Apple Towson union accuses Apple of withholding new benefits

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2022
Apple's newly unionized store has reached out to Tim Cook, asking the company to provide information on benefits offered to non-unionized employees.

Apple Towson Town Center
Apple Towson Town Center

In a letter to Tim Cook spotted by The Verge, the negotiating committee writes that they are disappointed to learn that the company is withholding new health and education benefits being offered to employees who are not unionized.

The letter also accuses Apple of spreading misinformation by saying that workers would need to bargain for those benefits to be included in their contract.

Additionally, it claims that Apple has not provided any details about the new benefits, which prevents the committee from including them in upcoming contract negotiations.

The letter finishes by asking Apple to "refrain from delivering misinformation regarding why Towson employees will not be offered the benefits at this time."

In June, the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) certified the union election. It came to be known as the Coalition of Organized Retail Employees (CORE) and is partnered with the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers.

Apple claimed that it would not challenge the vote and that it would plan to bargain with workers at the store "in good faith."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    So these morons want to have the u ion but also have all the benefits from non union employees. Cook needs to start leaning from Musk. These entitled losers needs to be removed, I say this as a 25 year shareholder 

I think Cook did mention Apple will slow hiring and reduce head count soon.

I would look at Towson store and start with the worse performing employees
    edited October 2022 Panner_NuddingJFC_PA9secondkox2iOS_Guy80strongyracerhomie3williamlondonmacxpress
  • Reply 2 of 21
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    They need to reread their union contract. Or have someone read it to them. 

They’re not alone. I went to a Starbucks Reserve near Chelsea Market in NYC that had a pro union demonstration going on outside. Prominently displayed was lots of a competitors  product, Dunkin’ coffee. Fun fact is that’s a non union shop. Great statement there buddies. 
    edited October 2022 9secondkox2
  • Reply 3 of 21
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    Once a union is put in place unionized employees can no longer deal directly with the company, and vice versa.  This is simply a structural, process, and legal matter that all parties have to abide by. Everything has to be negotiated through the union representatives who represent the union members/employees. If Apple is stating that certain things need to be negotiated through the collective bargaining process they are simply stating the obvious. This is a procedural issue and Apple is required to play by the rules. It doesn't matter at this point whether Apple preferred to have a union or not. The rules are the rules and Apple isn't going to do anything that is going to get the company in trouble. The union is equally responsible for playing by the rules too. I'm sure the unionized workers will eventually figure this out and make sure that their grievances are funneled through the proper negotiation channels as defined by their collective bargaining agreement. This is what they wanted so they need to make it work.
    iOS_Guy80strongychadbagravnorodommac_dog
  • Reply 4 of 21
    They can be “disappointed” Al they want. Apple is likewise disappointed that they unionized - especially after Apple countered with a very generous wage and benefits. 

Just because you’re on a bully’s team doesn’t mean the bully wins. 

They got the benefits they wanted. They don’t get to have the stuff Apple promised to nonunion employees too. 
    strongychadbagwilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Madbum said:
    So these morons want to have the u ion but also have all the benefits from non union employees. Cook needs to start leaning from Musk. These entitled losers needs to be removed, I say this as a 25 year shareholder 

How long you have held Apple stock is irrelevant and seems to be little more than a comment to somehow elevate your status and bestow some kind of special credibility on you. It did not work very well.

You think are some kind of anti-union tough guy? Laughable at best, but shameful in the least.

BTW, I've held Apple stock longer than you and am not much of a union supporter.  None of that changes my summation of your comment.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonelijahg
  • Reply 6 of 21
    They can be “disappointed” Al they want. Apple is likewise disappointed that they unionized - especially after Apple countered with a very generous wage and benefits. 

Just because you’re on a bully’s team doesn’t mean the bully wins. 

They got the benefits they wanted. They don’t get to have the stuff Apple promised to nonunion employees too. 
    My money is on Apple Legal vs those stupid government lawyers
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 21
    tommikele said:
    Madbum said:

How long you have held Apple stock is irrelevant and seems to be little more than a comment to somehow elevate your status and bestow some kind of special credibility on you. It did not work very well.

