Water proofing matches

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Here is a different way to waterproof matches.

(Presumes that you have matches with wooden stems ).

Simply empty contents of match box into small cup or saucer.

Then pour mineral or Gum turpentine over them.

Allow them to soak for about 5 minutes.

Drain off excess Turps.

Allow matches to dry thoroughly in sun

or somewhere away from flames etc.

You now have wonderfully cheap

& perfectly water-proof matches.

I've even thrown matches into water, retrieved them 10 minutes later, and despite their soaking, found that they strike without any spluttering or flaring & without any excess turps bubbling up to burn fingers.

I've even "waterproofed" the matchboxes with some degree of success. Only problem here is the glue that keeps the box together melts in the presence of turpentine.

I'm sure there are a few campers out there, give it a shot..you'll be pleasantly suprised..

Oh yes a word of caution to our Juniour members.

Please don't do this without the assistance or guidance of an adult who can supervise your experiment.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    uhhhh.

How much does a box of waterpreef matches cost? Is it actually worth the effort?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

uhhhh.

How much does a box of waterpreef matches cost?

A lot more than " normal " matches

Is it actually worth the effort?

Depends on whether you like having fun, experimenting & discovering things for yourself. or prefer others do the discoverying for you in a kinda second hand way.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Hey, I thought it was an interesting piece of info to share (and I don't even intend to make any waterproof matches anytime soon). This reminds me of the young days where I used to build a lot of those plastic models. Whenever you apply turpentine or mineral spirits to remove a paint smudge, I noticed it left an undesireable residue on the part which also happened to bead water quite nicely. Must be that "waterproofing effect".
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

Hey, I thought it was an interesting piece of info to share (and I don't even intend to make any waterproof matches anytime soon). This reminds me of the young days where I used to build a lot of those plastic models. Whenever you apply turpentine or mineral spirits to remove a paint smudge, I noticed it left an undesireable residue on the part which also happened to bead water quite nicely. Must be that "waterproofing effect".

Give that man a nobel prize for science !

Yep, its not just the waterproof matches thing, but the "figuring it our for ourselves " thing that I'm pushing.

As a life long & committed teacher, I just think it important to encourage our children ( as well as ourselves), to explore, examine & ask questions.

I'd rather be thought of as a dummy who wants to ask questions, than a know-it-all who revels in ignorance.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Oh, I've thought about it.

What's the cost of waterproof matches?

What's the cost of regular matches plus turpentine + a bucket you plan to never use again + the opportunity cost of doing something better with your time?

Yeah.

Anyway, at the same time you're making waterproof matches I'm exploring instruction cache compression. So I'm exploring too. Dumb argument. That's the opportunity cost I'm talking about.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    It's all equally valid, you might get paid for one type of knowledge and not another, but education is not primarily a commodity for some. A sense of wonder and excitment does come from even simple unmarketable experiences. Part of the richness of learning. If you make enough, and have the stuff around, it would even be cost effective. Matsu thinks of garage, plenty of tins and turpentine in there. How much time does it take to fill a tin with matches and pour turpentine over them?

One of the problems with modern learning is that the hands are not often enough involved in the process, even if the process seems menial, we definitely do to much buying and not enough cutting, planting, painting, etc etc... baby steps.

Meh, well, I thought the thread title was cool and was happy to learn that.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Splinemodel

[B]Oh, I've thought about it.

What's the cost of waterproof matches?

How is the opportunity cost measured ?

Using your "Better use of money & time model" would have robbed you and everyone else of one of the greatest achievements known to mankind.

See if you can guess what this " waste of time " was ?

MATERIAL COST ? : To include

Rope, pulleys, wire guides. two pedals, 15 feet of bicycle chain, ply-wood, light cotton cloth, small engine,

Plus two train tickets

( one way )

LABOR COST ?... Aprox....5,000 hours

DURATION OF EXPERIMENT? ...59 seconds

Result ?

According to your calculations The Wright Brothers should have stuck to making & Fixing Bicycles rather than doing foolish stuff like defying all the known knowledge about aviation at the time.

Dumb argument ?

What about Goddard ?

& Steve Jobs & Woz ?

Ring any bells ?