Apple reportedly won't launch new M2 Macs until 2023

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    simply258 said:
    I guess I'll keep using my 2011 Mac mini that just keeps chugging along (with SSD and memory upgrades) for a bit longer. Waiting for an M2 model at this point.
    Same here, on a 2011 iMac maxed at 16GB RAM but with an HHD. It's no slug and with an SSD I think will run even better. But the issue is it is getting less software support, it is stuck on 10.13 High Sierra, only supports MS Office up to 2019 and even within that it doesn't support newer updates on 2019, I just got a Google Drive notification that my OS will be unsupported soon, and it keeps going on. So basically we are being forced to upgrade to newer machines, and I was hoping for an M2 iMac or Mac mini which would suit my office setup.
    Your machine will run DRAMATICALLY better with an SSD.  Kind of surprised you’re running a spinner, especially considering how cheap SSDs have become.  But like you said, your software is aging out so not really worth improving the hardware at this point. 
    That must be such a huge upgrade in experience - you won’t believe how smooth as butter your M2 Mac Mini will run vs what you have now.
    Not as huge as you think. Even an older Mac with an SSD is still snappy. My 2010 iMac with an SSD has consistently run faster than the spinner-equipped computers I’ve been stuck with at my two main jobs over the last decade. But, as stated above, a lot of software is aging out so I’m looking forward to the M2 Mini. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 24
    So my maxed out 16-inch M1 Max remains the king for a little longer. Very glad I bought it on day one.
    jdwwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 24
    Hmm. As the owner of a cheese grater with intel silicon that cost my company over $6,500 I'm not best pleased with things at the moment, but at least its work that took the hit and not me. Unlike my four year old Macbook Pro with i7 that'll also be redundant in a few more years that I got to pay for myself. Grrrr.

Am currently holding off on buying a Mac Studio for personal use. Although the performance improvements aren't crazy, the idea of a Studio with an M2 Max has me willing to wait a bit to see what happens.