macOS Ventura review: Great features & promise, but not all here yet

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    dewme said:
    The end result was that my non-subscription version of 1Password showed up as expired and I had no way to redownload it. I threw in the towel and signed up for a subscription...
    I myself am still using the standalone (non-subscription) version 7.9.6 of 1Password and loving the freedom to not pay endlessly.  I don't think it's a joke about us having to cut back on things to pay for those crazy, endlessly recurring fees. People who are young and have good jobs now can afford it, maybe, but what about when they get older or otherwise face hard times?  It is then that the huge benefits of the old software model of "buy it and use it until you want to upgrade" become abundantly clear.  That's also why the Affinity suite of apps is so great versus Adobe.  With Affinity apps, your neck isn't chained to a never ending subscription.

But in terms of your old Apple ID that forced you into a subscription, is that one of the ID's which are not in the form of an email address?  I had one of those and loved it.  I only converted it to an email address form Apple ID so as to apply for the silly Apple Card (credit card), but I've been denied multiple times because stupid Equifax has my name merged with my brother's name, and they claim my identity cannot be verified.  Why they can't use Trans Union or something other that stupid Equifax is beyond me.  So I'm left with a new Apple ID that I really didn't need to convert at all since the Apple Card is still out of reach for me.

I've not tried to upgrade to Ventura yet.  The newest Mac I have is still on Monterey.  All my older Macs are on High Sierra or Mojave and work fine.  Honestly, if I had a choice between sticking with a non-subscription piece of software and upgrading to Ventura, I'd still with Monterey to retain more of my money.  Subscription models are ultimately NOT in the best interest of the consumer.
    muthuk_vanalingamdewme
  • Reply 22 of 32
         Stabitha_Christie said:

It takes four paragraphs until an actual Venture feature is even mentioned. How? How much of a lead up does one actually need? And complaining about issues in       the betas that have been resolved? WTF? Does AI not have an editorial process? How did this mess get published?

Click bait will do that to you.  Even the review itself is sketchy... "you're going to love this... unless you don't".  I'm sticking with Catalina for a while longer.  It's stable, MacOS doesn't try to outsmart me with how I need to arrange my control bar icons, I get to manage my palette, all my after-market products work great.  I have no need for the "improved" MacOS, and making it more like my iPhone is NOT a selling feature.  It's a pipe dream that they'll ever actually unify the OS architecture, proved by the fact they can't even get iPhones and iPads (essentially the same thing in different form factors) to have a unified OS.  I'm an Apple fan, but I'm not dropping $3k a year to keep up with the latest iPhone (seriously, every year?  at $1400 a pop?) and MBP. 
    edited October 2022
  • Reply 23 of 32
    I always wait for a couple of interim updates before doing a major system upgrade, hoping that early bugs are squashed and I’m not playing unpaid beta tester.
    This release looks no different.

Monterey is still buggy as hell.

I skipped a number of major releases after Apple decided to kill off 32-bit application support.

This forced, yearly upgrade cycle is really quite infuriating. Apple and so many other companies do it, too.

Newness for the sake of newness at the expense of stability. 
    And change for the sake of change. UGH.
    Catalina all the way... I refused to succumb to the Cupertino overlords until they start paying attention to user feedback instead of building stuff because they think it is cool.  Steve Jobs weeps in heaven.  
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 24 of 32
    crowley said:

Your monitor is having an identity crisis; it seems to think it's a MacBook Pro with a notch.
    Not to mention the actual non-screen bezel from the MacBook Pro display assembly at the bottom
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Vertium said:
    Click bait will do that to you.  Even the review itself is sketchy... "you're going to love this... unless you don't".  I'm sticking with Catalina for a while longer.  It's stable, MacOS doesn't try to outsmart me with how I need to arrange my control bar icons, I get to manage my palette, all my after-market products work great.  I have no need for the "improved" MacOS, and making it more like my iPhone is NOT a selling feature.  It's a pipe dream that they'll ever actually unify the OS architecture, proved by the fact they can't even get iPhones and iPads (essentially the same thing in different form factors) to have a unified OS.  I'm an Apple fan, but I'm not dropping $3k a year to keep up with the latest iPhone (seriously, every year?  at $1400 a pop?) and MBP. 
    They aren't trying to "unify" the OSes. They've outright said they're not doing that. They purposely forked iOS and iPadOS. Nobody said you have to buy a new iPhone/MacBook Pro every year. What a bunch of FUD.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Personally I think the settings UI is an improvement once the inexplicable bugs are sorted. 

I’m sad at the loss of the nostalgic Max stuff though. So much character and fun little quirks in the design. I like a serious OS. But not at the expense of “those little things you do.” 

Still remember when I first came to Mac from the Windows world. What An amazing oasis. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 32
    I absolutely love Ventura. Installed it on my M1 Mac mini and 14" MBP. No issues whatsoever..

Ventura fixes 2 main issues that I've had with macOS.