You think are some kind of anti-union tough guy? Laughable at best, but shameful in the least.

BTW, I've held Apple stock longer than you and am not much of a union supporter.  None of that changes my summation of your comment.
    Not an anti union tough guy but simply pointing out stupid people who doesn’t know or understand what they joined and now is crying like the typical woke moron. I wonder if they used the right pronouns? But you are obviously just oblivious to union rules as these idiots are so I won’t spent much more time on you.

it’s crap like this why Republicans will wipe out the democrats in 2 weeks. I say this as a Independent that leans Democrat that voted for Obama twice, skipped 2016 and voted for Biden.

williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 21
    On an unrelated note; “ International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers”. Machinists and aerospace? Representing retail sales clerks. Interesting choice. 
    edited October 2022 Madbumappleuseryeah
  • Reply 9 of 21
    JFC_PA said:
    On an unrelated note; “ International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers”. Machinists and aerospace? Representing retail sales clerks. Interesting choice. 
    Pure comedy hour….
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 21
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Your in a union now.  You have to negotiate for everything going forward 

Enjoy! 

chadbag
  • Reply 11 of 21
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Welcome to the Union and Union life Towson employees 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 21
    riverkoriverko Posts: 222member
    It is interesting to see how differently the unions work in the US to my country. Here the unions representative represent all employees - in and out of unions. Also if any troubles, people out of unions can reach out for help to the union representatives etc…
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 21
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    riverko said:
    It is interesting to see how differently the unions work in the US to my country. Here the unions representative represent all employees - in and out of unions. Also if any troubles, people out of unions can reach out for help to the union representatives etc…
    Here in the US, that's the difference between an "open shop" and "close shop". With a "close shop", in order to be hired, one must join the union. The employer can not hire any bargaining employees, unless they are due paying union members. Therefore, the union represents all employees of that employer's "shop", as they all must be union due paying members. And that "shop" could just be one store of many that the employer operates. 

With an "open shop", employees are not required to be due paying union members, in order to work for the employer. But as a condition for a union to be able to represent the employees of certain employers, they can not force all employees to join the union. But the union must represent all employees whether they are union members or not. And all employees receives the same benefits negotiated by the union. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_shop#Open_shop_vs_closed_shop

Most US government jobs are "open shop". There is no way that the government can force its citizens to join a union and pay union dues, in order to get a job working for a government agency that their taxes support. But on the other hand, the government can not prevent employees from collectively bargaining for better benefits. So unions are allowed but joining and paying union dues are not a requirement for employment or to receive union negotiated benefits.  

https://standwithworkers.org/government-jobs-things-workers-should-know

edited October 2022 badmonk
  • Reply 14 of 21
    As a retired teacher, I'm all for unions.  However, once a union is in place, they are the bargaining representative for the employees. 

So, if Apple introduces new benefits for its employees, in any unionized store, that has to go through the union first.  There isn't anything nefarious here.  The Towson store union needs to negotiate with Apple for those benefits.  My guess is they will get the same benefits as the non-union stores, but there will always be a delay and another hill to climb to get them.  In addition, Apple might ask the union to bear some of the cost of new benefits.  That will be realized in higher union dues for the employees.  

ravnorodom
  • Reply 15 of 21
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 617member
    Unions bring out the worst in people as there is virtually zero risk of being fired. We’re I Apple ID make sure non-union benefits were better than those negotiated by the union. 
    Madbumwilliamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 21
    jimh2 said:
    Unions bring out the worst in people as there is virtually zero risk of being fired. We’re I Apple ID make sure non-union benefits were better than those negotiated by the union. 
    In this economy, Apple can and will close non performing stores like Towson 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 21
    I’d expect non performing stores close in any economy aside from the rare icon such as the NYC Apple across from The Plaza. 

