:
    All the negativity. Clearly, it’s so much easier to focus on the negatives than the positives this move will offer and the ripple effect this will generate. I don’t see any other company willing to step up to the plate to get this going. God knows our leadership isn’t doing shit about it. 

How about some positive attitudes about this? We sure need it. 
    Hehe. Have you read the recent reviews of Apple iPads and operating systems?

Head up. Always move forward. There is no other choice. Biden has been surprisingly effective with his 2 year window. It's not the mobilization that should happen, but it is good given the circumstances. The virtuous cycle that solar+storage+EV is undeniable now. It's to the point that the walls that people have put up against them are beginning to crumble. The car companies are finally transitioning. Even Toyota and Honda are finally realizing this. Toyota not being all in on EVs is definitely a head scratcher. Long term energy storage is starting to make it into production.

Getting this virtual cycle going has been long, so long. By virtuous cycle I mean mass production makes solar, batteries, storage cheaper. Being cheaper increases the demand. More demand means more mass production which makes them even more cheaper. There are pathways to 30, 40, to 50% efficient solar PV. There are pathways to higher density lithium storage, pathways to long term energy storage.

It's all coming. As an end consumer, if you have the means, don't wait. Solar PV and EV will reduce your energy costs by $2k to $3k a year. Payback times are under 10 years now. When vehicle-to-load and vehicle-to-home becomes prevalent, that's when the shit is really going to hit the fan. I'm just patiently waiting on an EV with V2H functionality at something like 4 kW. Two of them plus the solar PV means I can run the house independently and indefinitely from the grid.
    Alex_V
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 215member
    person said:
    I certainly hope so, because the old world order sure is a mess. 
    muthuk_vanalingamthtDAalseth
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Kuyangkoh said:
    tht said:
    There you….good start. So where are you taking all your electric appliances power from? You have to upgrade your PV too and go dark at night w flashlights w hand crank dynamo.
    When the sun shines, the panels power all electricity drawing devices, and the leftover from the panels go back into the grid, which help power other grid users. It's minuscule, but contributes nonetheless. Well, Green Mountain Energy gets the "energy" the panels put into the grid, and if the circumstances are right, they will be able to sell that energy at much higher prices. ERCOT has spot pricing which can be >10x of the average energy price, so they probably are making money. I need to do some math on that.

When the sun doesn't shine, I get it from the grid. I have a 100% renewable energy plan from Green Mountain Energy at 18¢/kWH. With that, my money goes towards funding renewable energy, even though it is time shifted. I should have shopped as I think other energy companies in ERCOT are doing 1:1 solar PV buybacks (not netmetering, more like crediting) GME was is is doing, just cheaper.

In terms of power, ERCOT is about at 25% wind+solar and about 30% carbon free if you include hydro and nuclear. ERCOT's grid has been sitting at about 50% wind and solar for the last 2 to 3 hours actually (not a typical day, currently). I charge the EV starting at about 2 AM. ERCOT is about 30% to 40% wind in the early morning hours. Add in the nuclear and the hydro, maybe 40% to 45% carbon free on average in the early AM hours.

So, if Apple's clean energy charging is doing the right thing, it should be charging iPhones at night for ERCOT consumers. Conveniently dovetails with the delayed overnight charging and a lot of iPhone consumers won't even see a difference.