Watch of ALL nine Democratic candidates discuss issues

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm a long time lurker and finally decided to register.

http://www.c-span.org/videoarchives....Code=Vote_2004

Watch all nine Democratic presidential candidates debate and discuss on various issues from everything such as gun control, the war, universal healthcare, to the economy at a forum hosted by the Children's Defense Fund. Learn the stance of each of the candidates.

After watching the debate, I'm leaning towards Howard Dean and Al Sharpton. I would prefer Al Sharpton for president but Howard Dean has more of a chance winning the presidency. Moseley-Braun, although having good ideas, has a very low chance of winning the nomination and is somewhat incompetent. Kerry seems to be running on nothing but "I have leadership skills so vote for me." Kucinich, although nice, is just plain outmatched by Dean and others. Kicinich is probably also probably the most radical of the bunch. Lieberman and Gephardt are competent but I feel someone new should run. I don't like ther fact that Lieberman is pro-war. Graham and Edwards are Republican Lite and I would think hard about voting for either of them in a presidential race if they won the primary depending on who is the Green party candidate and how close Bush is to losing.

My favorite moment is that 1:39 into the stream, a massive applause for Lieberman.

{Edit: Doh, I should have proof-read the subject title. Someone fix it.}

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Watch of ALL nine Democratic candidates discuss issues

Uh, let's not and say we did, how about?

And, oh yeah: SHARPTON?!?! Al Sharpton?

• Reply 2 of 46
    So far (41:00/1:56:00) Howard Dean and Kerry seems like good candidates. They were the only of the anti war people that didn´t use "why should we use money on Iraqis when we could use it at home?" HELLO. You are the richest country in the world.

Howard Dean was the only one mentioning the negative effect of the war on the international stability and presedence for future international conflicts.

To be honest: Sharpton really doesn´t sound like a presidentical candidate
  • Reply 3 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

To be honest: well no shit, genius!

You just now getting around to figuring this out? The man is - at best - a clown with a funny hair-do. At worst, a divisive, racist, lying brickthrower of the highest order.

If HE becomes President, I WILL leave the country. And unlike those full-of-hot-air pinheads Cher and Alec Baldwin, I'll actually follow through.

Got me a nice little piece of property staked out west of Sydney.

• Reply 4 of 46
    (51:00) Kicinich is out. Can´t talk concrete.

[edit]Don´t know who Sharpton is. Never seen him before.[/edit]
  • Reply 5 of 46
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

Creative thinkers like Al Sharpton is what this country needs. I agree with him on almost all the issues and like his style. He has more charisma than Steve Jobs and the audience certainly liked him.

In any case, no matter how bad you think he is, he is nowhere near the idoicy level of Bush.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    Shawn, go away. You're bothering me.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    Quote:

In any case, no matter how bad you think he is, he is nowhere near the idoicy level of Bush.

So J.Lo for prez?

Creative thinkers yes. But you still have to have the overview. And (based on what I have seen here) he doesn´t seem to have it
  • Reply 8 of 46
    Quote:

My favorite moment is that 1:39 into the stream, a massive applause for Lieberman.

I thought Liebermann was smarter.

Let it go Joe
  • Reply 9 of 46
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    It's unlikely I'll support Al Sharpton in the primaries because he probably has a low chance of getting nominated. If he's in the top three and Dean is less popular, then he'll have my support.

Here's my order of perference:

1&2. Al Sharpton and Dean, tied.

3. Gephardt

4. Kerry

5. Moseley-Braun

6. Lieberman

7. Kucinich

8. Edwards

9. Graham
  • Reply 10 of 46
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    1. Lieberman

2. Kerry

3. Edwards

4. Graham

5. Dean

6. Gephardt

I'm not counting anyone else.

• Reply 11 of 46
    Lieberman is leading in the national polls but Iowa and New Hampshire are where it counts right now. I'm not a big fan of Lieberman but of all the Democratic candidates out there I like him best. I don't think he'll win the nomination, though.
  • Reply 12 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Shawn, go away. You're bothering me.

WTF?

• Reply 13 of 46
    Oh man...

Howard Dean and Bob Graham!!! That's the ticket.

I hate Lieberman.

I dislike Gephardt as a candidate.

Sharpton's a joke. Come on now.

I would accept Kerry.

One thing's for sure...

HRC in 2008!
  • Reply 14 of 46
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zaphod_beeblebrox

Lieberman is leading in the national polls but Iowa and New Hampshire are where it counts right now. I'm not a big fan of Lieberman but of all the Democratic candidates out there I like him best. I don't think he'll win the nomination, though.

He's your senator, isn't he. But yeah, it looks like Kerry will get it. It's too bad that it's possible to project who will get the nomination just by looking at the money and the organization around a candidate (e.g., Bush in 1999). Kerry will be a decent candidate, though. And given that he's already won CA and NY, the two most populous states...

• Reply 15 of 46
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Since when do Democrats discuss issues?

Nick
  • Reply 16 of 46
    *flame bait*

• Reply 17 of 46
    Here's some figures on fundraising efforts.

Kerry is leading the pack is the amount of money hoarded while Moseley-Braun doesnt even have enough to waste on a Hummer.

Quote:

The hopefuls began this month in widely varying financial health. Kerry had $8 million left to spend; Edwards $5.7 million; Gephardt, $4.9 million; Dean, $2 million; Lieberman, $1.8 million; Sen. Bob Graham, about $1.1 million; Rep. Dennis Kucinich, $50,397; and former Sen. Carol Moseley Braun, $45,005. Al Sharpton did not file a campaign finance report.

I hope Al has at least 3 million.

I've seen figures that Bush has "secured" as of now at least 20 million.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I think everyone should support Al. He would be the best man to run against Bush. You know, 'cause, he has creative ideas.
  • Reply 19 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I think everyone should support Al. He would be the best man to run against Bush. You know, 'cause, he has creative ideas.

I agree. (I've changed my mind about liking Lieberman best.) I think I'll even volunteer to work for Al's campaign. Go Al!!!

And yes, BRussell, Lieberman is my senator. I hope he won't feel too betrayed.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    Quote:

I'm leaning towards Howard Dean and Al Sharpton.

If the Dems nominate either of these guys, it all but guarentees a victory for Bush in '04.