Apple reportedly won't launch new M2 Macs until 2023

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited October 2022
Apple won't be bringing out new Mac models until 2023, reports claim, with the updated M2 versions of the 14-inch MacBook Pro and 16-inch MacBook Pro now scheduled for the first quarter.

Future Macs are expected to be M2-based.
Future Macs are expected to be M2-based.

Expectations of a third set of fall launches from Apple were put into question following comments from Apple's leadership in its quarterly results, as first reported by AppleInsider on Saturday. In follow-up reports on Sunday, it seems that Apple has made the call and is holding off on other Mac launches in 2022.

In a post to Naver by leaker "Yeux1122" early on Sunday, vendor sources advised that the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro model launches expected for release at the end of November instead are being "postponed without being released."

The leaker points to changes in the supply chain schedules that are moving based on releases "early next year." It's reckoned that a release for the new models could occur in March.

In the "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, Mark Gurman backtracks on his own claims over recent weeks about a November launch for new M2 MacBook Pro models. Now, he claims he was told Apple will be introducing upgraded models "in the first quarter of calendar 2023."

Rather than try for another pre-holidays update, new Macs will apparently be launching in a few months time, coinciding with macOS Ventura 13.3 in early February or the start of March.

Previously, Gurman said at the end of September he believed new Macs will arrive in 2022, and continued to press the narrative on October 15 that a Mac launch in November was on the cards as the models were "on track to launch in the near future." He was still insistent a November Mac launch could happen in his October 23 newsletter.

He cites the financial results comments discussed on Saturday to support the claimed delays, including CEO Tim Cook mentioning "set" product lineup and CFO Luca Maestri discussing a reduction in expectations for Mac revenue growth.

The launches, whenever they occur, will most likely include updates to the 14-inch MacBook Pro and 16-inch MacBook Pro, sporting chips based on the M2. The long-rumored Mac mini refresh is also on the cards, with an M2 chip and radical external changes anticipated.

Gurman claims Apple has also increased its internal testing, including the M2 Pro and M2 Max chips. The M2 Max will apparently increase the CPU core count from 10 to 12, with graphics cores upgraded to a maximum of 38.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Looks like we are getting into an 18 month update cycle. Not sure if they will push towards a 12. ASi is new, so they may get to a 12 month, but I could totally see 18 month being the plan. Also, maybe when supply catches up and industry gets back to normal, maybe update cycle will possibly be closer to 12 (again, if that’s even the plan).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Hope one of them is a 27” iMac, M2 or not. 
    HedwareVermelhowatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 24
    So what about the Mac Pro... when does that go Apple Silicon?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 24
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    HiramAbif said:
    So what about the Mac Pro... when does that go Apple Silicon?
    When they can produce a valid Pro version that’s worth the cost. 
    thtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 24
    What about that 2 yea transition period? In the past Apple exceeded their transition plans. 
    Really need a replacement for my iMacs and MacBook Pros as mine do not support Ventura 
    williamlondonVermelhowatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 24
    I guess I'll keep using my 2011 Mac mini that just keeps chugging along (with SSD and memory upgrades) for a bit longer. Waiting for an M2 model at this point.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 24
    “Leakers” are now saying new Macs are delayed? How profound of them to announce this news after Tim Cook literally saying thisI wish Apple news sources and blogs would stop quoting Mark Gurman. He’s wrong a LOT, unless it’s something completely obvious and has been discussed for months by others. 
    d_2macxpressthtaderutterVermelhowatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 24
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    oberpongo said:
    What about that 2 yea transition period? In the past Apple exceeded their transition plans. 
    Really need a replacement for my iMacs and MacBook Pros as mine do not support Ventura 
    The current lineup is great...no reason to wait. 
    Vermelhowatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 24
    “Leakers” are now saying new Macs are delayed? How profound of them to announce this news after Tim Cook literally saying thisI wish Apple news sources and blogs would stop quoting Mark Gurman. He’s wrong a LOT, unless it’s something completely obvious and has been discussed for months by others. 
    Remember when he was wrong about something and then he blamed Apple saying they didn't release it on purpose just so he'd be wrong lol. He didn't want to admit he was wrong and so was his sure source. I can't remember which product it was as it was quite a while back. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 24
    No 27” iMac. They discontinued it. 
  • Reply 11 of 24
    No 27” iMac. They discontinued it. 
    Idk though...I can see them releasing both an M2/M2 Pro and a new iMac Pro even though I don't think the iMac Pro is necessary anymore since they have Mac Studio. I can definitely see them releasing a new consumer 27" iMac. If iMac Pro went to maybe 32" or something then maybe it'd fit a little better into the line up. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    oberpongo said:
    What do you mean? Both iMacs and MacBook Pros have long since transitioned to Apple Silicon and both platforms support Ventura currently. Very strange post on your part. When the iMac 24” M1 was released the iMac 27” was discontinued. Since then not a word, not a rumor, not a scintilla of evidence has surfaced about an iMac 27” with Apple Silicon coming, only wishful thinking by devotees to that platform. NOTHING!
    edited October 2022 williamlondonmike1watto_cobratenthousandthings
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Looks like we are getting into an 18 month update cycle.
    I keep hoping to a return to release on merit vs a planned calendar 'cycle'...
    I'd also like to think we could get more than 5 year support window for macs...