There’ll be some interesting data generated: here and with Starbucks: side by side spreadsheets to view how unions impact store performance.
    edited October 2022 williamlondon
  • Reply 18 of 21
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    dewme said:
    Once a union is put in place unionized employees can no longer deal directly with the company, and vice versa.  This is simply a structural, process, and legal matter that all parties have to abide by. Everything has to be negotiated through the union representatives who represent the union members/employees. If Apple is stating that certain things need to be negotiated through the collective bargaining process they are simply stating the obvious. This is a procedural issue and Apple is required to play by the rules. It doesn't matter at this point whether Apple preferred to have a union or not. The rules are the rules and Apple isn't going to do anything that is going to get the company in trouble. The union is equally responsible for playing by the rules too. I'm sure the unionized workers will eventually figure this out and make sure that their grievances are funneled through the proper negotiation channels as defined by their collective bargaining agreement. This is what they wanted so they need to make it work.
    In my case, I became a teamsters member by simply having a classification at my job. I’m a self-starter, I’ve gotten 3 advances on three years and I worked hard for it. Now that I’m a union member, I’m unable to get any incentive advancements and there is no incentive to work harder, however, it’s simply not in my nature to be a part of the status quo. I like my job, but get pissed off when others aren’t doing their fair share. 

As a non-union member, I was  going to get a 25% increase over 4 years starting in July. Just before July, I received an email congratulating me for being a member of the teamsters and that I won’t be receiving my increase due to the fact that it needed to be negotiated. I basically became a union member without any prior knowledge. 

This is tantamount to bullying—being forced to be a part of something in which I had no prior knowledge or desire. I won’t be paying dues AND if I have to go in front of the labor board to get reclassified, I’ll do that, too. 

williamlondonRudeBoyRudy
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Just shows how morally bankrupt is Apple. These Apple unions have come about because Apply did not play fair with its workers’ remuneration, shifts and working conditions. In other words Apple underpaid it staff. 

Then once Apple staff formed their unions, Apple was able to find the money; give better conditions and give better rosters to its staff - well only those who didn’t make a union. Apple could have done all this and it wouldn’t have unions forming in its shops in the first place. 

To you lot cheering away for Apple’s nasty bit of work, I’ll give you an Australian character reference - you lot are a mob of ******* bastards.

And I say that Apple will not have this divide and conquer success in Australia as more Australian Apple staff get represented by Australian unions. 

I’m not interested in any of the usual gung-ho statements - sadly the USA is a big mess.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 21
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    mac_dog said:
    dewme said:
    In my case, I became a teamsters member by simply having a classification at my job. I’m a self-starter, I’ve gotten 3 advances on three years and I worked hard for it. Now that I’m a union member, I’m unable to get any incentive advancements and there is no incentive to work harder, however, it’s simply not in my nature to be a part of the status quo. I like my job, but get pissed off when others aren’t doing their fair share. 

As a non-union member, I was  going to get a 25% increase over 4 years starting in July. Just before July, I received an email congratulating me for being a member of the teamsters and that I won’t be receiving my increase due to the fact that it needed to be negotiated. I basically became a union member without any prior knowledge. 

This is tantamount to bullying—being forced to be a part of something in which I had no prior knowledge or desire. I won’t be paying dues AND if I have to go in front of the labor board to get reclassified, I’ll do that, too. 

Yeah, what you’ve described is very common. My mom was an office worker for a shoe manufacturer and was forced to pay Teamster dues and received nothing tangible in return. It certainly didn’t prevent her from being laid off. I’ve had my own experiences working with unions when doing automotive plant start-ups. In my case we were introducing new technology in our automation system that had never been used before, which meant there was no union classification for which trade we had to work with to do our throughput testing using production assets. After a few weeks of sitting on our hands waiting and answering inquiries from various union reps, the automobile company finally sent down a crew to help us complete the testing. They were all salaried engineers, with white shirts and ties, slogging through the dirt, dust, and grime that was still present during start-up. The company gave up trying to figure out which trade owned the process so they fell back to the employees who will do whatever needs to be done without asking questions or filing a grievance.

That’s just the way it is and a cost of doing business. If the company is willing to agree to working under those conditions, I don’t really care. Of course we all know who eventually pays for it, but it is what it is and the glass is always more than half filled. It’s not like we see workers in countries that have representation having to escape from their workplace. 
    edited October 2022