Samsung predicts Apple will have a foldable tablet by 2024

Posted:
in iPad
Apple has yet to set foot in the foldable tech market, but according to a new report, the Cupertino tech giant could release a foldable iPad or MacBook in the coming years.

Foldable iPhone render
Foldable iPhone render

Samsung's Mobile Experience branch has met with suppliers, and according to TheElec, is feeling optimistic about the foldable market.

Samsung MX believes that Apple will announce its first foldable device by 2024 -- but it won't be an iPhone.

While many have clamored for an "iPhone Fold," the technology may not be there yet. What users gain in novelty they'll likely lose in practicality. Current folding phones are clunky and heavy, which hardly fits with Apple's design ethos.

Apple has yet to announce plans to create a foldable device of any kind.

In September, it was reported that Apple wanted LG and Samsung to make foldable OLED panels. The goal would be to make a device capable of folding without the visible crease many current devices develop.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member

While many have clamored for an "iPhone Fold," the technology may not be there yet. What users gain in novelty they'll likely lose in practicality.
    Sorry, but I completely disagree with this statement. “Many have clamored”?  Like who? And where is all this alleged clamoring taking place? Because I’ve yet to meet anyone, online or irl, that is clamoring for anything foldable by Apple. At best, some people have chosen to withhold judgement until such a product is a reality. But most Apple fans see the foldable market as nothing but a huge gimmick. 

Stop believing all those Samsung ads. 
    Anilu_777lolliver80s_Apple_GuyFileMakerFellerdewmeMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    thttht Posts: 5,447member
    Hmm buy the M2 iPad Pro now, then upgrade to a second gen folding iPad in 2026?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Foldable iPads/Macbooks are more likely to happen. They can be done. 
    muthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    netrox said:
    Foldable iPads/Macbooks are more likely to happen. They can be done. 
    MacBooks already fold. One half is screen, the other half is battery, keyboard and motherboard.
    dewmejmadaramacpluspluswilliamhmknelsonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    Apple folio foldable big screen pad book replacement would be grand prop up on a stand for 20 inch screen Mac. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    Japhey said:

While many have clamored for an "iPhone Fold," the technology may not be there yet. What users gain in novelty they'll likely lose in practicality.
    Sorry, but I completely disagree with this statement. “Many have clamored”?  Like who? And where is all this alleged clamoring taking place? Because I’ve yet to meet anyone, online or irl, that is clamoring for anything foldable by Apple. At best, some people have chosen to withhold judgement until such a product is a reality. But most Apple fans see the foldable market as nothing but a huge gimmick. 

Stop believing all those Samsung ads. 
    It’s hard to know exactly what the true demand is for a foldable phone. The early models introduced by Samsung and others have the appeal of being a new type of display that’s really cool at first blush. There are also a fair number of Apple aficionados that will tend to poo poo devices or features that Apple doesn’t have, only to gush about them when Apple introduces them. On balance I agree, though. I haven’t seen a lot of ‘clamoring’ for foldable phones in general, whether from Apple or anyone else.

A foldable screen could potentially be more useful on an ipad, though, depending on the implementation. 
    williamhwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,868member
    Apple just make better laptops and iPads. Please….
  • Reply 8 of 9
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,370member
    This is a rather odd prediction for tablets and a foolish move by Samsung. I can see where some people would want a folding phone that can also double as a small tablet. The need for a folding tablet on the other hand seems very niche-worthy.

I'm not going to discount folding devices one way or the other, and especially not based on what one manufacturer claims. But Samsung is trolling Apple by extolling the virtues of a category of product that Apple is not even pursuing. And if they were ... and Apple deemed the foldable device market something that really makes good business sense and is yes-worthy for Apple, how does Samsung think it will play out for them? Have they never hear about a company called Nokia? What about Microsoft? The name Steve Balmer ring any bells?

Note to Sammy - you don't want to be chumming the water when you are in the water.
    watto_cobra