TransUnion breached, consumers' financial information exposed

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2022
TransUnion has sent letters to consumers alerting them to a recent data breach that compromised a wide array of their personal and financial information.

On Monday, TransUnion reported a data breach with the Massachusetts Attorney General. It currently isn't known how many people were affected in the breach.

According to JDSupra, TransUnion said that the breach resulted in names, full Social Security numbers, financial account numbers, and complete driver's license numbers being compromised.

TransUnion has sent letters to all affected parties with instructions to help protect themselves from identity theft and fraud.

TransUnion is one of the largest consumer credit reporting agencies, collating information from more than a billion users globally and 200 million files in the United States alone.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Yay. Maybe we’ll get free credit monitoring services for the next year like Experian did following their data breach.
    JaiOh81
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Oh good, another pitiful settlement coming.

It's time to make these HURT.  We need corporate 'prison'.  Cease all operations for 20 years.
    dasjettah4y3sFileMakerFellerzeus423Alex1Nmac_dogtyler82OferlarryaJaiOh81
  • Reply 3 of 13
    That was Equifax, FYI

macmaverickk said:
    Yay. Maybe we’ll get free credit monitoring services for the next year like Experian did following their data breach.

FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    darkvader said:
    Oh good, another pitiful settlement coming.

It's time to make these HURT.  We need corporate 'prison'.  Cease all operations for 20 years.
    It might be more effective to prevent them from offering services digitally for a given number of years/months. After all, if they've proven that their attitude to information security is lax and their adherence to various regulations and "industry standards" is flawed there is no justification for them to continue operating such services.

If there hasn't been a breach of their paper records, they can still use those. Otherwise, yank their financial services license. No way any organisation that can't keep its own house in order should be passing any sort of judgement on the suitability of an individual for anything.
    Alex1NrayboOferJaiOh81watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    It will take someone "important" to get hurt financially before any kind of real action will ever be taken against these negligent companies.
    Alex1NOferJaiOh81watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    A coworker of mine discovered his identity was stolen literally just hours after someone attempted to change the address on some of his financial accounts.  His financial advisor called him as the application's email address appears to be suspicious.  I was in the office listening in on the phone call.  He checked his credit report and found multiple pings just hours earlier opening up new accounts.  It was scary to listen to his plight as banks and the post office made it so difficult to stop the theft.  Thankfully, as his was caught so early, he managed to clear everything up before any real damaged occured.

It was at that point I placed a freeze on all my credit reports.  I never want to be on the receiving end of what happened to my coworker.

These types of breaches infuriate me.  Those in charge of keeping my information safe should be fined into oblivion, and those that placed security of my information second to their financial gain should be jailed.
    dewmeOferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    What is it going to take I myself been dealing with identity theft since Capital One, Experian, TD, Equifax and now TransUnion.
    Believe me it's never cleaned up as far as your credit because once your information is out there it is out there forever. You think you got a handle on it score back up and Bam things start popping up again. Neverending battle hurts you in so many many ways because low credit score higher car, homeowners insurance prices. You may lose your credit cards or or at least get your credit line dropped along with an interest increase. Forget about buying a car unless you're willing to pay the max interest rate allowed by your state and financed by one of those predatory lenders. Don't try to change banks if your credit score is low my not be able to get an account maybe a savings but forget a checking. So who ends up paying we do not these companies who want our information and sell it make money on it etc.
    Then they are breached get a slap on the wrist from the FTC. These companies need to be held accountable and clean up the mess they made of our credit and information but as we know it is impossible because once it's out there it will always be out there. Congress and the Senate better wakeup and smell the coffee consumers without buying power is only going to compound our economies problems with the rising inflation and also remember you need great credit to buy a house and at least good credit to be able to rent a place to live.
    Someone in DC better wakeup and start thinking about us because without us the consumer. No having buying power this already fragile economy is only going to get worse people homeless, starving, not being able to afford the necessities to live and to think they are still raising taxes. Why is it if we claim bankruptcy it destroys our credit but when a millionaire claims bankruptcy th he or she can walk into a financial institution and borrow money the next day. Think about it we need change let them know we voted you in we can vote you out. This needs to stop these companies need to be held accountable and the CEO's, CFO's, etc. Should be jailed for exposing our private information and the companies, shutdown and restructured. Why should we keep paying for Big Corporate mistakes and they walk away free as a bird. Big salaries, stock options and let's not forget their golden parachute never to be held accountable!!!!!!!!
    dewmeOferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    sflocal said:
    … should be jailed.
    Federal prison. But that will never ever happen. 
    Oferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Using the same company to monitor our information that LOST our information? NO THANKS! 
      This is exactly why I use and offer the IDShield from PPLSI. 
      m_bishop.wearelegalshield.com/ids 
    JaiOh81
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I haven't seen anything regarding this from Trans Union.  I keep my credit reports frozen after the Equipment fax breach so no one can open credit.  Its free and you can easily unlock your credit reports for a short period of time to allow a legit creditor to pull your report.
    h4y3swatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    JonGJonG Posts: 24unconfirmed, member
    Three kinds of companies:
    1. Those that have been breached and have admitted it.
    2. Those that have been breached and haven't admitted it.
    3. Those that have been breached and don't know it.

JaiOh81watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    I realize that this approach is considered too violent these days and the mere suggestion is enough to get me banned from the site, but so be it. It's all well and good to punish companies for not keeping the doors locked, but ultimately the fault for these breaches lies with the hackers. Hunt them down and regularly put a bullet through a few of their heads and I suspect these problems would taper off to negligible levels very rapidly. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Would like to find out how to start a class action suit against them
    This company is allowing us to be placed in a harm with our personal information and need to be punished to the fullest extent of the law

JaiOh81watto_cobra