1) The system settings/preferences pane being dynamic since the original Mac OS X. I've hated it when  it first came out how it dynamically resizes. So annoying. Also, the categories seem to be arbitrary with sometimes no relation to one another. The new panel is mostly static and categorized a lot better. Still needs some work as some settings seem to be unnecessarily buried.

2) Stage Manager. Few people might remember this, but the original beta Mac OS X had a single window mode. It was this oblong button on the top of every window. Unfortunately it never made it to the real version. Love how it is now. Takes a slight learning curve to know what my windows were doing, but I love it, because I normally go single window move but not full screen. I don't like taking apps full screen (some of them are ok like Mail), because switching between apps is jarring.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 32
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    Vertium said:
    They aren't trying to "unify" the OSes. They've outright said they're not doing that. They purposely forked iOS and iPadOS. Nobody said you have to buy a new iPhone/MacBook Pro every year. What a bunch of FUD.
    Apple hasn't technically forked it.  They just re-branded it.  iPadOS is still iOS under the hood.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 32
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Vertium said:
    Apple hasn't technically forked it.  They just re-branded it.  iPadOS is still iOS under the hood.
    Are you suggesting iOS and iPadOS are the exact same code other than the name? 
  • Reply 30 of 32
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    jdw said:
    dewme said:
    The end result was that my non-subscription version of 1Password showed up as expired and I had no way to redownload it. I threw in the towel and signed up for a subscription...
    I myself am still using the standalone (non-subscription) version 7.9.6 of 1Password and loving the freedom to not pay endlessly.  I don't think it's a joke about us having to cut back on things to pay for those crazy, endlessly recurring fees. People who are young and have good jobs now can afford it, maybe, but what about when they get older or otherwise face hard times?  It is then that the huge benefits of the old software model of "buy it and use it until you want to upgrade" become abundantly clear.  That's also why the Affinity suite of apps is so great versus Adobe.  With Affinity apps, your neck isn't chained to a never ending subscription.

But in terms of your old Apple ID that forced you into a subscription, is that one of the ID's which are not in the form of an email address?  I had one of those and loved it.  I only converted it to an email address form Apple ID so as to apply for the silly Apple Card (credit card), but I've been denied multiple times because stupid Equifax has my name merged with my brother's name, and they claim my identity cannot be verified.  Why they can't use Trans Union or something other that stupid Equifax is beyond me.  So I'm left with a new Apple ID that I really didn't need to convert at all since the Apple Card is still out of reach for me.

I've not tried to upgrade to Ventura yet.  The newest Mac I have is still on Monterey.  All my older Macs are on High Sierra or Mojave and work fine.  Honestly, if I had a choice between sticking with a non-subscription piece of software and upgrading to Ventura, I'd still with Monterey to retain more of my money.  Subscription models are ultimately NOT in the best interest of the consumer.

Hopefully my issues were specifically related to my having two Apple IDs. Or maybe I screwed something up.

As far as subscriptions are concerned, I don't think anyone really likes them a whole lot other than the software owners who have a recurring revenue stream that allows them to continue to support the maintenance and upkeep of their apps. As a software developer I know the subscription model is a lot more complicated than most people think. I won't get into too much detail because it's too esoteric for most people. I will say that once a software development organization adopts a subscription model it fundamentally changes how the organization develops software forever.

The software development world has been embracing modern processes like development operations (DevOps) and continuous integration and delivery (CI/CD). These are inherently built around incrementalism and continuous refinement. It would be extremely difficult to pull this stuff off without subscriptions supporting the ongoing process. It's one of the reasons why we see nearly constant but mostly incremental updates to software these days rather than the really big "new version release events" that used to be the case. All software has gotten bigger, more complex, and expensive to develop.

There are fewer companies that can pull off big new releases that compel customers to pay for upgrades on a frequent enough basis to keep their increasingly expensive operations going. Obviously some can, like Affinity with its amazing suite of affordable products, but they are part of what is now an exceptional subset of the market. Of course Apple can afford to do it too because they have some pretty good side hustles going on that help support their software development costs, if you know what I mean. But even Apple is riding the modern software development process train and their software releases and protracted beta phases have become much more incremental in nature. New macOS, iOS, and iPadOS versions aren't trivial by any means, but if Apple was charging upgrade fees for them I think a lot mjore folks would have skipped one or two of the ones that have been released in the past few years.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    oldenboomoldenboom Posts: 29unconfirmed, member
    A co-worker installed Ventura on his M1 Air. That worked well until he hooked up his 27" LG 4K monitor. With Montery he could use scaling without problems, with Ventura only native resolutions. The 3840x2160 displays everything way too small. Without scaling Ventura is a no go for me as I also use 27" LG 4K screens at home and at the office.

I was considering to replace my Intel 16" MBP for the expected M2 Pro MB Pro. But as that laptop will definately have Ventura installed, I will just keep using my Intel MBP with Montery at least until Apple fixes this.

I'm very disappointed in Apple as this scaling bug was already reported at Apple over 5 months ago. IMO this bug should have been a stopper. I've read of other people also experiencing this problem, like with Philips 4K screens. I've also read some people stating some dongles do seem to allow Ventura to scale the content to the LG native resolution. How come?