Elon Musk orders Twitter to charge $20/month for verification

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,930member
    doal said:
    Twitter is going the way of tumblr.  You can’t run a successful business through intimidation. At least not for very long. 

If it did work Meta would have done it, oh wait! they tried with Apple.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 34
    Good move from dictator Musk. The sooner Twitter is killed the better for the society.
    williamlondonbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 34
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,402member
    exsangus said:
    I think a few things are going on here. He fired the executive staff “with cause” to avoid paying out stock option entitlements that were about to mature. He had texted with a friend before that his plan was to lay off about 75% of the Twitter work force. Now he is setting up “cause” to fire instead of layoff as much staff as possible which will save him from paying out even more upcoming entitlements, and gets out his new monetization strategy.

I am a developer and would never work for Elon, but if I were at Twitter now, I would not quit, not work more than my standard day, and when I was fired (which is probably going to happen even to those willing to work 24/7) file wrongful termination with unemployment, get a lawyer and get the ball rolling on the wrongful termination lawsuit that will be coming. He is so arrogant and out of touch that he thinks he can use shortcuts to get what he wants, no matter who he has to run over in order to do this.

Anyone looking for Twitter alternatives, I highly recommend the massive open source, self run instance, Federated universe known as Mastodon.
    If Musk is looking to monetize his user base/livestock for advertising and/or some new cryptocurrency (Musk Coin) or payment system strategy (Musk Pay) it does make sense he'd want to make sure his livestock is legitimate. No one is going to pay to push ads to bots or try to take a cut of payments from livestock that doesn't own a credit card or have a credit rating. 

I still don't think Musk would lay out all that cash just to obtain god credentials over all Twitter content, moderation, and operations. It would make Twitter some sort of perverse Sims simulation game but with real humans, where he can add and delete "players" at will, change the rules whenever he wants to, and create his own little world in his own image. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 34
    I’ll be quiet quitting Twitter for the foreseeable future. Deleted the app but not my account, stepping away until the dust settles. It’s not like anyone really needs social media.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Anyone taking bets how long this thread will last before being deleted?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Everyone has opinions, ...because everyone are running their own successful businesses and also practice minima moralia.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 34
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,078member
    Eliabra said:
    Everyone has opinions, ...because everyone are running their own successful businesses and also practice minima moralia.
    That's right. And if think Musk is a Denebian Slime Devil...well...that's my opinion too.....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 34
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,097member
    Musk isn't stupid.  If someone would come out ahead of all this, it would be him.

The responses here are really quite arrogant.  If he does in fact come out ahead, it will only prove that the folks here are about as clueless as a bag of dirt in how to run a business.  Whether you love or hate Tesla, considering the success he had from Tesla to SpaceX, I'd wager my money on him anytime compared to the clueless armchair-CEO's here.
    williamlondonanonconformistwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Tesla and Space-X are great endeavors. Boring company and Neuralink not very promising ones. 
    Twitter with Musk isn’t going to be a radical breakthrough, and probably won’t go too bad and burn out either. 
    I will look into Mastadon, which I’ve heard mentioned before.  But I want moderation…
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 34
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    exsangus said:
    I think a few things are going on here. He fired the executive staff “with cause” to avoid paying out stock option entitlements that were about to mature. He had texted with a friend before that his plan was to lay off about 75% of the Twitter work force. Now he is setting up “cause” to fire instead of layoff as much staff as possible which will save him from paying out even more upcoming entitlements, and gets out his new monetization strategy.

I am a developer and would never work for Elon, but if I were at Twitter now, I would not quit, not work more than my standard day, and when I was fired (which is probably going to happen even to those willing to work 24/7) file wrongful termination with unemployment, get a lawyer and get the ball rolling on the wrongful termination lawsuit that will be coming. He is so arrogant and out of touch that he thinks he can use shortcuts to get what he wants, no matter who he has to run over in order to do this.

Anyone looking for Twitter alternatives, I highly recommend the massive open source, self run instance, Federated universe known as Mastodon.
    California is an at-will state. 
  • Reply 31 of 34
    LeoMCLeoMC Posts: 102member
    I'm so glad to see so many AI users having better business ideas that the richest man in the world...
    BTW, how are your twitters doing?

I have always admired Louis Vuitton for making their dumb shoppers pay a huge load of money for a LV "blue" badge; why would twitter's blue badge be any different?
    edited November 2022 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 34
    mac_dog said:
    exsangus said:

California is an at-will state. 

"At will" doesn't mean that wrongful termination doesn't apply.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 34
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,342member
    brianjo said:
    Not everyone needs verification.  Verification is for those that are celebrities, politicians, etc, where it's likely that others would create accounts to pretend to be them.  For these people, $20/month is very little money.

What this does is make it a financial burden to scam the verification system for someone that figured out how to trick the verification process.  Now that 'fake' account you create requires a payment which then creates more of a paper trail as to who is behind the fake account.

Makes total sense.
    Which means the platform created it to stop them being accused of materially benefiting from the scam. Now they want to charge for the tick it starts to seem like a  protection racket. 

More so now the price has dropped to $8. A shake-down to see what the market will tolerate. 
    watto_cobra