EU finalizes charger rule forcing USB-C on iPhones in 2024

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    Although I'm expecting Apple to comply, it might be able to escape the requirement if it leased its iPhones instead of selling them to customers in Europe. The actual European legal document seems to be talking about selling devices, not leasing them.
    Manufacturers generally do not lease their products. They sell them to financial services (often, but not always, subsidiary companies) that then lease them to customers. 

That counts as a sale. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 31
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    blastdoor said:
    "We all have at least three mobile phone chargers at home. Looking for the right charger, either at home or at work, can be quite annoying,"

All of my mobile phone, tablet, keyboard, trackpad, and AirPod chargers use lightning. All of those lightning chargers and cables will go in the trash once I start having to buy devices that use USB-C rather than lightning. So at least in my household, e-waste will be going up as a result of this law, not down. 

Historically, the real problem with chargers and cables was in the non-Apple world, with all the goofy and pointless variations. I suppose this law/rule will help with that situation, but I think it does more harm than good for Apple customers. 

How strange.  All of my Apple chargers have USB A ports, not Lightning.   But I will have to replace a whole bunch of Lightning cables with USB C ones. 
  • Reply 23 of 31
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    blastdoor said:
    "We all have at least three mobile phone chargers at home. Looking for the right charger, either at home or at work, can be quite annoying,"

All of my mobile phone, tablet, keyboard, trackpad, and AirPod chargers use lightning. All of those lightning chargers and cables will go in the trash once I start having to buy devices that use USB-C rather than lightning. So at least in my household, e-waste will be going up as a result of this law, not down. 

Historically, the real problem with chargers and cables was in the non-Apple world, with all the goofy and pointless variations. I suppose this law/rule will help with that situation, but I think it does more harm than good for Apple customers. 

In the EU, none of your e-waste should go into the trash. It should be recycled or disposed of safely. 

Since the WEEE directive came into force many years ago, the cost of collection, recycling and safe disposal of e-waste is included in the price of the device. 

It is actually illegal to dump e-waste where I live and I have literally no reason to do it. 

There are mini green points built into street level advertising panels (batteries, bulbs, phones, CDs etc). 

There is a mobile green point 800m from my house every Friday. There is a fixed green point 3km away. 

On top of that, if I renew any device or electrical appliance, the seller is obliged to pick up the old one if I request it, at no extra cost, and put it into the correct recycling channels. 

The same applies to virtually anything that I want to get rid of but that is a local council thing, not an EU directive. So if I want to dump an old mattress, all I have to do is call the council and they will give me a date and time to leave it in the street and they will come and pick it up. Same applies to furniture etc. 

On the EU side of things, domestic and industrial oils are collected. There are containers for paper, glass, plastic and metal plus one for organic waste. 

Very little of the waste I produce daily goes to landfill. 

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 31
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    avon b7 said:
    blastdoor said:

In the EU, none of your e-waste should go into the trash. It should be recycled or disposed of safely. 

Since the WEEE directive came into force many years ago, the cost of collection, recycling and safe disposal of e-waste is included in the price of the device. 

It is actually illegal to dump e-waste where I live and I have literally no reason to do it. 

There are mini green points built into street level advertising panels (batteries, bulbs, phones, CDs etc). 

There is a mobile green point 800m from my house every Friday. There is a fixed green point 3km away. 

On top of that, if I renew any device or electrical appliance, the seller is obliged to pick up the old one if I request it, at no extra cost, and put it into the correct recycling channels. 

The same applies to virtually anything that I want to get rid of but that is a local council thing, not an EU directive. So if I want to dump an old mattress, all I have to do is call the council and they will give me a date and time to leave it in the street and they will come and pick it up. Same applies to furniture etc. 

On the EU side of things, domestic and industrial oils are collected. There are containers for paper, glass, plastic and metal plus one for organic waste. 

That all sounds great — but if there’s no e-waste in the EU, why do we need this law?
  • Reply 25 of 31
    blastdoor said:

And who told you you are majority in this world. Unfortunately Apple mobile devices are not majority of market in EU and in other parts of world. Do not judge the rest of world based on your own yard.

And yes I still have that old junk Apple cables with wide connector for their first generations mobile devices. I did not complain when they switched to Lightning or when they ditched that Firewire/IEEE1394 to replace with USB that was supposedly inferior to theirs and so much fought for by Apple cult fans. Yet we are on USB and USB-C is just the next logic step with all what Apple does.
    Show me where I wrote that I am “the majority in this world.”
  • Reply 26 of 31
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    blastdoor said:
    avon b7 said:
    blastdoor said:

That all sounds great — but if there’s no e-waste in the EU, why do we need this law?
    Reduce > Reuse > Recycle
  • Reply 27 of 31
    blastdoor said:
    avon b7 said:
    blastdoor said:

E-waste is inevitable but lengthening useful lifespans and providing for recycling or safe disposal all forms part of the so called circular economy. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 31
    avon b7 said:
    blastdoor said:
    avon b7 said:
    blastdoor said:

E-waste is inevitable but lengthening useful lifespans and providing for recycling or safe disposal all forms part of the so called circular economy. 
    And this law reduces the lifespan of all my lightning cables. I would use them until they disintegrate, but if all my devices change then what's the point? I think the EU-fans are stuck in a logical loop.  I also think that if Apple's name was Pomme with an HQ in Paris then the law would be to standardize on either/both Lightning and USB. 

But whatever -- this law is clearly very popular in the EU and Apple has to comply, so there's no choice. So be happy EU-fans -- you're getting what you want.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    blastdoor said:
    avon b7 said:
    blastdoor said:
    avon b7 said:
    blastdoor said:

And this law reduces the lifespan of all my lightning cables. I would use them until they disintegrate, but if all my devices change then what's the point? I think the EU-fans are stuck in a logical loop.  I also think that if Apple's name was Pomme with an HQ in Paris then the law would be to standardize on either/both Lightning and USB. 

But whatever -- this law is clearly very popular in the EU and Apple has to comply, so there's no choice. So be happy EU-fans -- you're getting what you want.
    The law cannot resolve what is already on the market. It is is possible that your particular cables may see a reduction in lifespan as things transition to USB-C.

It won't change the projected net reductions in e-waste. 

The law was created to reduce e-waste, increase interoperability and eliminate fragmentation and it was fragmentation (lightning is in that bag) which made the law necessary in the first place. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 30 of 31
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    blastdoor said:
    avon b7 said:
    blastdoor said:
    avon b7 said:
    blastdoor said:

And this law reduces the lifespan of all my lightning cables. I would use them until they disintegrate, but if all my devices change then what's the point? 
    What's happening to all your devices?

It's unusual for a device to die before a cable.  If you're passing on the devices then pass the cables along with them.  No problem.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    crowley said:
    blastdoor said:
    avon b7 said:
    blastdoor said:
    avon b7 said:
    blastdoor said:

And this law reduces the lifespan of all my lightning cables. I would use them until they disintegrate, but if all my devices change then what's the point? 
    What's happening to all your devices?

It's unusual for a device to die before a cable.  If you're passing on the devices then pass the cables along with them.  No problem.
    I find cables stay in my possession longer than devices. I have lightning cables from my iPhone 5 that I still use having since upgraded to 7 and then to 11pro and now 13pro. 

I see kids running through the cables faster, but my cables tend to last.