Europe coming after Apple's App Store with Digital Markets Act

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2022
After its victory in mandating USB-C, the European Union's next target is Apple's App Store, and rivals such as Google Play Store.

The Digital Markets Act entered into force on November 1 and will be applicable on May 2, 2023. Its goal is to require companies such as Apple to offer alternatives to allow third-party app stores on its platforms and alternative payment systems.

Gerard de Graaf, an EU official who helped pass the DMA, expects it to affect about a dozen companies. "We expect the consequences to be significant," de Graaf said. "If you have an iPhone, you should be able to download apps not just from the App Store but from other app stores or from the internet."

The official is now in the US to talk with affected companies. "The key message is that negotiations are over, we're in a compliance situation," he said. "You may not like it, but that's the way it is."

Tech companies don't have to comply immediately with the law. Instead, the EU first has to decide which companies are big and established enough to be classified as "gatekeepers."

Digital Markets Act

According to the European Parliament, a gatekeeper has to provide browsers, messaging services, or social media and have at least 45 million monthly end users in the EU. They must also have 10,000 annual business users, a market cap of at least 75 billion euros ($82 billion), or a yearly turnover of 7.5 billion euros ($8.2 billion).

The EU will announce the group of companies in spring 2023, and they will have six months to comply with the law.

Some provisions of the DMA would force Apple to allow third-party app stores and side-loading on iPhone, let developers use third-party payment systems, enable users to set a voice assistant other than Siri as their default, and more.

The DMA will also prohibit developers from giving their apps or products preferential treatment. In Apple's case, this could mean forbidding the company from highlighting its services, such as Apple Music and Apple Arcade, on the App Store.

The DMA is one of many bills making its way out of the EU.

Digital Services Act

The EU is preparing a similar bill to the DMA called the Digital Services Act.

On October 4, 2022, the European Council approved the Regulation on the Digital Services Act. This marks the final step for the DSA to come to life.

The DSA focuses more on online content and moderation, putting additional responsibility on online platforms and tech companies to police content, including reporting and taking down illegal content.

Online marketplaces will also be subject to new transparency rules, and platforms will be required to allow users to opt out of algorithm recommendations based on their history and information.

Since Apple doesn't make a search engine or social media platform, most core elements of its business model will likely remain unchanged under the DSA rules. However, the DSA is much more likely to impact companies such as Meta and Google significantly.

Companies that violate the rules of the DSA could face a fine of up to 6% of their annual global turnover.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Maybe we will be lucky enough to elect new leaders to Congress this Fall who will threaten EU tariffs if this is implemented

All the “gatekeepers” will be American 

mike1Madbummagman1979lkruppwilliamlondonentropysiOS_Guy80racerhomie3lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 66
    Six months for compliance with the DMA is a farce. Makes it obvious that it's not really about providing a good customer experience. 
    lolliveraderutterwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 66
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,844member

Time to leave? According to the EU change everything you do that makes you unique, that allows you sell tech devices that you make? Maybe a separate iPhone, iPad, and AppleWatch just for the EU, these devices will only have Apple software and nothing else like a game console maybe the only way forward. The other 75% of the world gets the best of the Apple ecosystems the EU just gets pure Apple base software and nothing else.

In short take the iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch private software wise in the EU sell them to the European public with no pretense of anything beyond Apple software …..

edited November 2022 Madbummagman1979williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 66
    Let’s screw over the iPhone users so they have the same fun times as Android users and can deal with malware and viruses. They can also get ripped off by other companies selling crap apps in those third party stores and via those other payment systems. 

How will Apple pay for the infrastructure to maintain the App Store and other services they provide? I guess they can just blame inflation for the rapid rise in prices of apps and services. 
    Madbummagman1979williamlondoniOS_Guy80lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 66
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    Is America going after any European companies for anything? Why are we letting them do this to us?

and we are fighting their Ukraine war for them which is causing our inflation to stay sky high

Why is our current government not helping out companies against these wack jobs?

I didn’t vote for Trump but what he is saying about these current idiot people in charge being Ukraine, Europe first and America last rings pretty true….
    edited November 2022 magman1979williamlondondocno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 66
    danox said:

Time to leave? According to the EU change everything you do that makes you unique, that allows you sell tech devices that you make? A separate iPhone, iPad, and AppleWatch just for the EU, these devices will only have Apple software and nothing else like a game console maybe the only way forward. The other 75% of the world gets the best of the Apple ecosystems the EU just gets pure Apple base software and nothing else.

In short take the iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch private software wise in the EU sell them to the European public with no pretense of anything beyond Apple software …..

How about two version of the iPhone? One with what communist EU wants and one with full complement and regular iPhone  . 

Let people
    make a choice

Or is the EU so far communist that they won’t even let people chose ?

honestly I don’t see Putin or China demanding this of Apple… So who are the real communists?
    edited November 2022 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 66
    jayweiss said:
    Let’s screw over the iPhone users so they have the same fun times as Android users and can deal with malware and viruses. 
    I won’t use a third-party App Store so that wouldn’t affect me. At the same time, I have several friends that use Android phones and none of them have ever complained about malware or viruses. I’ve heard those are real on Android, but are they really an active problem? (I mean, aside from potential abuses, are there active abuses happening and I just don’t know anyone who is affected?)
    JFC_PAgatorguyh2pmuthuk_vanalingamgrandact73
  • Reply 8 of 66
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,250member
    red oak said:
    Maybe we will be lucky enough to elect new leaders to Congress this Fall who will threaten EU tariffs if this is implemented

All the “gatekeepers” will be American 

There's not that much that comes out of the EU that's worth buying so adding tariffs to subpar products isn't going to hurt the EU. The only thing that might hurt is to put major tariffs on everything coming from VW Corporation. We don't need any wines from any country in the EU, CA, WA and NY satisfy the majority of American wine drinkers.
    magman1979williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 66
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Make a cheap-ass “Euro-version” of Apple products that can be sold along other apple products. Maybe iPhone EU OR iPad EU. Give it the least amount of privacy features. Done. 

FUCKERS!
    edited November 2022 MadbumwilliamlondoniOS_Guy80racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 66
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    jayweiss said:
    Let’s screw over the iPhone users so they have the same fun times as Android users and can deal with malware and viruses. 
    I won’t use a third-party App Store so that wouldn’t affect me. At the same time, I have several friends that use Android phones and none of them have ever complained about malware or viruses. I’ve heard those are real on Android, but are they really an active problem? (I mean, aside from potential abuses, are there active abuses happening and I just don’t know anyone who is affected?)
    Some common sense at last. 

Choice is a good thing but no one is forcing anyone to stop using the App Store. The choice to stick with it will still be there, along with competition for it.

Gatekeepers shouldn't exist. 

Digital interoperability isn't new. It's just reaching the mobile platforms now. 

Just look at what happened to the carriers and telecommunications infrastructure over the last decade or longer.

This is nothing new. Ten years ago digital lifestyles weren't a booming business and weren't on the radar now they are. 

But the DNA and DSA are just two of many upcoming directives. Not all of them by a long shot are technology focused. 

Soon, we will see the textile industry get some stringent legislation to guarantee clothing quality. The textile industry is near the top of the list of polluting industries. 

We'll also have the batteries directive. Also legislation for repairability and software support (including the option for users to downgrade features that are added as part of updates). Manufacturers will be required to support devices for a set minimum time and make it known to consumers.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 66
    mac_dog said:
    Make a cheap-ass “Euro-version” of Apple products that can be sold along other apple products. Maybe iPhone EU OR iPad EU. Give it the least amount of privacy features. Done. 

FUCKERS!
    Euro communists are  F-ers for sure

why isn’t our current government protecting our companies?
    edited November 2022 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 66
    jayweiss said:
    Well the best malware is ones you don’t notice in the background

and the point is not if you download third party apps but the fact your phone is able to download those unchecked apps makes everything in your phone open season

williamlondonlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 66
    I live in the EU but hate EU bureaucrats. When is the US government going to step up? Sooner or later rhe EU is going to mandate the form factor of devices. But this is a farce. But scammer, criminals will be very happy! Are consumer who sideload malware and the device get compromised going to call the EU for help? No, Apple an other companies get the blame and their reputation will for sure sink. Let the EU develop, market and support their own phone.
    Madbumwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 66
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,844member
    avon b7 said:
    jayweiss said:
    Some common sense at last. 

Choice is a good thing but no one is forcing anyone to stop using the App Store. The choice to stick with it will still be there, along with competition for it.

Gatekeepers shouldn't exist. 

Digital interoperability isn't new. It's just reaching the mobile platforms now. 

Just look at what happened to the carriers and telecommunications infrastructure over the last decade or longer.

