Colorado drivers can now add a license or state ID to Apple Wallet

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2022
Colorado drivers can add their license to Apple Wallet for a digital experience as long as they have iOS 15 or later.

Colorodo state ID inside Wallet
Colorodo state ID inside Wallet

The Colorado Department of Revenue announced Wednesday that citizens could add their driver's license or state ID to Apple Wallet on iPhone and Apple Watch. So far, people can use it at certain TSA checkpoints at Denver International Airport, and other airports in certain states.

We're excited to announce your Colorado ID is now on your iPhone and Apple Watch.

Now you can add your Colorado driver license or state ID to Apple Wallet on iPhone and Apple Watch. You can present it easily at select @TSA checkpoints at @DENAirport. https://t.co/ldKbXIC9bY pic.twitter.com/9V8IhVPuML

-- CO Dept. of Revenue (@CO_Revenue)

When Apple announced iOS 15 and other updates during WWDC 2021, it mentioned support for identification inside the Wallet app. Since then, the company has worked with various state agencies and the U.S. Transportation Security Administration to support the feature.

The ID includes a person's legal name, date of birth, photo, and Real ID status and is securely stored in the device's Secure Enclave chip.

Similar to adding a credit or debit card to Wallet, users can tap the plus button inside the Wallet app to start adding an ID. They will then be asked to use their iPhone to scan their physical driver's license or state ID card and take a selfie, which the device will securely provide to the issuing state for verification.

People can also control the amount of ID information shared with a TSA agent or other authority. For example, when tapping an iPhone or Apple Watch on a special reader, a prompt appears on the device that displays the requested information.

The information is released only after the user authenticates using Touch ID or Face ID. People don't have to unlock, show, or hand over their devices to present their ID.

Other states that have been reported to be adding digital IDs support inside Apple Wallet sooninclude Arizona, Connecticut, Georgia, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Oklahoma, and Utah.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Why doesn’t the State mandate the use of products made by companies headquartered in their own state and pay taxes here? Would love to see them feature and use Apple products and services.  Instead they buy cheap Windoze crap because it’s cheap. I bet Apple would cut a discount deal with California. 
    hecalderiOS_Guy80watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    AI said:
    People can also control the amount of ID information shared with a TSA agent or other authority. For example, when tapping an iPhone or Apple Watch on a special reader, a prompt appears on the device that displays the requested information.

The information is released only after the user authenticates using Touch ID or Face ID. People don't have to unlock, show, or hand over their devices to present their ID.

Ok, that's something I could live with to store my ID on my phone. Though I've nothing to hide I don't like the idea of handing my phone over and affording someone the opportunity to rummage through it for whatever reason.

hecalderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Get your story right…Georgia is not supported or a choice
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    trm1032 said:
    Yeah, I saw the state I live in listed here. When I went to try it the only options listed in Wallet are Arizona, Colorado and Maryland, all three of which I had seen announced here on AI. Then I checked apple.com where I seem to remember a list of states that had committed to supporting this feature. I didn’t see that list here, https://learn.wallet.apple/id, and only the three currently supported states are shown with more “on the way”.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    trm1032 said:
    Other states that have been reported to be adding digital IDs support inside Apple Wallet soon include Arizona, Connecticut, Georgia,
    beowulfschmidtentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Reading comprehension is not a priority in modern western school systems.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    fred1 said:
    trm1032 said:
    Other states that have been reported to be adding digital IDs support inside Apple Wallet soon include Arizona, Connecticut, Georgia,
    This article was edited after that post you quoted. It initially said “other states that support digital IDs” and listed several states. It made it sound like several more states currently support digital IDs in Wallet than the 3 that actually do. 

edited November 2022 watto_cobra