Greg Joswiak confirms iPhone's future move to USB-C

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2022
Apple's vice president of worldwide marketing confirms that Apple will swap out the Lightning connector for USB-C to comply with EU regulations.

Greg Joswiak, known as "Joz," spoke at the Wall Street Journal's Tech Live event on Tuesday evening.

He said Apple agreed with the European Union's decision to require a standardized charger for consumer devices.

"Obviously, we'll have to comply. We have no choice." he stated.

On Monday, the European Union gave its final approval to the standard charger directive, a plan that will force Apple and other electronics producers to use USB-C by the end of 2024.

Under the plan, USB-C ports will become mandatory on most consumer devices, including tablets, smartphones, keyboards, mice, game consoles, headphones, and more.

The hope is that the move will improve consumer convenience and reduce electronic waste significantly.

A new report claims that the forthcoming iPhone 15 range will switch to USB-C charging, and that Apple will still produce four models, with bigger feature differences than the iPhone 14 family has.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    This was inevitable without the EU’s mandates.

It makes sense now that Apple controls all the developments of their chips. Off the shelf controllers were probably too bulky or slow for iPhones.
    jeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 55
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    I may be a iPhone 15 launch day buyer. My Xr is sorta dying, but want the USB-C to replace it.
    lkruppgrandact73llamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 55
    I thought they had until 2024?
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 55
    I hope like hell they also add a Thunderbolt/USB4 controller while they're at it.

If they're going to be adding USB-C and allow users to take Pro Raw photos and ProRes video, they ought to supply a way to get the content off the phones in a reasonable timeframe.
    edited October 2022 dasjettalkruppcaladanianllamasphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 55
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Is there any advantage of Lightning over USB-C? Having one charger is a huge convenience imo. 
    jeffharrisgrandact73
  • Reply 6 of 55
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    tyler82 said:
    Is there any advantage of Lightning over USB-C? Having one charger is a huge convenience imo. 
    Depending know what the data transfer standard adopted for the USB-C form factor is, USB-C is more advanced from a data transfer / data rate perspective.  Lightning is physically a more robust plug/connection (there will be people that argue this but AI and others have had articles explaining it and I’ve personally had
    more issues with intermittent USB-C type connectors).  
    JWSCMplsPM68000blastdoorsphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 55
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Great! Now that it’s been officially confirmed by Apple itself, maybe we’ll get a break from the 5 articles a day whenever a new analyst makes their bold prediction. 
    nubuscaladanianllamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 55
    Not only was it inevitable because of the EU mandate but Apple was heading that way anyway. Just look at the iPad pro. The only surprise was that Apple didn't make the change for the iPhone 14. It's either a design issue with the smaller form factor (seems unlikely) or an economic factor (eek the last dregs of value from stocks of lightning components before they have to go USB-C anyway). I didn't buy the 13 or 14 as I'm holding out for the USB-C version compatible with my iPad Pro so BRING ON THE 15!!! :smile: 
    nubuscaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 55
    What component are they going to sacrifice to make room? I mean that was always the silly excuse right?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 55
    Anilu_777 said:
    Since new iPhones are released in September, next year’s iPhone 15 (Sept 2023) will carry well into 2024. Not sure if there’s a compliance month too but if it’s by Jan 1, 2024, they’re not going to produce special mid cycle iPhone 15’s with USB-C… or will they? Lol. Wouldn’t put it past them. 
  • Reply 11 of 55
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    Anilu_777 said:

There is a rumor that Apple engineers wanted to move to USB-C only on all iApple devices, but that Apple was waiting for the EU decision, as it helps to sell the idea to the market.  So once the decision by the EU was made, Apple is full steaming ahead with a USB-C iPhone.
    hmlongco
  • Reply 12 of 55
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,621member
    Apple: twist my arm, please, twist it harder, please don’t make us consolidate out product line charging and simplify our accessory production, and for heavens sakes don’t let us create new products to upsell, the horror!

Honestly, despite bureaucratic overreach, which is normally absurd, this actually seems like a win win win situation. Apple gets to sell more charging accessories, simplify its charging line for more efficient product production and support, and sell upgraded versions of devices, while customers benefit from simplified/unified charging, and the bureaucrats get to claim they’re ‘for the people.’ All seems pretty good to me. 

I’m just twiddling my thumbs waiting for a hermetically sealed, slim iPhone with no ports. 

