Apple Music removes Kanye West playlist after controversy

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2022
Following other companies, Apple has removed a Kanye West playlist from Apple Music after the singer made antisemitic remarks on Twitter.

Item Not Available
Item Not Available

Apple has a curated playlist for the artist called Kanye West Essentials, usually available through this URL. However, clicking the link brings up a message saying, "Item Not Available."

Reported by the Independent as taken down on Thursday, AppleInsider has confirmed the playlist doesn't appear in the United States or the United Kingdom, and it has likely been removed for every market that Apple Music serves.

However, other content from West is still available on Apple Music, such as albums.

In early October, Instagram banned Kanye West from its platform after the artist posted a screenshot of a conversation he had with Sean "Diddy" Combs, with the caption "Jesus is Jew," according to NBC.

Kanye West Essentials is gone from Apple Music
Kanye West Essentials is gone from Apple Music

Then, on October 9, Kanye West tweeted that he would go "death con 3" on Jewish people. Twitter removed the tweet and locked West's account.

Other companies have followed suit since then, with Adidas, Gap, and Foot Locker ending partnerships with West and removing his products from their stores.

"Foot Locker, Inc. does not tolerate any form of antisemitism, or hateful and discriminatory behavior. While we remain a partner with Adidas and carry a wide assortment of their collections - we will not be supporting any future Yeezy product drops," a Foot Locker spokesperson told CNBC.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    "after the singer make antisemitic remarks on Twitter"

Really?
    Gadgetguy2.0williamlondonCluntBaby92watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 22
    It’s the marketplace of ideas. And we’re discovering that Kanye’s latest ideas have a negative value. 
    9secondkox2Oferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 22
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member

I have zero sympathy for "Ye" with his recent behaviour.

Really?
    Yes, AppleInsider articles are frequently full of typos. Also, apparently I’ve been banned for pointing this out so be careful! They can criticize but clearly don’t like receiving any.

I've pointed these typos and grammatical errors out, too. If we don't, we're allowing them to continue. Online publications everywhere have gone downhill in terms of editorial quality. It seems to be more about getting fresh content online quickly rather than making sure that content is held to a certain standard. 
    Gadgetguy2.0williamlondonelijahgGrannySmith99sphericdrdavidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 22
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,120member

Really?
    Yes, AppleInsider articles are frequently full of typos. Also, apparently I’ve been banned for pointing this out so be careful! They can criticize but clearly don’t like receiving any.
    They emailed me once - they prefer you to send them (editor or author) a direct email rather than posting it in a public forum.
    ronnwilliamlondonholmstockdsphericdewmeravnorodomlolliverCluntBaby92watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 22
    What the heck?!?! 

The guy is mad at a couple people who happen to be Jewish over a deal he feels he was screwed on and says an irresponsible thing.  And his business gets freaking canceled? Because he SAID something? 

What is happening to the world
    williamlondonentropysCluntBaby92andrewj5790watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 22
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    Should have happened a while ago with his nonsense. He's been off his rocker for quite some time. Sadly he probably hasn't hit bottom yet.
    OferdrdavidlolliverITGUYINSDwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    What the heck?!?! 

The guy is mad at a couple people who happen to be Jewish over a deal he feels he was screwed on and says an irresponsible thing.  And his business gets freaking canceled? Because he SAID something? 

He did not understand he cannot smear a race in America. LA City council chairwoman was forced to resign because she smeared black and white behind the scene. 
    williamlondondrdavid
  • Reply 8 of 22
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    What the heck?!?! 

It is called being held responsible for your actions. LeVarr Burton called it a Culture of Accountability. And no it wasn’t JUST the comments. It was a decade of racist and sexist and homophobic comments and actions, It was the viciously racist White Lives Matter t-shirts. It was a history of things. The latest might have been the trigger, but he is finally out of second, third, fourth… chances. 

What really p****s me off is that his apologists keep trying to blame his supposed bipolar condition. They can just F right off, I KNOW neurodivergent people including BP ones. That isn’t the cause. They are just trying to make excuses for West being an AH, and in doing so make life harder for all of us who are truly ND.
    edited October 2022 williamlondonmknelsonfred1roundaboutnowOferdrdavidlolliverilarynxronnITGUYINSD
  • Reply 9 of 22
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    west has been unpersonned! Let’s celebrate!

And more importantly, track down those that aren’t celebrating enough.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 22
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,805member
    If only a guy named Walker could disappear……
    DAalsethilarynxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 22
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    I'm mainly amazed that Apple Insider is allowing any comments under a "controversial" and obviously "political" post.  I've never quite figured out the logic behind the censoring of comments under particular articles.  For example, posts under the MS Office deals are constantly banned, preventing me from saying that I actually bought that deal via Apple Insider a couple times and have benefitted from it, although one of the codes was bad on my second purchase and I had to get support to issue me a new code.  Anyway, I'm a firm believer in freedom of expression, so I can't help but roll my eyes when I see comments are locked out here on AI.  I wish it would stop.

As to Ye (not sure why everyone still calls him by his old name when he legally changed his name) and his freedom of expression, well, he's a political hot-button figure who spouts off without deep thought, similar to someone else we know in the political world.  The actions of Adidas, Foot Locker, Apple and others isn't surprising, as they are for-profit firms who will do whatever makes them look good at any given time, so as to benefit their bottom line.  It's about money and image for them, not a matter a principle, no matter what they say.

As to freedom of expression for well known celebrities, logic dictates they will be held to a higher standard in accordance with their "apparent influence."  Whether or not Ye has the power to set the world against one segment of the population (it is a "segment" because there is no such thing as biological "race") is subject to debate.  I doubt he does, but the corporations and Hollywood celebs have filed their grievances against him.  Had a non-celeb nobody said the same words as Ye, I doubt anyone would have noticed or cared.  

The moral of the story is that you should think before you exercise your freedom to speak; and even when you have something to say, consider not saying it.  

"A closed mouth catches no flies."
    CluntBaby92muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Wow. Finally. This guy is mental since day one.
    drdavidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 22
    OferOfer Posts: 237unconfirmed, member
    DAalseth said:
    What the heck?!?! 

It is called being held responsible for your actions. LeVarr Burton called it a Culture of Accountability. And no it wasn’t JUST the comments. It was a decade of racist and sexist and homophobic comments and actions, It was the viciously racist White Lives Matter t-shirts. It was a history of things. The latest might have been the trigger, but he is finally out of second, third, fourth… chances. 

What really p****s me off is that his apologists keep trying to blame his supposed bipolar condition. They can just F right off, I KNOW neurodivergent people including BP ones. That isn’t the cause. They are just trying to make excuses for West being an AH, and in doing so make life harder for all of us who are truly ND.
    Thank you! Agree 100%!

Fellow ND here and yeah, that’s a poor excuse for shitty, bigoted behaviour
    drdavidlolliverDAalsethwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 22
    jdw said:
    I'm mainly amazed that Apple Insider is allowing any comments under a "controversial" and obviously "political" post.  I've never quite figured out the logic behind the censoring of comments under particular articles.  For example, posts under the MS Office deals are constantly banned, preventing me from saying that I actually bought that deal via Apple Insider a couple times and have benefitted from it, although one of the codes was bad on my second purchase and I had to get support to issue me a new code.  Anyway, I'm a firm believer in freedom of expression, so I can't help but roll my eyes when I see comments are locked out here on AI.  I wish it would stop.

As to Ye (not sure why everyone still calls him by his old name when he legally changed his name) and his freedom of expression, well, he's a political hot-button figure who spouts off without deep thought, similar to someone else we know in the political world.  The actions of Adidas, Foot Locker, Apple and others isn't surprising, as they are for-profit firms who will do whatever makes them look good at any given time, so as to benefit their bottom line.  It's about money and image for them, not a matter a principle, no matter what they say.

As to freedom of expression for well known celebrities, logic dictates they will be held to a higher standard in accordance with their "apparent influence."  Whether or not Ye has the power to set the world against one segment of the population (it is a "segment" because there is no such thing as biological "race") is subject to debate.  I doubt he does, but the corporations and Hollywood celebs have filed their grievances against him.  Had a non-celeb nobody said the same words as Ye, I doubt anyone would have noticed or cared.  

The moral of the story is that you should think before you exercise your freedom to speak; and even when you have something to say, consider not saying it.  

"A closed mouth catches no flies."
    Obsequious pablum. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 22
    I really thought, Apple was above the cancel culture.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 22
    If cancel culture wants to cancel Kanye, then I stand with Kanye. 

Down with the sensitive democrats and their feelings. 

Who are they to deem what is offensive. 

Biden is the biggest racist I’ve ever heard….how come he wasn’t canceled. 
    JapheyCluntBaby92
  • Reply 17 of 22
    I really thought, Apple was above the cancel culture.
    I really though, Apple was above the anti-semitism. Oh. Hey! They are. Cool!

drdavidronn
  • Reply 18 of 22
    donrsd said:

People can't decide what's offensive? Only "donrsd" can decide? Interesting theory. Cranial sphincteritis isn't always terminal. Best of luck to you.
    drdavidronnITGUYINSD
  • Reply 19 of 22
    donrsd said:

"who are they to deem what is offensive" you sound like a leaking head injury.

idk, maybe ask Jewish people who had family gassed. maybe realize the brave US servicemen who were in Europe for WWII

freedom of speech not freedom of consequences. if you don't understand, then you don't understand. try really hard to keep up with civilized society.

muthuk_vanalingamravnorodomMystrizowatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 22
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    donrsd said:

It’s different when they actually do it.