Apple earned $90.15B in fourth quarter of 2022

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    My shares are enjoying the 8% jump today. Now if they get back to start of year levels I'd be even happier. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 27
    In other news, the beleaguered computer maker is suffering greatly since the untimely demise of its visionary founder and it is clear that Mr. Cook is unfit to lead innovation in this flailing hi-tech company.
    zeus423baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Apple did NOT earn $90.15B in fourth quarter of 2022.  That is their total revenue.  They earned $20.72B, for a profit margin of 22.99%.
    Glad you said it.  It hurts my eyes every time I read the headline.
    entropysbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 27
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    lkrupp said:
    Apple did NOT earn $90.15B in fourth quarter of 2022.  That is their total revenue.  They earned $20.72B, for a profit margin of 22.99%.
    Yep, gotta make it seem like a fail don’t you.
    USD$21 billion is not a fail in any language.

I agree with the old guy, there is quite a major difference between revenue and profit. and the difference for Apple is greater than just about any other tech company. Apple can thank each and every one of us prepared to pony up for those margins.  

This inability to discern the difference between revenue and profit is a typical failing of those that have anti capitalist tendencies.  The type that are always seeking ways to get more Other Peoples’ Money via taxation for their pet causes.  
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 27
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    In other news, the beleaguered computer maker is suffering greatly since the untimely demise of its visionary founder and it is clear that Mr. Cook is unfit to lead innovation in this flailing hi-tech company.
    i miss Apple's beleaguered years.

I had hair for a start.
    marklarkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 27
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,103member
    sgs46 said:
    Glad you said it.  It hurts my eyes every time I read the headline.
    One 'generates' revenue. 
    Profit is 'earned'.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 27
    cincytee said:
    If you have a business and you go out on a sales call to a prospect and you convince that prospect to become a customer, then you have earned that prospect's business.  There's more than one context in which the term earned can be used.  

Apple earned $90.15B in revenue in the fourth quarter of 2022, resulting in $20.72B of profits.  Both are true.  
    No. Earnings are not about "earning" business. Earnings are profits. Revenues are sales. This is hardly a new concept, AppleInsider, but it's one you demonstrate every quarter that you don't understand. If you want to be regarded as a reliable source of information on Apple's finances, you must be accurate and precise with language. Once again, this quarter, that didn't happen. 
    I think the confusion is everyday language vs financial term. In layman's term, you can say Apple 'earned' $90B and argue that the revenue was $90B. But in financial term, 'earnings' refer to net profit, not revenue.
    watto_cobra