Meta's 11,000 job cuts may be only the beginning

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    Couldn't have anything to do with rampand censorship and "factcheckers" - who, by Facebook's own admission in court, are merely sources of "opinions". 

I am very, very happy that telling people what to think is not profitable. 

Leads to losses. 

Same with Netflix. Regardless of what anyone's opinions are on any topics, content providers should not push an agenda. 

Facebook like all social media is actually protected under a rule where it is not responsible for user content - meaning users can talk freely, but it doesn't affect Facebook. 

Since Facebook started censoring people and posts on certain topics, one could argue Facebook should then be governed like a publisher. As it is now curating content and thereby pushing an agenda, it should then also be held to account for misinformation it was actively promoting, while suppressing facts under the cover of misinformation. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 24
    JP234 said:
    JP234 said:
    Since this is an Apple Insider forum, an appropriate example of historic trends seems appropriate.

On January 26th, 1996, Sun Microsystems was in talks to buy up Apple, then worth $3.89 billion. Sun's market cap was over $10.6 billion.
    Today, Apple's market cap is $2.18 trillion. Sun was sold to Oracle Corporation in 2009 for $5.6 billion, and no longer exists.

It remains to be seen how social media providers' competition for revenue shakes out, but the previous example speaks to the unpredicatbility of long term trends in customers' and clients' loyalties to tech providers. And with both customers and advertising clients abandoning existing social media platforms in large numbers, it's possible (even likely) the arc of their dominance will echo AOL's. No telling if a new social media platform will emerge to take their place, but it's also possible that global consumers have had enough of the toxic atmosphere generated by the lack of accountability or consequence. When I insult you in person, I risk violent retaliation, and thus am more likely to be civil. The anonymity and lack of physical proximity encourage the worst human instincts, as proven on ALL social media platforms. I've had enough. This is now the only forum in which I engage, and have been saddened by the increasing incivility I've been seeing here.
    Increasing incivility in this forum? I see that you have joined this forum on Feb-03-2022, just the beginning of this year. It used to be lot worse in the previous years. Forum admins have done a great job in moderation and it has become lot better compared to even 2 years ago. Just my 2 cents.
    Which begs the question, why do these admins allow inflammatory political rhetoric by MadBum and others here?
    Well, the admins have to strike a balance between proactive moderation and forum activity. They do allow people to post on most of the topics (even the sensitive ones) to the extent possible. And only when things go completely out of hand, they shut down the threads which have become harder to maintain. I think they are striking a good balance for the forum activity. Of course, you may run into one or two issues here and there, but that doesn't mean the overall situation has become worser. It used to be far worse in the past and things have got much better in my opinion. I am making this statement based on my experience of reading this forum for 5-6 years.
    JP234bala1234
  • Reply 23 of 24
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    11,000 done, only 73,000 left to go before society is rid of Facebook
    JP234watto_cobra