iOS 16.2 beta gets 'Rapid Security Response' update

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2022
Late on Wednesday afternoon, Apple issued a small "Rapid Security Update" to Tuesday's iOS 16.2 beta -- but what exactly it entails isn't known.

New beta of iOS 16.2
New beta of iOS 16.2

There's not yet much known about the updates which is obviously a critical security fix of some sort. The update is very small, weighing in at less than 100 MB.

There are some peculiar details about it. It is removable by the user. Additionally, it does not appear folded into new downloads of the iOS 16.2 beta 3 that was made available on Tuesday afternoon.

What is known, is that this is clearly the first visible deployment of the new feature that has seperated of urgent security updates from large iOS updates.

The latest batch of operating systems, including iPadOS 16 and macOS Ventura have a new feature called "Rapid Security Response." That new feature decouples security patches from software updates so the OS will protect users faster than waiting for a point or sub-point release.

In iOS 16 the setting is found in Settings > General > Software Update > Automatic Updates. A toggle called "Install Security Responses & System Files" says that patches for security bugs and system files will be automatically installed.

The toggle is found in the same place within System Settings on macOS Ventura as it is in iPadOS now that Apple has redesigned the older System Preferences app to be similar to iOS Settings.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Perhaps a test of the Rapid Security Response system? It is Beta Software after all.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I would like to see a new iOS feature that sends out a "silent SOS" if I use a certain alternate PIN or certain alternate fingerprint to unlock my device. It should still unlock the device, but send an emergency text or email to selected people that could indicate I am under duress.

I would also like to see a "silent zeroize" alternate fingerprint and PIN that would erase all my data if I use that PIN or fingerprint. And this feature is the reason I prefer TouchID to FaceID - you can't carry a second face with you, but you have about 9 extra fingerprints.
    davgregwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    I would like to see a new iOS feature that sends out a "silent SOS" if I use a certain alternate PIN or certain alternate fingerprint to unlock my device. It should still unlock the device, but send an emergency text or email to selected people that could indicate I am under duress.

I would also like to see a "silent zeroize" alternate fingerprint and PIN that would erase all my data if I use that PIN or fingerprint. And this feature is the reason I prefer TouchID to FaceID - you can't carry a second face with you, but you have about 9 extra fingerprints.
    This sounds like a reasonable ask. Some home security systems already have the silent SOS pin feature you’re describing. 

The only limitation I see with these special triggers is whether someone in the midst of a situation requiring their use would remain calm enough to initiate the process. Hopefully, users would choose a triggering mechanism that is simple, ingrained, and compatible with their instinctual reaction under very stressful situations. 
    davgregwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10

The alternate PIN seems like a good idea, with the exception that having two numbers that will unlock the device effectively halves the security of your device. 

If the alternate finger thing weren’t moot already, I’d say it’s not a great idea, due to the not-insignificant probability of inadvertently touching the fingerprint reader with the alternate finger and triggering a distress call or erasing the device. It would be an unhappy event to go fumbling for your phone from between the seat cushions only to retrieve a factory-reset device. 
    DAalsethmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    "feature that has seperated of urgent security updates"

feature that has separated of urgent security updates

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    An alternate pin. 

Well with the longer secure pin I expect the reduction wouldn’t be significant in the real world though. Especially were the “ten tries and the data is erased.
    ” feature be enabled. 

Erase data after 10 failed passcodes

Set iPhone to erase all information, media, and personal settings after 10 consecutive failed passcode attempts.

1. Go to Settings then do one of the following:

• On an iPhone with Face ID: Tap Face ID & Passcode.

• On an iPhone with a Home button: Tap Touch ID & Passcode.

2. Scroll to the bottom and turn on Erase Data.”

edited November 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    AppleZulu said:

The alternate PIN seems like a good idea, with the exception that having two numbers that will unlock the device effectively halves the security of your device. 
    Having a second PIN that unlocks your device doesn't "halve the security of the device." For a four digit PIN, which is 10,000 possible PINs, it reduces your security from 99.99% secure to 99.98% secure. That's not cutting security in half, even though it doubles the chance of a lucky guess. Your device is still 99.98% secure with two valid PINs. I'm not going to continue to argue this, as most people should see my point.

If you buy two lottery tickets, it may double your chance of winning, but it doesn't reduce your chance of being poor by 50%.
    muthuk_vanalingamracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10

Have you tried hitting/clicking your power button on the side of your phone five times fast, six time if you phone hasn’t already in standby mode?! Try that and see what happens… it’s a feature of iOS for a while. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10

I seriously doubt that Apple would implement a feature that seems purpose built for destroying evidence.  At least, I suspect that's the way LEO would view it.  Hell, I know that's how they would view it, any other completely valid use cases would be "excuses".
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    I seriously doubt that Apple would implement a feature that seems purpose built for destroying evidence.  At least, I suspect that's the way LEO would view it.  Hell, I know that's how they would view it, any other completely valid use cases would be "excuses".
    Apple already allows a user to remotely wipe the phone or choose to allow it to auto-wipe on 10 wrong passcode attempts. Is that destroying evidence? Because some miscreant can use that to destroy evidence of criminal activity should nobody be allowed to do this to protect their personal data when their phone is lost or stolen?

I live in a larger urban area where theft of a phone or tablet is a weekly if not daily occurrence. Having to get to another device to wipe something stolen moments ago give thieves and robbers a head start. So maybe a 3 sec press of a Vol and Sleep button wiping the phone then at there might not be a bad thing. Everyone I know has Control Center accessible from their locked phone. In a second a thief or robber has the phone in AirPlane mode.

Of course law enforcement already sees this as a bad thing. Remember a lot of places have bought equipment to intercept calls and open phones without permission or warrant and will continue to do so, often just for fishing, until there is federal or at least state law prohibiting warrantless digital searches. No, Apple won't give us that install Self Destruct button.