2 Button Mouse?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Will Apple make one some day? OS X sure seems to like them (without a driver even)

I would love to see an optical 2 button mouse with wheel. Maybe wireless (with built-in antenna, or bluetooth?)

What do you think?

This is a valid issue I think!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    Well there's the rumor about a Bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse being introduced at MWSF. It sure would be nice if Apple added an extra button and scroll wheel, but somehow I doubt they will.

I don't understand why they are so stubborn on this. A single button mouse isn't any easier to use...I think it's actually harder because you need to remember more keyboard/mouse combos, and use two hands instead of one.

If the new wireless mouse had two buttons w/scroll wheel, I'd even buy one, and I already have a mouse that I'm happy with. Apple makes such cool mice, but as long as they're single button I have no use for them.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    no, what I want is the original rumor concept apple pro mouse. The one that "pivots" in all directions depending on how you twist your wrist.

Up/down - scroll up/down

left/right - left/right click
  • Reply 3 of 43
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Five button mouse rules
  • Reply 4 of 43
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    As someone who's still blissfully using the hockey puck, both at home AND at work, I should probably stay out of this.

• Reply 5 of 43
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I doubt we'll see one any time soon. It's just so un-Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    I would love it if Apple made one with 3 buttons actually but don't hold your breath. They have said before that a 1 button mouse is easier for the av user and keeps with the whole simplistic thing Apple is know for.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    [quote]I doubt we'll see one any time soon. It's just so un-Apple.<hr></blockquote>

The odd thing is, Steve Jobs insisted on having a 3-button mouse on the first Mac.

It was vetoed by the HI team.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    [quote]Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:

<strong>

The odd thing is, Steve Jobs insisted on having a 3-button mouse on the first Mac.

It was vetoed by the HI team.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Really? I didn't know that.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    [quote]Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:

<strong>

It was vetoed by the HI team.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Truly? I wonder what the original Mac could have used three buttons forr... no contextual menus, no secondary fire triggers...
  • Reply 10 of 43
    although we have all heard stories of apple playing around with multi-button mice, I don't think they will ever introduce one unless they can get it to work well with users (user-friendly?) so many windows users don't understand how to really use a two button mouse. With apple's new os they might be able to pull off a multi button mouse for the less computer savvy with a little new tech and design which i'm sure apple must have at their disposal.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by dstranathan:

<strong>I would love to see an optical 2 button mouse with wheel.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If I had to pick, I would choose the scrolling wheel over a second mouse button. I don't think there's anything unintuitive about a scrolling wheel. I would kill for an Apple optical mouse with wheel.

J.D. makes a good point that a single button mouse with keystrokes with the other hand is more difficult to use than a two button mouse.

IMHO, wireless is a joke (for now). There's too much lag in the signal, especially when there's a sleep mode to conserve battery life.

Gonzo: Where did you get the story about Jobs wanting a 3 button mouse on the original Mac? Sounds more like a piece of urban lore or fiction to me.

Escher
  • Reply 12 of 43
    [quote]Originally posted by The Toolboi:

<strong>no, what I want is the original rumor concept apple pro mouse. The one that "pivots" in all directions depending on how you twist your wrist.

Up/down - scroll up/down

left/right - left/right click</strong><hr></blockquote>

This isn't quite what you are talking about but I think you will be quite interested to see this new mouse <a href="http://www.lindy.com"; target="_blank">which was released by LINDY</a> just over a month ago.

As you can see, the mouse right and left clicks by way of a rocker. It also has a scroll wheel which, I believe, has a third button as well. It's optical and quite an attractive design to boot.

I'm not too sure how much I would like the rocker concept in action: I think I might get a tired wrist quite quickly. But it certainly allows for a contoured/sculpted design that you can imagine Apple having designed or at least dreamt up in their workshops.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    That lindy mouse is awesome, I want one

I wish it was black and clear like the pro mouse though, I really like the Pro mouse design
  • Reply 14 of 43
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by Retrograde:

<strong>

This isn't quite what you are talking about but I think you will be quite interested to see this new mouse <a href="http://www.lindy.com"; target="_blank">which was released by LINDY</a> just over a month ago.

As you can see, the mouse right and left clicks by way of a rocker. It also has a scroll wheel which, I believe, has a third button as well. It's optical and quite an attractive design to boot.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

That would look sweet with my iBook
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Yes, I have to admit KidRed the Lindy mouse would look particularly gorgeous with the new white iBook or with a Snow iMac. :cool:
  • Reply 16 of 43
    Wow, that mousse is pretty cool looking.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>Wow, that mousse is pretty cool looking.</strong><hr></blockquote>

mmmmmmmmm.... mousse
  • Reply 18 of 43
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    [quote]Originally posted by The Toolboi:

<strong>no, what I want is the original rumor concept apple pro mouse. The one that "pivots" in all directions depending on how you twist your wrist.

Up/down - scroll up/down

left/right - left/right click</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ah the wrist cramp nightmares that would cause.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    Who cares what a mouse looks like with your computer.. it's a mouse. Your hand will be covering it.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    I just ordered a LINDY mouse. Lindy is in the UK. I live in the USA, and I wonder if they will ship from the UK. The website is a bit confusing as far as shipping restrictions are concerned...

Anyone have a Lindy?

What do you think?