iCloud class action settlement payout won't even buy a cup of coffee

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2022
Users of Apple's iCloud in the U.S. are starting to receive notifications they are getting paid from Apple's $14.8 million class-action lawsuit settlement, but that payment will be less than a dollar for most users.

Inside an Apple data center.
Inside an Apple data center.

In March 2022, Apple agreed to settle a class-action lawsuit over the storage of iCloud user data on non-Apple servers. The payments for that settlement are just starting to be processed, with users receiving notifications of how much they will receive.

However, while the settlement has Apple paying out $14.8 million, given the number of iCloud users the settlement applies to, it shouldn't be surprising that the amount each will receive will be extremely low.

The payout applies to anyone who purchased an iCloud subscription between September 16, 2015 and January 31, 2016. Users also didn't need to do anything to join the class represented in the settlement.

Editorial team members of AppleInsider who had paid iCloud subscriptions for the entire period the settlement applies to have been notified their payout will be just $0.49.

For reference, $0.49 equates to less than two weeks of the lowest iCloud+ tier at $0.99, fewer than five days under the $2.99/month 200GB tier, or under two days worth of service for the $9.99 2TB version.

There can be variations in how much will be paid out to users, with the duration of subscription, capacity options, number of accounts paid for, and other factors determining each payout.

The 2019 complaint alleged that Apple had breached its iCloud server terms and conditions by storing user data on servers run by Amazon, Google, and Microsoft, rather than its own. Apple denied it breached its promise that iCloud data is "stored by Apple," but still agreed to pay the settlement amount.

The pitifully low amounts being paid out could be compared to July's compensation offer from Tim Hortons to end lawsuits over geolocation data collection. Under that offer, customers would receive free coffee and doughnuts.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    ClassicGeekClassicGeek Posts: 25unconfirmed, member
    Could have been even smaller if the attorneys had gotten their requested 33% of the settlement for fees. Apple objected and got the court to lower it to 25%. 
    watto_cobrachadbagstrongy
  • Reply 2 of 18
    I got 16¢.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    This is why no one smart ever spends any time pursuing most class action claims.  Only the initial claimant and the lawyers make any money.   You are wasting your time getting them richer.
    ravnorodomwilliamlondondewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    If it’s $1 that’s a month of 50 Gig iCloud ,not bad
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    That’s a worse deal than Kramer got.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I get notices of class actions occasionally on companies in my investment accounts. My financial advisor always tells me to ignore them because they’re not worth the effort to respond. Years ago there was a class action against Apple over OS 9. Know what I got? An install disc of the last version of OS 9. 
    edited November 2022 ravnorodomdewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    This is why I don’t bother with class action lawsuits. The lion’s share goes to the lawyers, and the plaintiffs, the supposed victims in the suit, get crumbs, or less. 
    ravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    lkrupp said:
    I get notices of class actions occasionally on companies in my investment accounts. My financial advisor always tells me to ignore them because they’re not worth the effort to respond. Years ago there was a class action against Apple over OS 9. Know what I got? An install disc of the last version of OS 9. 
    Was that a floppy, or a CD?  :D 

Onm second thought: If His Steveness‘ sandals are up for auction including a book that is mentioning him - well, maybe a mint, shrinkwarpped OS9 would be worth…. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD8J7Y-8FTE
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    kmareikmarei Posts: 179member
    Class action lawsuits usually only benefit lawyers, and it makes no difference which side wins or loses, lawyers benefit .
    Applejacswilliamlondonravnorodomsphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    lkrupp said:
    Classic! :wink:
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Class action lawsuits need new legal regulations where lawyers are paid the same as claimants. These massive penalties against companies do nothing but raise costs for everyone, so nobody wins in the end.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    JP234 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Your financial advisor must be very wealthy. Or think you are. I file for every single penny. And it's paid off. I got $207 from Honda for a car I haven't owned for 9 years. I got $397.00 from a Facebook settlement for an account I deactivated 4 years ago. And my wife got another $397. If that's not worth your effort, I envy you!
    Yeah, well, I bet those weren’t investor lawsuits, probably owner lawsuits. I got the $397 Facebook user settlement only because I live in Illinois, not because I owned Facebook stock.
    edited November 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 18
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    JP234 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Your financial advisor must be very wealthy. Or think you are. I file for every single penny. And it's paid off. I got $207 from Honda for a car I haven't owned for 9 years. I got $397.00 from a Facebook settlement for an account I deactivated 4 years ago. And my wife got another $397. If that's not worth your effort, I envy you!
    I’ve gotten a few really nice payouts but most are in the single or low double digit dollar range.  I cash all the checks.  

My issue is that some of these you have to keep er-applying as time goes on or you get dropped.  I applied for one against a travel scammer that was supposed to be worth a couple hundred.  In the end I gut $0 as I missed a deadline of some sort, despite having applying using my special code and jumping through all the hoops.  

JP234
  • Reply 14 of 18
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    So is this what this mysterious “Store Credit” of $0.98 is on my latest iCloud storage bill?
  • Reply 15 of 18
    I get one check today for 0.16 cents I don’t even know about this shit, can I sue them back? I didn’t ask the to represent me. We have to file a class action against them.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    I'm absolutely disgusted I've been paying for 2tb for 9.99 a month for YEARs and YEARS and I got a check for 16 friggin cents 
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    erncasglo said:
    I get one check today for 0.16 cents I don’t even know about this shit, can I sue them back? I didn’t ask the to represent me. We have to file a class action against them.
    This is the class-action payout. If you wanted to sue on your own, you needed to opt out about a year and a half ago.
    edited February 2023