This is nothing new. Ten years ago digital lifestyles weren't a booming business and weren't on the radar now they are. 

But the DNA and DSA are just two of many upcoming directives. Not all of them by a long shot are technology focused. 

Soon, we will see the textile industry get some stringent legislation to guarantee clothing quality. The textile industry is near the top of the list of polluting industries. 

We'll also have the batteries directive. Also legislation for repairability and software support (including the option for users to downgrade features that are added as part of updates). Manufacturers will be required to support devices for a set minimum time and make it known to consumers.

In short the EU gets a regional iPhone, iPad and AppleWatch….
  • Reply 15 of 66
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Why does no one ever hear about security flaws in Android?  It's because users have become accustomed to accepting that Android has zero security and accepts it.  Any security issue on an iPhone is discussed on every news site and message boards.  

I hope Apple fights this stupid EU mandate and ties it up in the courts for years.  I'm disgusted that some government agency is contemplating requiring a company - any company - to open up their product to competitors.  Android's model is nigh and day different than iOS.  The iPhone is an encapsulated product of both software and hardware and the reason for its success and security.  It's why Apple has such a loyal customer base and repeat customers that other manufacturers can only envy.

The moment some rogue app from a 3rd-party EU-sanctioned App Store hijacks/bricks iPhones, everyone will blame Apple.  Guaranteed that is what will happen. 

You want unrestricted apps?  Go to Android and shut up.  You want unrestricted apps on an iPhone?  Jailbreak it and shut up.  For everyone else, continue to enjoy the (stronger) security of iOS and the curated App Store, and keep Apple as the gatekeeper and what can run on an iPhone and enjoy the 15%-30% "RENT" to developers for having access to hundreds of millions of loyal Apple customers that Apple works tirelessly to work keeping.
    bloggerblogJaiOh81MadbumiOS_Guy80tmayracerhomie3lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 66
    avon b7 said: Choice is a good thing but no one is forcing anyone to stop using the App Store. The choice to stick with it will still be there, along with competition for it.
    LOL...you're still trying to push this false point. The EU is not mandating that developers have to continue to use the App Store. That means that customers WILL be forced to use a different store if that's the only place the developer puts the product. If you say "oh, that's not a big deal since they have the choice not to use the app"...that's no different than saying they had the choice to use an Android phone instead of an iPhone. 
    AppleZulubloggerblogJaiOh81tmaylolliverericthehalfbeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 66
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Why is our current government not helping out companies against these wack jobs?

The patricians have more in common with each other than the plebs.
    bloggerblogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 66
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,250member
    pwrmac said:
    I live in the EU but hate EU bureaucrats. When is the US government going to step up? Sooner or later rhe EU is going to mandate the form factor of devices. But this is a farce. But scammer, criminals will be very happy! Are consumer who sideload malware and the device get compromised going to call the EU for help? No, Apple an other companies get the blame and their reputation will for sure sink. Let the EU develop, market and support their own phone.
    No, you don't live in the EU, you live in a sovereign country. The EU is taking too much power away from the country you live in. Did you have any voice in voting for anyone in charge of the EU? Probably not. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 66
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    avon b7 said: Choice is a good thing but no one is forcing anyone to stop using the App Store. The choice to stick with it will still be there, along with competition for it.
    LOL...you're still trying to push this false point. The EU is not mandating that developers have to continue to use the App Store. That means that customers WILL be forced to use a different store if that's the only place the developer puts the product. If you say "oh, that's not a big deal since they have the choice not to use the app"...that's no different than saying they had the choice to use an Android phone instead of an iPhone. 
    The current situation is the problem. 

The DMA and DSA are there to tackle it. 

Why would an app developer pull an app from the app store? 

Apple charging too high a commission? Apple not allowing this or that feature? Apple not allowing the app outright? 

Those are problems for Apple to resolve. Competition is a central aspect of the EU open market. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 66
    Apple is the only company with a cohesive product line and a second to none ecosystem. All things work well because they have been designed from the ground up to do so, and gone through many teams and layers of testing. Breaking such a foundational component out will deteriorate the experience and embolden bad competition such as Epic, FB, and MS. They would rush to pull away from the App Store and implement their own stores and experiences, and user tracking. These apps wouldn't have to be approved by Apple's security teams, apps would come from various stores and billed through multiple systems making it harder for users to control or track anything. Antivirus apps are common place on Android.
    edited November 2022 AppleZuluJaiOh81watto_cobra