Twitter Blue is dead, 'official' checkmarks resurrected

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    I wonder what the Saturday policies will be. Or Sunday... Yada yada nutty Elon. 
    JaiOh81watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Twitter has the potential to be the one-stop social media shop. but it needs more features. 
    No, twitter needs to be what it’s always been. When social media companies try to be everyone’s everything, it always ends in disaster and a bunch of nuanced and stolen features that nobody cares about. Example is Facebook. Twitter works because it is what it is and differentiates itself. Just like instagram should never allow only text posts, or TikTok allowing posting pictures. They all have their niche and that’s what makes them great, except Facebook. 
    stompyJaiOh81urashid
  • Reply 23 of 30
    I don’t want to shout „Sinek“, or „let’s dance our names“, but at least some of this could be the result when your boss has the leadership skills and the emotional intelligence of a rock. 
    JaiOh81watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 30
    SpaceX had a few rockets crash before they achieved greatness. TwitterX will probably do the same thing.
    JP234ad0niramdewme
  • Reply 25 of 30
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    SpaceX had a few rockets crash before they achieved greatness. TwitterX will probably do the same thing.
    Very reasonable reaction. I’m happy to sit back and enjoy the show. It’s impossible to reach any kind of logical conclusion with everything in such a chaotic state. Right now it reminds me of when I was a kid and somebody threw a marshmallow into the monkey cage at the zoo. Ever since then my definition of pure chaos is based on the “marshmallow in a monkey cage” scenario. 
    entropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 30
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    dewme said:
    Very reasonable reaction. I’m happy to sit back and enjoy the show. It’s impossible to reach any kind of logical conclusion with everything in such a chaotic state. Right now it reminds me of when I was a kid and somebody threw a marshmallow into the monkey cage at the zoo. Ever since then my definition of pure chaos is based on the “marshmallow in a monkey cage” scenario. 
    A fantastic metaphor.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 30
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Good god - where the hell did anyone get the idea that Blue is dead?  The amount of gaslighting around twitter is off the charts.  But not surprising since the establishment has lost it's favorite mouthpiece.

People paying >$10K under the table for blue checks before Elon - funny how that never gets brought up.  No wonder people are pissed that the plebs can get the same thing for $8  :D
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 30
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    mystigo said:
    • Also not clear is why Twitter didn't retain the blue checkmark for verified accounts, and implement a different color or shape for the paid subscriptions.
    Right? Dead simple solution but Elon's crazed fever mind couldn't come up with it.
    He couldn’t do that. He wanted to surf the wave of far right idiots who thought they were unfairly treated for not being able to get the blue check while “the elite” did. So he wanted everyone to be one the same level ; paying but still on the same level. 
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Old twitter: didn't do much and still couldn't implement any changes over the course of forever.

New Twitter: Pivots multiple times in a week from day 1 to verify what works and what doesn't.

I'll take New Twitter every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Strange article though. Making official statements on things that have not been communicated is odd. Twitter was a mess and needs a LOT of overhaul. These feature tests aren't going away anytime soon. Twitter is coming up with great ideas and then reading the room.

Instead of acting like an old, crusty telecom or Microsoft, it has trimmed the fat and acting like a startup - a lean, mean freedom of speech machine. Just because it made a decision doesn't mean it has to stick with it if it was the wrong one, no matter how right it seemed in the boardroom. They are reading the room and responding quickly - something universally recognized as a good thing. Some people are just mad because they wanted to bash the decision forever. and then get upset that their little target for hate has been removed. It's hilarious.

Twitter is finally in the hands of someone who is not only a very capable and hugely successful businessman, but someone with vision, enthusiasm, and a drive to be a unifying factor for freedom over the draconian political hitmen of yesterday. 

Looking forward to what is next.
    Yes - maybe too much experimentation and not enough thoughts about game mechanics, but keep in mind Musk blew up 9 rockets before the first one made it. 

Compared to that, taking risks with checkmarks is nothing! 

Someone analyzed it well - you can't charge the content creators, you need to pay them! 

You can't charge the normal folks, they will go elsewhere where it's free, maybe Tik Tok. 

The only people willing to pay $8 - it's a no-brainer for scammers who stand to make way more than the 8 bucks they invested with their fake Twitter personality, selling whatever snake oil to the unsuspecting public. 

In hindsight these game mechanics are obvious, but I can say I definitely didn't predict that beforehand. I bought into the "well rich and famous people won't mind paying $8" idea. Not realizing that Twitter has more to lose than these personalities, should they leave Twitter, and also that they're busy people who might not have the time or attention span to fiddle with their credit card to get a checkmark on Twitter - they probably have about 1,000 more pressing issues to deal with. Except for Elon, since he's a Twitter troll who has the most followers of anyone... 
    watto_cobra