Do I smell a special event on April 28th? CONFIRMED!

Comments

• Reply 41 of 252
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

It'd be a steal for classical music-listening folks: imagine getting, say, a Furtwangler performance of a Beethoven symphony for only $4. That's Naxos label territory! (Granted, many classical music listeners would want CD-quality sound, not lossy MP3 or MPEG4; however, some classic performances are hard to come by these days...)

EDIT: Spelling

There will be different categories of prize, like in the book edition.

BTW you are right, i won't buy crappy MP3 music for listening classical music.
  • Reply 42 of 252
    Well you're right guys. Maybe 99 cents per song is the right price. You could use it to buy the best singles from artists you wouldn't bother too much to get the whole CD. Maybe they can even offer oldies for a discount, or last year's hits at a reduced price.
  • Reply 43 of 252
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Sometimes I have to chuckle when I see people post that Apple will release like 4 or 5 new/updated products all on the same day, like iPod, Music service, PowerBook, iBook, etc... Maybe my memory is a little hazy, but when does Apple ever update more than one product at a time (maybe two at a time), on the same day/week, other than at MW? I know things change and it could happen, but I HIGHLY DOUBT it.
  • Reply 44 of 252
    geddoegeddoe Posts: 45member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

No... it can't be 99 cents. Say, if a typical CD costs 15 USD, and you'll buy 14 songs off the disc for 99 cents each, then you might a well buy the CD at a store and you get nice packaging with it. It has to be something like 60 cents per song, or 6.99 USD for a whole CD.

99 cents isn't bad. I've bought way too many CDs with 1 to 3 good songs and rest were mediocre or garbage. By buying each song separately, I can pay for the ones I want and don't have to buy the ones I don't. If this type of service became the major means of distributing music, then music artists could spend less time making filler music to fill a CD and concentrate on music that is something. Music artists could release songs individually when they are made rather than save them in some cases for years to get enough music to fill a CD.
  • Reply 45 of 252
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

No... it can't be 99 cents. Say, if a typical CD costs 15 USD, and you'll buy 14 songs off the disc for 99 cents each, then you might a well buy the CD at a store and you get nice packaging with it. It has to be something like 60 cents per song, or 6.99 USD for a whole CD.

99 cents per song is fine, especially if you get a "bulk discount" by buying the entire CD. For a lot of CDs, the option to buy only a handful of songs will be quite attractive.

My main concern is that the artists' royalties improve over the current system. Since the big labels are involved, I imagine that they're working overtime to make sure that they still get the overwhelming majority of the income, and dribble the same number of crumbs to the artists.
  • Reply 46 of 252
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

My main concern is that the artists' royalties improve over the current system. Since the big labels are involved, I imagine that they're working overtime to make sure that they still get the overwhelming majority of the income, and dribble the same number of crumbs to the artists.

Quite true. Perhaps in the future, artists can bypass the record companies altogether, the way Stephen King did with his ebook releases.
  • Reply 47 of 252
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Geddoe

99 cents isn't bad. I've bought way too many CDs with 1 to 3 good songs and rest were mediocre or garbage. By buying each song separately, I can pay for the ones I want and don't have to buy the ones I don't. If this type of service became the major means of distributing music, then music artists could spend less time making filler music to fill a CD and concentrate on music that is something. Music artists could release songs individually when they are made rather than save them in some cases for years to get enough music to fill a CD.

But how would you know song #13 is a good song if it hasn't been released? I really don't see people buying whole CDs this way because it would possibly be cheaper jsut to buy the damn thing from a store. This is for those would want to have this song, then that song and oh, yea, I like that song to.

Imagine when we recorded to tape from the radio. That's what I see happening, inwhich .99¢ a single isn't bad because it's a couple bucks in the store. If you bought all the singles in a store it would be more then $20 for a CD.
  • Reply 48 of 252
    ompusompus Posts: 163member
    If Apple buys Universal... You'll have different levels of access priced according to quantity AND quality.

