Good News With Syria

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Colin Powell will visit Syria

Powell to Visit Syria

I am watching Charlie Rose on Public Television and Imad Moustapha the deputy ambassador to the US from Syria has said some very encouraging words. Imad spoke of cooperation between Syria and the US over issues of the "war on terror" and other cooperation. He gave an outline of points concerning life in Syria. He said Syria has freedom of religion. Syria has a wide press available to the population. US periodicals and US networks including CNN are watched by Syrians. Satelites are available to the Syrian population. This combined with the trip Colin Powell will make to Damascus to meet with Syrian President Bashar Assad lead me to believe progress is on the table not only with Syria but the larger Middle East context.

What are your thoughts on the prospects of US / Syrian relations and indeed Middle Eastern relations in a larger context?

Are we going down the initial pathway of the "Roadmap to Peace" for the Palestinian / Israel issue?

I am very encouraged personally.

My own view in respect to speculation over why the US admin. used some harsh / critical language in regard to Syria is that such a statement from the US would encourage Syria to think strongly against considering any unwise actions and thus opening up to the US to advance a proactive and mutual path forward.

I can almost forcast what some of you may think about this cooperation namely that Syria is concerned about their oil supply now that Iraq is no longer selling Syria oil at give away prices like $9 PB or some such rate. Indeed that is likely part of the equation.

Fellowship

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    this is good news

though I have many doubts

Serria is a dictatorship much like Saddam used to be

torture chambers and all. Though they are not as bloody as Saddam was

Still they are protecting many of Saddams troops and Serria even fired upon US and british troops during the war.

Still I am sure that they know that Bush is not bluffing and it would be outstanding if they comply nicely.

• Reply 2 of 15
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    It's good news but I'm not encouraged.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I just heard his trip is NOT imminent. They'll fold anyway.

Isn't it interesting that Nuke Korea (ooops) and Iran are interested in talking now? Hmmm..
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

Imad spoke of cooperation between Syria and the US over issues of the "war on terror" and other cooperation. He gave an outline of points concerning life in Syria. He said Syria has freedom of religion. Syria has a wide press available to the population. US periodicals and US networks including CNN are watched by Syrians. Satelites are available to the Syrian population. This combined with the trip Colin Powell will make to Damascus to meet with Syrian President Bashar Assad lead me to believe progress is on the table not only with Syria but the larger Middle East context.

What are your thoughts on the prospects of US / Syrian relations and indeed Middle Eastern relations in a larger context?

Are we going down the initial pathway of the "Roadmap to Peace" for the Palestinian / Israel issue?

I am very encouraged personally.

My own view in respect to speculation over why the US admin. used some harsh / critical language in regard to Syria is that such a statement from the US would encourage Syria to think strongly against considering any unwise actions and thus opening up to the US to advance a proactive and mutual path forward.

For years Syria has been waging a war by proxy against Israel using Hezbollah. If we were to rank all the things we want from Syria (and it's a pretty long list), my guess is that number one would be to end their support for Hezbollah.

This trip is just more shuttle diplomacy - this time in the context of our freshly minted victory in Iraq. Currently, the game with Syria is "good cop, bad cop". Powell is the good cop. If he gets an agreement re: Hezbollah, the trip will be a success. If not, I'll be checking the baseball box scores.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Isn't it interesting that Nuke Korea (ooops) and Iran are interested in talking now?

Not to rain on your parade, but both countries were interested in talking before.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    no they were not
  • Reply 7 of 15
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    The "talk" directed towards Syrian leadership may have "worked"

MSNBC Link

Amazing.

Fellowship
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Um no they still have some splaining to do.

link

Quote:

The scientist also told American weapons experts that Iraq had secretly sent unconventional weapons and technology to Syria, starting in the mid-1990's, and that more recently Iraq was cooperating with Al Qaeda, the military officials said.

• Reply 9 of 15
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

link

I am in full understanding that we are not done with the issues surrounding Syrian relations. I am simply saying the harsh rhetoric from Washington worked and is working. The process has only begun.

Fellowship
  • Reply 10 of 15
    I don't think it will work. The MO with these dictatorships is always they same. They say whatever they want people to think is true and then get all indignant when we call them on their bullshit.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

link

Rrrrrreeaching.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Rrrrrreeaching.

?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

?

Unconfirmed reprts from one scientist who wants to be on good terms with the coalition?. Yes that reeeally nails Syria doesn´t it?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

Unconfirmed reprts from one scientist who wants to be on good terms with the coalition?. Yes that reeeally nails Syria doesn´t it?

Um no NYT article that agrees with other information and needs to be confirmed. You're the one who's reaching. Maybe just maybe Saddam did do all those things? You're anti-american bigotry doesn't serve you well these days.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Um no NYT article that agrees with other information and needs to be confirmed. You're the one who's reaching. Maybe just maybe Saddam did do all those things?

Yes maybe syria did these thing. But this doesn´t bring us one step closer to knowing it.

Quote:

ou're anti-american bigotry doesn't serve you well these days.

Oh shut up Scott. You have no idea do you? Remember my country was part of this war too.

This is what concerns me: The effect of this war for the future of international relations. Is this making the world a safer place to be or not? The Iraq war, especially if it becomes less important to find WoMD in Iraq, can make a precedence that say "countries that have the power can conquer any country they like for any reason they like".

Thats why I insist on the search for WoMD and I hope the are found. Only then is the war justified and you still have to have a good reason for attacking other countries. Even if WoMD isn´t found but the search has been important for the coalition it is still an established norm for starting wars that you have to have a reason that can stand to be expressed to the world.