Of course, e waste will increase, the opposite of the alleged goal of this nonsense, but when has logic ever applied to environmental issues these days? Entire US states have banned plastic straws because they saw one picture of a turtle with one straw up its nose, with a >%90 chance that straw came from Asia or South America. Thank god it wasn’t a fork!! The take out business would be in big trouble with forks, but not because of the large, single use plastic containers they use, of course (stop trying to include logic in these things). The most important thing is to believe what they say, because that’s what makes you a good person and part of the tribe. 
    Single use plastics for widespread consumer use should never have been allowed. 

A perfect example of legislation following industry trends and why legislation is inevitably necessary to help right certain wrongs. 

Now we know a whole lot more about microplastics, too. 

Remember when toothpaste came filled with plastic particles that had zero benefit to cleaning teeth? Crazy moves for the whims of marketing people. 
    mystigoelijahg
  • Reply 13 of 55
    Not only was it inevitable because of the EU mandate but Apple was heading that way anyway. Just look at the iPad pro. The only surprise was that Apple didn't make the change for the iPhone 14. It's either a design issue with the smaller form factor (seems unlikely) or an economic factor (eek the last dregs of value from stocks of lightning components before they have to go USB-C anyway). I didn't buy the 13 or 14 as I'm holding out for the USB-C version compatible with my iPad Pro so BRING ON THE 15!!! :smile: 
    More likely the reason for the hold out is the vast number of lightning accessories that people own that will now be obsolete.  Everything is going wireless anyway so the EU is forcing people to throw away more outdated tech in order to satisfy their climate agenda. 
    JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 55
    omasouomasou Posts: 562member
    Everyone may standardize on a physical USB-C connector but oh the confusion of the protocols!

This cable supports charging up to # watts but not data. This is USB 3.2 Gen 1x1...no wait...I meant USB 3.1 Gen 1...oh silly me they are the same thing /s

JWSCcaladanianelijahgllama
  • Reply 15 of 55
    nubusnubus Posts: 355member
    iPhone 15 is obvious for USB C. iPhone 14 Pro will be discontinued well before this is a problem. The real impact is on iPhone 14. Apple can't do like iPhone 12 and continue for +2 years. They will have to clear the channel for all devices well in advance. On January 1st 2025 devices sold will need USB C. To sell iPhone 14 Apple will have to introduce an iPhone "14c". If Apple had introduced iPhone 14 with USB C this wouldn't have been an issue. Votes were 602 to 13 on this so a change seems very unlikely.
    muthuk_vanalingamcaladanian
  • Reply 16 of 55
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Hermetically sealed iPhones - no ports.  End of story.
    kurai_kagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 55
    BigBWSRBigBWSR Posts: 10unconfirmed, member
    What I wonder is how can something be locked to usb-c without becoming obsolete data and power wise? 

What happens when there’s a newer much better type of connector? Can you imagine if we were forced to stick with a scsi cable? In a handful of years it’s possible usb-c will be the equivalent of that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 55
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    Ok I don't get this. People moaning and wailing about how horrible it is that Apple is being forced to switch to a USB C port, complaining "what happens when the USB C port is outdated?" and then saying "well we should just remove the port!" (picture a toddler stamping his feet and pouting) If you think the phone will be fine without a port, what difference does it make what port it has? And how in God's name can you be concerned that the EU has locked the iPhone to a port that will be outdated and then argue that it doesn't need aport at all?

bala1234williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamgrandact73watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 55
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    BigBWSR said:
    What I wonder is how can something be locked to usb-c without becoming obsolete data and power wise? 

What happens when there’s a newer much better type of connector? Can you imagine if we were forced to stick with a scsi cable? In a handful of years it’s possible usb-c will be the equivalent of that.
    You're worrying about this while the lightning port is still limited to USB 2 speeds??? USB 4 (which can run on the USB C connector) supports speeds up to 40 Gbps, 80x that of USB 2 speeds that we have right now. How can you be ok with the fact that Apple has stuck with outdated speeds for the last 5 years and then say you worry about USB C limiting?

As far as power goes,  USB C can supply up to 180w of power. Do you ever think your iPhone will need more than that?

nadrielwilliamlondoncaladanianmuthuk_vanalingamelijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 55
    I feel this is just a start. How would you feel if the EU said next every phone will have a certain screen resolution, or be manufactured in one of the EU countries? Who owns the USB-C standard? What are the interests of the EU and their relationship with companies holding the USB-C standard? If this was a mandate in the US you could bet someone in Congress would be pushing a company in their portfolio would be awarded a contract to manufacture parts that companies like Apple and Samsung would need to comply. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra