Driver thanks Tim Cook after crash detection saves his life

Posted:
in Apple Watch
A driver in Indianapolis says he's corresponded with Tim Cook after being rescued from the scene of a crash by emergency services because of his Apple Watch.

The new crash detection feature in the iPhone 14 and Apple Watch Series 8 has been triggered by at least one fatal accident, as well as occasionally through false positives that Apple is addressing. Now, though, a driver credits it with saving his life.

According to ABC News, Nolan Abel's car struck a telephone pole at 70 miles per hour on October 15, 2022.

APPLE WATCH SAVES LIFE: A man credited his Apple Watch with saving his life by automatically contacting first responders after he slammed his car into a pole. ABC's Rhiannon Ally reports. pic.twitter.com/WRvfaU07LF

-- ABC World News Now (@abcWNN)

"So I'm just like in my seat, but fighting to stay conscious," Abel told ABC News. "I'm fading in and out and then I feel a little haptic on the watch and I know that if I don't interfere with it, it's going to call EMS. And then I hear like, 'Hello. Are you there?'"

Abel says that he bought the Apple Watch just a week before the accident, and entirely on a whim.

"I was in Best Buy and just said, 'Hey, look, why don't I just get this?' he recounts. "I didn't really have a reason for it. Something just told me to get it."

Abel was hospitalized and will reportedly need to wear prescripton lenses following vision problems, but is otherwise expected to make a full recovery.

He says that once he was able to do so, he contacted Apple to thank them for saving his life.

"I emailed Tim Cook and Tim Cook emailed me," said Abel, "and it was a short and sweet email -- he's a busy man."

"Tim said that he was so sorry that this happened to me," he continued, "that this is exactly why they developed the crash detection feature."

Apple says that Crash Detection works by interpreting a series of sensor readings on the iPhone 14 or Apple Watch, such as the accelerometer detecting a sudden stop.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    That is awesome. That's why Apple Watch is a lot more important than people think - it can detect abnormal heart rate and it can detect crashes. They can literally save your life. 
    dewmeAnilu_777jas99JaiOh81watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Well, first we had the YouTubers ‘testing’ it and declaring it useless because it didn’t work right to suit them. Now we have people claiming it saved their lives. WTF?
    edited October 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    lkrupp said:
    Well, first we had the YouTubers ‘testing’ it and declaring it useless because it didn’t work right to suit them. Now we have people claiming it saved their lives. WTF?
    Simple - the YouTubers “created” an accident by smashing into parked cars. This was a real accident with all the accelerometer and gyroscopic data that would accompany normal driving then an abnormal stop. 
    jas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    Hm. How does crash detection differ from fall detection? Or, is one type of detection designed to rule out the other. In a violent crash, why wouldn't fall detection activate? Because there's no significant downward impact? 

I'm glad the kid's ok. Curious about the eyesight thing and prescription glasses. Was his eyesight impaired because of the crash? I'd like to read up more on it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    This is probably going to sound mean, but instead of the Watch, maybe he should have bought some common sense. The fact that he hit a telephone pole at 70 mph sounds like he was in a residential area going way, way, way over the speed limit. Obviously I don’t know all of the details but it sure sounds like he was quite reckless.
    stevegee
  • Reply 6 of 10
    single vehicle, 70 mph, hit a telephone pole at 3:30 AM. need a lot more detail because so far it sounds like this kid is a reckless driver. glad he survived and hopefully, lessons learned. 
    edited October 2022 chasm
  • Reply 7 of 10
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    probably fell asleep.

Oh, and Slow NEasy, us rural types have that lectrickery stuff connected to our humpies via poles and wires too you know.  
    king editor the gratewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 10
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    macgui said:
    Hm. How does crash detection differ from fall detection? Or, is one type of detection designed to rule out the other. In a violent crash, why wouldn't fall detection activate? Because there's no significant downward impact? 

I'm glad the kid's ok. Curious about the eyesight thing and prescription glasses. Was his eyesight impaired because of the crash? I'd like to read up more on it.
    As an Apple rep explained it to me, there is a "high g-force" accelerometer in the new Series 8 and SE (2nd gen) that is somewhat different to the relative amount of g-force from a typical fall. So the two technologies appear to complement one another. You may also be right that Watches can detect motion downwards rather than remaining upright (as most seatbelted people would in a crash.

The eyesight thing is likely caused by a head injury suffered during the crash. A friend of mine hit his head on a tree in a bicycle accident, resulting in lifetime legally-blind status.
    jas99JaiOh81watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 10
    This is exactly why we need autonomous vehicles. I don’t want or need an autonomous vehicle at this stage of my life, so I hope that manual driving is always an option. But for the people who are too tired or drunk to drive, they have a need for the car to drive for them. And also I guess for all of the distracted drivers out there, of which there are a whole lot of them out there. Actually, autonomous vehicles are starting to get close now. I think the latest build is FSD 69.2.3. But I’m guessing another 10 to 20 years before it’s common on every vehicle. But maybe only 5 to 10 years for most new cars to prevent most accidents. But for full autonomy, It’s hard for me to see how anyone can catch Tesla anytime soon. They bet the farm on vision and AI only, and it looks like it’s paying off. A Tesla will have the ability to go anywhere regardless of whether or not there is mapping available. Every other car manufacturer is dependent on cm level mapping on their mapping database as well as LiDAR.

By the way, FSD didn’t go from 65 to 66 to 67 to 68 to 69. Elon is just extremely immature and likes the numbers 69 and 420. He tweets about those numbers frequently and sometimes uses both of them in the same sentence. Like for example one time he tweeted that due to inflation 420 is going up by 69. Or another time he tweeted that it’s 69 days past 4/20. The SEC actually demanded he step down as chairman of the board at Tesla because he tweeted that he was thinking of taking Tesla private at $420/share and that he had funding secured, which was a lie. So shares skyrocketed on the initial news and then plummeted when Elon tweeted that it wasn’t going to happen after all. The SEC wasn’t amused. He was also investigated by NASA because he smoked a joint on the Joe Rogan podcast. Apparently NASA is worried about an unhinged pot smoker being in charge of sending their astronauts to the ISS. I personally have nothing against marijuana, I’m just saying that NASA was worried about it. But he is still a genius and he is still very disruptive to multiple industries which is a good thing.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    This is probably going to sound mean, but instead of the Watch, maybe he should have bought some common sense. The fact that he hit a telephone pole at 70 mph sounds like he was in a residential area going way, way, way over the speed limit. Obviously I don’t know all of the details but it sure sounds like he was quite reckless.
    I wouldn’t jump to that assumption. I know of a lot of places where rural highways have telephone poles alongside them. 
    king editor the gratejony0