Free: Everyone will have access to the entire Universal Music collection over the internet... the catch is that the sound will be mono and the sample rate below 22 bits. You like it? You buy up to 256 bit version for $.99 for songs 5 minutes or less. Volume discounts apply.

Member: For $29.99 yearly, you get unlimited access to the entire Univesal Collection... sound quality is stereo and the sample rate 44 bits. You like it? You buy up to 256 bit version for $.88 for songs 6 minutes or less. Volume discounts apply.

"Gold Member": For 59.99, yearly, you get access to the entire Univesal Collection... sound quality is stereo and the sample rate 92 bits. You like it? You buy it for $.77 for songs 7 minutes or less. Volume discounts apply.

The critical point here is that you'll always be able to hear a Universal release for FREE before you buy it. The catch is that the quality will be degraded to that point where the song sounds good enough to communicate the lyrics, beat and melody but bad enough to leave you jonesin' for the high-bit version.
  • Reply 49 of 252
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Hmm, delicious! The Radio section in iTunes would have "Apple Universal" wares first on the list.

Screed
  • Reply 50 of 252
    Interstingly, the Canadian Apple store now lists both the iBooks and eMacs as being available in 30 days. The U.S. Apple store stills show immediate or near-immediate availability, but I think this is nevertheless another hint that a release of updated hardware is getting close.
  • Reply 51 of 252
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Now, now, children...let's not get carried away on a Quark tangent... Well, party's over for the Universal/ Apple deal: Apple released a satement that these rumors were NOT true. However, this does not totally rule out the AppleMusic possibility.
  • Reply 52 of 252
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

D Well, party's over for the Universal/ Apple deal: Apple released a satement that these rumors were NOT true.

Correction. Apple released a statement that said they had not made an offer for Universal. That does not mean they aren't thinking about it.
  • Reply 53 of 252
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I stand corrected.
  • Reply 54 of 252
    **Confirmed**

(Always wanted to do that)

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/...21/appleevent/
  • Reply 55 of 252
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomb of the Unknown

**Confirmed**

I hate it when people get rumors right. It makes me lose faith in the Religion of Wild-Ass Guessing.
  • Reply 56 of 252
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I was saying around the 19th or maybe even next Monday is when they'd announce a SPECIAL EVENT for the 28th/29th when they'd announce all the new stuff.

Geez, I didn't expect to be this right. Pretty good since I called it by starting this thread back on April 5th. But I used sheer "Apple logic" to deduce that this was going to happen.
  • Reply 57 of 252
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    ... Time now for more "Apple Logic" ...

If Apple does not update the 15-inch PowerBook on Monday, April 28th, it greatly improves the chances of a PowerBook with a PPC970 at the WWDC in June.
  • Reply 58 of 252
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Apple event with 'announcements that will be music to your ears'

April 21 - 09:06 EDT__ In an invitation sent out today, Apple announced that it will be holding a special event in San Francisco on Monday, April 28, 2003. The invitation was not specific on what the company would announce at the event, but it did say that Apple will have "announcements that will be music to your ears," according to MacCentral. As you may recall, recent speculation has centered around Apple's plans to launch a digital music service, reports that the company will acquire Universal Music, as well as rumored iPod updates.

Also, Think Secret reports that on May 2 (Friday) Apple Stores will be featuring a new product starting at 6 PM! Go here:

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/may2.html
  • Reply 59 of 252
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Apple event with 'announcements that will be music to your ears'

April 21 - 09:06 EDT__ In an invitation sent out today, Apple announced that it will be holding a special event in San Francisco on Monday, April 28, 2003. The invitation was not specific on what the company would announce at the event, but it did say that Apple will have "announcements that will be music to your ears," according to MacCentral. As you may recall, recent speculation has centered around Apple's plans to launch a digital music service, reports that the company will acquire Universal Music, as well as rumored iPod updates.
  • Reply 60 of 252
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Please check your subject title again