Good movies?

mggmgg
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a litle bit of a break from school coming up at the end of this week and was wondering if anyone had any good movie suggestions. I havent seen much and am up for pretty much anything. Suggestions?

-MGG

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    enaena Posts: 667member
    "Burnt by the Sun"

(if you do foreign films)
  • Reply 2 of 18
    i just watched "spirited away" with my kids and i was totally blown away.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Office Space if you want a good laugh.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    The Third Man... movie bliss.

My buddies and I have been on a Glengarry Glen Ross kick lately.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Selena

Out of Sight

U-Turn

Money Train

Jack

Anaconda

The Cell

The Wedding Planner

Angel Eyes

Enough

Maid in Manhattan

Just put the sound on mute and enjoy the visuals...

• Reply 6 of 18
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Office Space if you want a good laugh.

Ditto,

I went to a theatre that was filled to the brim with children. I've never seen so many children simply awestruck & silent.!

If you get a chance, you should hire out an earlier anima of his called " Porko Rosso " aka The Red Pig.

It's a great movie about a once handsome WW1 flying ace who has been cursed by a witch & turned into a Pig.

He makes a living fighting the air Pirates who dominate the adriatic coasts of Italy.

Its a marvel to behold and some of the scenes are truly uplifiting to to spirit. Fun too !
  • Reply 7 of 18
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    Old or new movies? When I think of all the good movies that came out before I was even born, well, it will take a while to catch up.

I have found some re-releases of Hitchcock's early movies. The story lines are great, although the special effects are laughable (but we are talking 1930s here).

Among my personal favorites: Casa Blanca, Citizen Kane, Notorious, and North by Northwest.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Tom Tykwer's

Heaven(saw this last night, its ausome)

Run Lola Run(My favorite movie)

The Princess and the Warrior(really good too)

Also,

25th Hour which i think is still in theaters was the most amazing movie I have seen in a long time. Its really good. See it.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I hear 'The Sound of Music' is a classic.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Breaking the Waves

The Celebration
  • Reply 11 of 18
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    If it's still playing, try and catch Bowling for Columbine.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    I forgot to mention Donnie Darko.

If you're looking for something a little different to get your brain cells working, the story and cast are excellent, plus it's got a great soundtrack.

Even the website is cool.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    mggmgg Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fangorn

Old or new movies? When I think of all the good movies that came out before I was even born, well, it will take a while to catch up.

I have found some re-releases of Hitchcock's early movies. The story lines are great, although the special effects are laughable (but we are talking 1930s here).

Among my personal favorites: Casa Blanca, Citizen Kane, Notorious, and North by Northwest.

Any movies old or new. I have a great list now. Thanx everyone.

-MGG
  • Reply 14 of 18
    ariari Posts: 126member
    I recently saw "Nowhere in Africa" and it was extremely good. It won "Best Foreign Picture." It is in German, however, so if you are opposed to subtitles, you may wish to steer clear.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    mggmgg Posts: 124member
    Thanks everyone. I didn't get a chance to see anything this weekend, bu i'll save the list for next.

-MGG
  • Reply 16 of 18
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I saw Dark City this weekend. Somehow this movie slipped under the radar when it came out. Maybe because it was good and different?
  • Reply 17 of 18
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i just saw Holes this weekend. i was pleasently surprised. i hadn't read the book so didn't know what to expect, the TV spots were nothing like the movie.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I saw Dark City this weekend. Somehow this movie slipped under the radar when it came out. Maybe because it was good and different?

i saw that last weekend, not bad

The Badge

Bandits

we're on a billy bob kick

Spirited Away (amazing and surreal) must buy