Apple unveils trailer for Will Smith movie 'Emancipation'

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Ahead of its December theatrical and streaming premiere, an almost three-minute trailer for "Emancipation" has been released by Apple TV+.

"Emancipation" -- written by Bill Collage and directed by Antoine Fuqua -- stars Smith as a man who escapes from slavery in the 1800s.

Apple calls it a "triumphant story" of Peter (Smith) who has to rely "on his wits, unwavering faith and deep love for his family to evade cold-blooded hunters and the unforgiving swamps of Louisiana on his quest for freedom."

"Emancipation" is seen as Apple's next Oscar contender, following "CODA", but it has had a troubled production. COVID halted filming, then producers moved shooting away from Georgia over the state's voting laws, and then it was the subject of a sexual harassment lawsuit.

Finally, star Will Smith hit Chris Rock at the Academy Awards and that appeared to mean Apple TV+ would delay release. The film industry believed Apple would want to put some distance between the film and the Oscars event, although director Antoine Fuqua says this was never the case.

"Emancipation" will be released in theatres on December 2, 2022, before then streaming on Apple TV+ from December 9.

Read on AppleInsider
ronn

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Still reminds me about Will Smith smacks Chris Rock!
    bloggerblogravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 18
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Sounds like they’re really trying to punch up the PR.  

I’ll be here all week…
    Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Someone needs to bitch slap Tim. What is he thinking?
    bloggerblog
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Won't bother watching this one.  I'm on a Will Smith Boycott.
    robin huberbloggerblogravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Won't bother watching this one.  I'm on a Will Smith Boycott.
    Such a punk. The whole family is spoiled rotten. 
    bloggerblogravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    jibjib Posts: 56member
    I will watch it. I don't boycott movies for past indiscretions of artists.  And I like Will Smith's work.
    In any event this was made prior to the academy awards, and the movie should not be penalized.
    ronnkurai_kageCluntBaby92ravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Meh, don’t care. He made a mistake. In the grand scheme of stupid things celebrities have done, it’s way down the list. I’ll still watch it.

Now when someone makes racist or anti-Semitic comments, then they deserve cancelling. That exposes their true character more than losing your temper for a moment.
    kurai_kagemuthuk_vanalingamravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    The incident is so yesterday and the story is so important and compelling. And the buzz around the movie is great. Watching without any reservations.
    kurai_kageCluntBaby92watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    The guy was just defending his wife.  Wouldn’t you do it in his circumstance? I am not condoning violence but to me, this a simple issue between three individuals that can be handled in civil court since charges were not pressed.  I hate cancel culture because everyone had made mistakes and technically everyone can be cancelled.  I believe that truly heinous crimes or blatant disregard for someone’s race should call for cancellation.
    muthuk_vanalingamjibwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    davdav Posts: 115member
    This was no cause to "defend his wife" with violence.  Makes me wonder if Will suffers from abuse.
    sbdudewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 255member
    Meh, don’t care. He made a mistake. In the grand scheme of stupid things celebrities have done, it’s way down the list. I’ll still watch it.

Now when someone makes racist or anti-Semitic comments, then they deserve cancelling. That exposes their true character more than losing your temper for a moment.

Right. Physical violence is somehow forgivable, but words are forever. Someone forgot about the old sticks and stones maxim.
    bloggerbloggrandact73appleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    It’s not a mistake, he yelled at Chris, got up, walked all the way down the stage, just to slap someone way less successful than him. Will ruined Will for many. Not cool. Nor did he sincerely apologize or make it up to Chris. Will is whipped. And frankly I’m disappointed that Apple is continuing to support him
  • Reply 13 of 18
    It's possible to both sympathize with Will Smith's possible emotional abuse at the hands of his wife AND criticize his action against Rock at the same time.  There need be no choosing sides.
    bloggerblogjibmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18
    sbdude said:

Right. Physical violence is somehow forgivable, but words are forever. Someone forgot about the old sticks and stones maxim.
    Not what I said. People can lose their cool in an instant and make a mistake (like slapping someone). But being a racist is a deeply rooted part of your character, and not a “mistake” or “accident”.
    ronnmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Watch the movie or don’t watch the movie. Why do so many of you keyboard warriors think anybody else gives a shit which choice you made or why? 

It looks good. It goes into the cue. I’ll get around to it whenever I get around to it. 
    CluntBaby92watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Japhey said:
    Why do so many of you keyboard warriors think anybody else gives a shit which choice you made or why? 

It looks good. It goes into the cue. I’ll get around to it whenever I get around to it. 
    Sorry — why do you think we give a shit which choice you made?
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 17 of 18
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Japhey said:
    Why do so many of you keyboard warriors think anybody else gives a shit which choice you made or why? 
    Are you not clear as to the purpose of these forums? 
    They exist for people to express their opinions on stories and news articles. 
    The irony of course is that you’re using this forum to express your opinion that no one cares about other people’s opinion on a forum that was set up specifically so we could share our opinions, and that we all came to, for the express purpose of doing so.
    So you need to ask yourself why you are here on an opinion forum  if you, and you can only speak for yourself, don’t care about other people’s opinions.
    muthuk_vanalingamronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 18
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    It’s not a mistake, he yelled at Chris, got up, walked all the way down the stage, just to slap someone way less successful than him. Will ruined Will for many. Not cool. Nor did he sincerely apologize or make it up to Chris. Will is whipped. And frankly I’m disappointed that Apple is continuing to support him
    It's even a little more than that.

He laughed at the joke, and it was just a joke. Some can argue whether or not in was in good taste or not, but a lot of attendees have endured far worse and didn't do drama.

But after Smith-Pinkett laughed, his wife rolled her eyes, and that was his "Sic 'em" trigger. THEN he "felt" obligated to "defend his wife's honor". My guess is she was as pissed at Will, if not more so than at Rock. She's demeaned him many times in public and for whatever reason, he just takes it. But being her little pit bull was way out of line.

I'm not much of a Will Smith fan and even less so of Will Smith-Pinkett so won't be watching this. But it doesn't bother me at all that someone else will, that's the nature of choice. At least there's a place where choices can be discussed without acrimony. Maybe one day the mention of him or his wife, or anything related won't automatically call up that scene. Until then I'll pass. 
    bloggerblog