Might the newest 40XX GPU out from Nvidia (among others) may be upping the performance base line as well...?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Unless you are the government there is zero reason to wait…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 24
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    This is good news for people who had to wait MONTHS earlier this year for their MBP machines, without Apple giving those poor people a darned thing -- not even a mere discount on AppleCare, if you can believe it.  Having M2 versions debut this year would have been rather insulting and too soon to those folks.  An 18 month upgrade cycle is better than 12, especially when one considers that a top end M1 Max is still amazingly powerful today, without any of its luster worn off.  Heck, even the original M1 MacBook Air is still no slouch!

If there is a problem here, it's not with Apple.  It's with unrealistic EXPECTATIONS of buyers driven by the tech media.  The grass isn't greener on the other side.  Keep your eyes hopeful of a better future while at the same time being thankful and satisfied for what you have today.
    iOS_Guy80watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 24
    I guess I'll keep using my 2011 Mac mini that just keeps chugging along (with SSD and memory upgrades) for a bit longer. Waiting for an M2 model at this point.
    Same here, on a 2011 iMac maxed at 16GB RAM but with an HHD. It's no slug and with an SSD I think will run even better. But the issue is it is getting less software support, it is stuck on 10.13 High Sierra, only supports MS Office up to 2019 and even within that it doesn't support newer updates on 2019, I just got a Google Drive notification that my OS will be unsupported soon, and it keeps going on. So basically we are being forced to upgrade to newer machines, and I was hoping for an M2 iMac or Mac mini which would suit my office setup.
    decoderringwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 24
    simply258 said:
    Same here, on a 2011 iMac maxed at 16GB RAM but with an HHD. It's no slug and with an SSD I think will run even better. But the issue is it is getting less software support, it is stuck on 10.13 High Sierra, only supports MS Office up to 2019 and even within that it doesn't support newer updates on 2019, I just got a Google Drive notification that my OS will be unsupported soon, and it keeps going on. So basically we are being forced to upgrade to newer machines, and I was hoping for an M2 iMac or Mac mini which would suit my office setup.
    That's exactly why it's time for me to move on. The machine works perfectly fine except that it doesn't get any security updates anymore and it has less and less modern software available to run. It's fast enough for what I do with it, and its age is actually a plus for me -- it's cool to see what such an "old" machine can do. It's a shame really, for financial and environmental reasons.

Once it's replaced it's going to become a Linux machine.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 24
    That must be such a huge upgrade in experience - you won’t believe how smooth as butter your M2 Mac Mini will run vs what you have now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 24
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    oberpongo said:

Huh?! The MacBook Pros and iMac have been transitioned for quite some time now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 24
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    I’ve got a 2010 iMac with a self-installed SSD; still works great and does everything I need it to do. Also waiting for an M2 Mini to pair with an ultra wide screen.