iOS 16.1.1 update expected soon with Emergency SOS via Satellite, bug fixes

Posted:
in iOS
Apple could soon release iOS 16.1.1 with the Emergency SOS via Satellite feature for iPhone 14 models and a bug fix affecting Apple's advertising network.

Emergency SOS via Satellite coming in November update
Emergency SOS via Satellite coming in November update

Multiple signs are appearing that Apple will release iOS 16.1.1 before the end of November, and likely soon. The update could release the promised Emergency SOS via Satellite and address bugs in the operating system.

In a system status first reported by MacRumors, Apple says that an update is imminent to address an issue with SKAdNetwork. That also aligns with recent sightings of devices running iOS 16.1.1 visiting the website.

"There is an issue impacting SKAdNetwork for users on iOS 16.1," says the Apple system status page. "We are working to quickly resolve this issue in a software update."

The issue reportedly began on November 3, but no other information was provided.

The SOS via Satellite feature was announced alongside the iPhone 14 lineup but wasn't launching to customers until November. The upcoming point update should enable the feature, as it is unlikely for Apple to release another significant update before the end of the month.

Apple launched new advertising slots in the App Store on October 25, which were abused by gambling and other unsightly app types. The company halted advertising from those apps, but it isn't clear if this issue with the ad system is related or not.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Will SOS via satellite work in US only?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Maybe I won’t have to restart my phone every morning because.. while it’s connected to Wi-Fi, it says no Internet connection.  
    unbeliever2twokatmewwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    How were the slots abused by gambling ads? These gambling and 'unsightly apps' were allowed on the store, and so were their ads.
    If it weren't for the outrage, they'd probably still be there.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Seems even the beta iPadOS (16.2) is having access to the internet (specifically App Store) issues on both my M1 iPad 11 and iPad mini V6. Also, the MacStudio seems challenged on version 12.6.1 as well. Wondering if there are key major DNS servers being corrupted?
    twokatmewwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Why does my iPhone 13 Pro show SOS in the spot where ATT is when I don’t have service?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    twokatmewtwokatmew Posts: 48unconfirmed, member
    Why does my iPhone 13 Pro show SOS in the spot where ATT is when I don’t have service?
    It’s reminding you that you don’t have service. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    twokatmew said:
    It’s reminding you that you don’t have service. 
    That’s fine, but also gives the impression that I have a way to call for help. OS should know it’s on a 13 and not display this. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 10
    All USA cell phones are able to dial 911 even with no service or sim as that is a requirement for the certification of the cell phone. The SOS tells you there is no sim
    in the phone so no non-emergency calls but you can dial 911
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    ApplePoor said:
    All USA cell phones are able to dial 911 even with no service or sim as that is a requirement for the certification of the cell phone. The SOS tells you there is no sim
    in the phone so no non-emergency calls but you can dial 911
    To clarify, if "no service" means you don't have a service plan with a carrier, or it's expired, you can still call 911.  If you have "no service" because you're out of range of any carrier's tower, you're gonna be SOL even if your carrier service is in full effect.  Thus the usefulness of satellite SOS for those who frequent those types of areas.
    watto_cobra