Apple hires Facebook exec to lead its information systems department

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has tapped a former Facebook executive to head up its online services, website, and customer support infrastructure.

Apple Park
Apple Park

It was first learned in late October that Apple's Chief Information Officer, Mary Demby, would retiring after three decades. At the time, it wasn't clear who would replace her.

Now, it seems the tech giant has figured out who will step into the role -- Timothy Campos.

Campos held the same role for six years at Facebook, now Meta, from 2010 until 2016. As Bloomberg points out, he also co-founded Woven, a calendar app that was acquired by Slack in 2021.

He had posted on his LinkedIn profile that he is "getting ready for something new" but did not disclose the position. According to Bloomberg, a spokesperson for Apple confirmed the new hire.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    It is a failure of the organization when a company like Apple cannot promote from within to fill senior management roles
    fred1danoxgrandact73
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Apple sold out to Facebook
  • Reply 3 of 17
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    The previous comments seem to be ignorant of the fact that employees of a company are not the same as the company they work for.  There are some talented people in tech who do move around to various tech firms.  Good for them.  As to whether FaceBook experience can help Apple, who knows.  But I highly doubt it's going to suddenly transform Apple into a Mark Zuckerberg creation.
    lollivermuthuk_vanalingammichelb76CluntBaby92FileMakerFellerAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    The guy hasn’t worked for Facebook in 6 years. He left right as the insanity began. 
    lolliverwelshdogCluntBaby92Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
     I’m not sure how you come to that conclusion. But ok. 
    lollivermuthuk_vanalingamCluntBaby92watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    To whom did Facebook sell out when FaceBook acquired Campos from his previous company? 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Nice reasoning here. I guess none of you would ever hire anyone from Apple as they messed up mobileme/icloud at least twice? Why would you hire someone from a company that puts gambling ads in their store? There is a TON of talent at FB that could be of great use to Apple.
    muthuk_vanalingamdewmeAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    michelb76 said:
    Nice reasoning here. I guess none of you would ever hire anyone from Apple as they messed up mobileme/icloud at least twice? Why would you hire someone from a company that puts gambling ads in their store? There is a TON of talent at FB that could be of great use to Apple.
    Correct. And he's just the CIO, which is basically the head of the IT department, not anything important like the R&D department. He's basically a janitor. He can't mess up being a janitor, by definition.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    michelb76 said:
    Correct. And he's just the CIO, which is basically the head of the IT department, not anything important like the R&D department. He's basically a janitor. He can't mess up being a janitor, by definition.
    Comparing IT to janitorial services makes me chuckle — I guess it’s kind of true, but I never would have thought of it.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    The story on airdrop in China makes me sad, in more ways than one. Enjoy this comment while you can.
    Phoenix303ilarynxAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Came here to say the same. Insider turning off comments, Apple cutting free speech, and Chinese communism all exhibiting similar thought process here. Horrible to see. blastdoor said:
    The story on airdrop in China makes me sad, in more ways than one. Enjoy this comment while you can.

Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 17
    blastdoor said:
    Came here to say the same. Insider turning off comments, Apple cutting free speech, and Chinese communism all exhibiting similar thought process here. Horrible to see.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 17
    blastdoor said:
    Came here to say the same. Insider turning off comments, Apple cutting free speech, and Chinese communism all exhibiting similar thought process here. Horrible to see.
    I tend to skip and not read the articles that comments are suspended on.
    Alex1NPhoenix303watto_cobragrandact73
  • Reply 14 of 17
    LOL! If you're gonna troll you could at least be creative.  :D
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Came here to say the same. Insider turning off comments, Apple cutting free speech, and Chinese communism all exhibiting similar thought process here. Horrible to see. blastdoor said:

Didn't Apple learn their lesson when they kowtowed to P-Utin on the App Store?

Guess not. 
    Phoenix303watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Alex1NAlex1N Posts: 129member
    :D :D :D re the article headline. I found it ironic - and funny.
    edited November 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 17
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,799member
    jdw said:
    The previous comments seem to be ignorant of the fact that employees of a company are not the same as the company they work for.  There are some talented people in tech who do move around to various tech firms.  Good for them.  As to whether FaceBook experience can help Apple, who knows.  But I highly doubt it's going to suddenly transform Apple into a Mark Zuckerberg creation.
    If Apple doesn’t have anyone by this time inside their company something is wrong……Existing Apple people will be teaching this person his job.