Apple boasts iPad Pro packaging is 99% made from sustainable forests

Posted:
in iPad
The new iPad Pro comes in packaging that is almost entirely fiber-based, and is completely biodegradeable, says Apple's Lisa Jackson.

Back in 2015, Apple partnered with The Conservation Fund to buy over 36,000 acres of vulnerable forestland in Maine and North Carolina. That, and subsequent efforts, were specifically in order to sustainably create materials that could be used for product packaging, and so cut down on plastic use.

We're working to remove all plastic from our packaging by 2025. That's why the new iPad Pro has 99% fiber-based packaging, which comes from sustainable forests and is 100% biodegradable. https://t.co/97bKH2xs4S

-- Lisa P. Jackson (@lisapjackson)

Now Lisa Jackson, Apple's Vice President of Environment, Policy, and Social Initiatives has revealed how far the plans have come with the packaging for the new iPad Pro.

Jackson did not say what the percentage of fibre-based packing is used for the new 10th-generation iPad, if any. She has previously outlined Apple's overall efforts for sustainability, however.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    36,000 acres is about 56 square miles.  That's about 20ish% smaller than the District of Columbia.  That seems like a somewhat significant area to just buy.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    That's why the iPad Pro is too expensive, I guess.
    JP234lkruppwilliamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 12
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I guess I’d like to know more about what they’re doing. Buying vulnerable forests is great but it sounds like they then cut them down to make boxes, which isn’t really preserving them. That can’t be right, I’d just like to know what they are doing. For starters, just what do they mean by vulnerable forestland?
    edited October 2022 Oferwilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    alexjenn said:
    Class envy?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    DAalseth said:
    I guess I’d like to know more about what they’re doing. Buying vulnerable forests is great but it sounds like they then cut them down to make boxes, which isn’t really preserving them. That can’t be right, I’d just like to know what they are doing. For starters, just what do they mean by vulnerable forestland?
    Have you looked up the word “sustainable” yet? Do some research into how sustainable forest management works. It doesn’t mean leave everything untouched. Part of it means harvest sections and replant, rotate, sustain. We’re not talking preserving old growth here. Just saying.
    edited October 2022 Alex_Vnetroxracerhomie3williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Recycled paper and cardboard box next time. Missed opportunity. I have seen new packages where the item - a Philips
    OneBlade razor - was packed in minimalistic cardboard with just two basic stickers.  If Apple cares about the environment they could do the same. 
    edited October 2022 Alex_VlkruppnubusOferwilliamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 12
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    alexjenn said:
    Not really. It's remarkably competitive. 

And if you already owned iPad Pro, you can trade in for credit. 

I traded my old iPad Pro for M2 and the credit is $400.... so the $1100 becomes $700. 

Hardly "expensive" given its superior performance and quality. It will last for three years for me which turns out to be around $20 a month.  

racerhomie3lolliver
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Xavalon said:
    Recycled paper and cardboard box next time. Missed opportunity. I have seen new packages where the item - a Philips
    OneBlade razor - was packed in minimalistic cardboard with just two basic stickers.  If Apple cares about the environment they could do the same. 
    Unfortunately, I don’t know if you can compare a one blade razor to a technical device with so much tech packed into a tight package. Some consideration has to be taken into account protecting these devices during shipping and handling.
    williamlondonlolliver
  • Reply 9 of 12
    netrox said:
    alexjenn said:
    Not really. It's remarkably competitive. 

And if you already owned iPad Pro, you can trade in for credit. 

I traded my old iPad Pro for M2 and the credit is $400.... so the $1100 becomes $700. 

Hardly "expensive" given its superior performance and quality. It will last for three years for me which turns out to be around $20 a month.  

I do the same thing with my trade in strategy. 
  • Reply 10 of 12
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    lkrupp said:
    DAalseth said:
    Have you looked up the word “sustainable” yet? Do some research into how sustainable forest management works. It doesn’t mean leave everything untouched. Part of it means harvest sections and replant, rotate, sustain. We’re not talking preserving old growth here. Just saying.
    LOL I grew up in the Pacific,Northwest. I live in BC. I know the theory of sustainable forest management, heck, they taught it to us in school. My question is what is Apple doing? 
  • Reply 11 of 12
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    DAalseth said:
    lkrupp said:
    DAalseth said:
    LOL I grew up in the Pacific,Northwest. I live in BC. I know the theory of sustainable forest management, heck, they taught it to us in school. My question is what is Apple doing? 
    https://www.worldwildlife.org/stories/wwf-and-apple-help-improve-management-of-more-than-1-million-acres-of-china-s-forests
    https://wwf.panda.org/wwf_news/?246370/WWF-and-Apple-Commit-to-Help-Protect-Chinas-Forests

They do this on all the continents I think.

The ultimate goal for Apple, as stated by Lisa Jackson, is closed circuit, net-zero carbon manufacturing, where they will sustainably mine, recycle and mine trash for raw materials and use net-zero carbon energy sources for the life cycle of a product. So long road ahead.