Apple rolls out new AirTag firmware update

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has released an update for AirTags, refreshing the firmware of the item tracker and bringing it up to version 2.0.24.

Released alongside other betas on Thursday, the AirTag firmware update is build number 2A24e, replacing the previous build, 1A301. However, precisely what has been updated in the firmware is unclear, as Apple has yet to release notes about the update itself.

While users typically have ways to update devices' firmware manually, there is no such option for AirTag. Instead, users have to wait for it to occur on its own.

You can check the firmware version of your AirTag via the Find My app on your phone. Once in Find My, tap the relevant AirTag, then tap the battery icon for the AirTag -- this will display the serial number and the firmware version.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    The battery icon has been removed from the latest IOS and Mac versions of the Find My App.  No way to check firmware.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Found out how to do it.  Open Find My App.  Tap on the actual name of the airtag.  Up comes serial number and firmware version.
    racerhomie3kiehtanlolliverAlex1NiOSDevSWEAppleUfmyIwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    The previous version was 1.0.301 for those who wonder about the A but in 1A301.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    The battery icon has been removed from the latest IOS and Mac versions of the Find My App.  No way to check firmware.
    This was done a while ago. Very annoying and difficult to understand why. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    fred1 said:
    This was done a while ago. Very annoying and difficult to understand why. 
    Bugs me when they removed the battery level icon. Now you're only advised when the battery is very low in the red. I guess Apple feels you only know when the battery is about to die and not when it's at half-life.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    My AirTags are at 1.0.301 and I can't find any way to update the firmware level.

Spend over an hour getting AirPods updated yesterday, but thus far AirTags have proven immune to everything I've tried.

I think I'm going to just go with whatever firmware level they're at - especially since lord knows what's changed anyway.

Apple really needs to include controls for firmware updates in the Mac or iOS devices.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member

I think I'm going to just go with whatever firmware level they're at - especially since lord knows what's changed anyway.

This seems to be the best approach since it’s unclear how to make them upgrade. As you say as well, there don’t seem to be any essential features in the upgrades anyway. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I own several AirTags. Apple needs to make it much easier to upgrade your air tags and bring back the battery level icon. It shouldn’t take you half a day to update your AirTags, for I have a life.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    DarrellY said:
    I own several AirTags. Apple needs to make it much easier to upgrade your air tags and bring back the battery level icon. It shouldn’t take you half a day to update your AirTags, for I have a life.
    This is Apple‘s way of saying that it really shouldn’t bother you enough to waste half a day of your life. 

If it were important, they’d notify you. 

As it is, they’d just have updated eventually, and you’d never have known but for those meddling geek news sites.