Samsung mocks Apple with new 'On the Fence' ad

Posted:
in iOS
Positing that Apple always makes iPhone users wait for useful features, Samsung has a new ad that tells people to come over to its Android phones.

Samsung is continuing its long run of mocking Apple for the iPhone 14, for removing power adapters, and so on. For once, however, this new ad is unlikely to have to be pulled after Samsung later copies Apple exactly.

In an ad called "On the Fence," a smartphone user climbs atop an actual fence, which divides an Apple Store-like environment from a barely-seen paradise of trees and nature.

Another Apple user is shown drawn to the fence climber's report of folding phones on the "other side," and an Apple Genius-like person pressing her back.

"You don't want to leave," says the Genius-like man. "We're waiting for all that to come over here."

When asked why users have to wait, he explains: "Because that's what we do. We wait."

"Time to get off the fence," concludes the ad. "A Galaxy awaits you." Although, curiously, the first smartphone user does not then get off the fence.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    It’s Android
    It’s Samsung

How about no. 
    rpelletirob53Fidonet127lolliverAnilu_777StrangeDaysBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Oh, ha ha. So clever. 

This reminds me of the Coke /Pepsi wars of the 80’s and 90’s. Pepsi made the better ads, but Coke made the more popular product. And that’s all that matters. 

Btw, I don’t know anyone buying a Samsung bc of folding phones, and right now, the iPhone 14 has the best camera, according to some experts. All the android users I know are either Apple haters, or that was what they could afford, or that’s what their job gave them. 

I can’t wait for Samsung announcement of their next “iPhone killer”. Lol. Keep dreaming. 
    rpelletirob53roundaboutnowlolliverFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Oh Sammy, your customers would still be using Blackberry clones if it weren't for the iPhone. Just accept the fact that you're a company which makes everything under the sun for the crowd which wants a cheaper version of existing products. It's certainly not a bad place to be.
    rob53lolliverAnilu_777Bart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Really, I don’t get what’s so special about a phone with a crease running down the middle of the screen. A thick phone that you have to unfold, putting wear on the screen and the ribbon cable (yeah, there’s one inside), and for what? So you can have something that will mysteriously break and have to replace in a few years?

I hope Apple never makes a foldable, because it will just be a Samsung manufactured screen. Foldable screens for smartphones just seem so gimmicky. For me to change my mind on this, the foldable must be presented as a solution to a problem. Right now, it’s a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist. 
    edited November 2022 DAalsethrob53roundaboutnowlolliverAnilu_777FileMakerFellerBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    rpelleti said:
    Really, I don’t get what’s so special about a phone with a crease running down the middle of the screen. A thick phone that you have to unfold, putting wear on the screen and the ribbon cable (yeah, there’s one inside), and for what? So you can have something that will mysteriously break and have to replace in a few years?

I hope Apple never makes a foldable, because it will just be a Samsung manufactured screen. Foldable screens for smartphones just seem so gimmicky. For me to change my mind on this, the foldable must be presented as a solution to a problem. Right now, it’s a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist. 
    You know, I did need to nod to the sammy commercial that showed their foldable thingy being used to set it up for a selfie from a ways away, showing iPhones falling over trying to do that. Clever depiction of a "feature" their product has. 

That said, I don't want one. 
    lolliverFileMakerFellerBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    I played with both the fold and flip foldables at the t-mobile store the other day while waiting.  

No thanks.  For me personally it is a solution to a non existent problem.   YMMV 
    edited November 2022 lolliverBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,623member
    It was a decent stab at highlighting how slow Apple is at bringing technology to market.

It was short, concise and got its message over well. 

It would really have to be series of ads to truly drive the message over though. 

Folding phones are picking up a lot of traction as screens improve and prices come down. That will continue until maybe scrolling or HUD style systems appear on glasses etc. 

My brother's entire family has Flip phones and another just got a Fold for himself. 

They all love them. 

edited November 2022 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 14
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Walled Gardens in reality are lovely sun traps in the which the owner has cultivated much life and experience. 
    Oddly they knock the so-called "walled garden" but the set has no plants indeed seems to be a cafe full of lonely people. 

By knocking it they show they just don't understand
    Anilu_777DAalsethwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    why only fold it once, fold it twice to make it 2x as good.. everyone needs a cube phone.   /s      
    edited November 2022 mattinozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    SleepDoc said:
    Oh, ha ha. So clever. 

This reminds me of the Coke /Pepsi wars of the 80’s and 90’s. Pepsi made the better ads, but Coke made the more popular product. And that’s all that matters. 

Btw, I don’t know anyone buying a Samsung bc of folding phones, and right now, the iPhone 14 has the best camera, according to some experts. All the android users I know are either Apple haters, or that was what they could afford, or that’s what their job gave them. 

I can’t wait for Samsung announcement of their next “iPhone killer”. Lol. Keep dreaming. 
    Yes and nowadays Pepsi is the more popular product (at least in the US). So not sure who has the last laugh here. Propably us Europeans, because quite often Apple's new features are not available here while at the same time paying higher prices. So yea I take that as a net positive then.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Innovation takes time; copying takes far less.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    avon b7 said:
    It was a decent stab at highlighting how slow Apple is at bringing technology to market.. 
    Misaligned perspective. Apple isn't slow to bringing technology to to market, they've excelled at it for over 4 decades. They just don't rush to introduce a bunch of crap, hoping some sticks. Also related to their customer size, they don't roll out stuff until it's mature and can be introduced at scale. There is not a lot of pressure on Apple to introduce the latest new thing just because.
    Bart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,623member
    avon b7 said:
    It was a decent stab at highlighting how slow Apple is at bringing technology to market.. 
    Misaligned perspective. Apple isn't slow to bringing technology to to market, they've excelled at it for over 4 decades. They just don't rush to introduce a bunch of crap, hoping some sticks. Also related to their customer size, they don't roll out stuff until it's mature and can be introduced at scale. There is not a lot of pressure on Apple to introduce the latest new thing just because.
    Total hogwash. 

So it took ten years to move away from the 5W charger and even the 'sold separately' chargers were wholly underpowered. Isn't battery technology sufficiently mature? No. It's very mature. Same for wireless charging and reverse wireless charging? And battery capacity. The iPhone 6 fail was a lesson learned the hard way. Nothing to do with maturity. 

Is 3D depth sensing not mature? No again. So why has landscape unlock only been implemented this year? Why has 3D small object modelling not even appeared? 

The number one selling point for phones over the last five years has been camera technology. Apple has been playing catch up for the last five years. From low light technology, sensor technology, filter technology, zoom technologies, lens options etc. 

SoC technology isn't mature? Come on! 5G modem? Dual frequency GPS? Wi-Fi technology? Dual or triple ISPs? Apple was behind for many years. 

Apple is drip feeding features to users. There is no doubting that. Users can only look on and pray the wait isn't too long. 

Let's not talk about how long it took to get rid of the notch or even just shrink it! Yes, just shrinking the thing! 

Bezel? Better not talk about those. 

Biometrics? Was it so hard to provide users with a second biometric option? 

You get what Apple wants and only when Apple wants. Nothing to do with maturity or throwing things around to see what sticks. 

Android manufacturers can do that but it isn't the bread and butter of Android manufacturers. 

edited November 2022 ctt_zhgatorguy