VMware Fusion 13 adds Windows 11 virtualization for Apple Silicon Macs

Posted:
in General Discussion
Macs using VMware Fusion 13 can now run the ARM version of Windows 11 on Apple Silicon in a virtual machine that has support for OpenGL 4.3.

Run Windows on Apple Silicon Macs
Run Windows on Apple Silicon Macs

VMware Fusion 13 is now available to purchase and can run on both Intel and Macs with Apple Silicon. It ships via a universal DMG, so deployment is simple.

It is possible to run Windows 11 on Apple Silicon thanks to a new implementation of a virtual TPM. It is only the ARM version, but the Windows 11 ARM has a built-in emulator for win32 and x64 apps.

Intel machines can support running DirectX 11 and OpenGL 4.3, as well as running eGPUs. Apple Silicon models are limited to OpenGL 4.3.

There are two versions of VMware Fusion 13 -- Player and Pro. The Player version has fewer features and costs less than the Pro version.

VMware Fusion Pro can create encrypted virtual machines, customize virtual networks, connect to vSphere/ESXi server, create linked clones, create full clones, and use remote vSphere Host Power Control. VMware Fusion Player lacks those features, but can still create new virtual machines and use 3D graphics.

Buy VMware Fusion 13 from the VMware store. VMware Fusion Player starts at $149 for a new purchase and $79 for the upgrade. VMware Fusion 13 Pro is $199, or $99 for the upgrade.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Still no macOS virtualization on Windows or Linux hosts regardless if old Intel or ARM. Go figure. So why would one want to run Windows on macOS? That must be very interesting reason if everything is there on Mac's and supposedly better.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 16
    I’m one of those people that do. One of the reasons is that demo environments need to be portable or a dev needs to spin up a local environment to test an application. In larger corporations, they don’t want you to attach those to a hypervisor because then you have to apply group policies which can be burdensome. 

I love the new Apple Silicon chips but I’m bummed that it cannot run x86 Windows which are the ones I have to work with. So, I have to stick with the Intel version of the Mac until my job changes where I won’t need it or Apple and Microsoft work something out. 
    zigzaglens
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Still no macOS virtualization on Windows or Linux hosts regardless if old Intel or ARM. Go figure. So why would one want to run Windows on macOS? That must be very interesting reason if everything is there on Mac's and supposedly better.
    I assume you are simply trolling but no one says that macOS has everything you ever need and that it is all better than Windows. The fact that we have had virtualization for decades makes that pretty obvious.
    roundaboutnowdewmezigzaglensmuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Seems worth mentioning:

Although it's not obvious, Fusion 13, like Fusion 12, is free for personal use.

Once you download and install, there is a license prompt that will take you to the appropriate web page to sign up for a key.
    edited November 2022 dewmezigzaglens
  • Reply 5 of 16
    rcomeau said:
    I assume you are simply trolling but no one says that macOS has everything you ever need and that it is all better than Windows. The fact that we have had virtualization for decades makes that pretty obvious.
    As I said only as host - macOS is not a client and never was. Before accusing of trolling maybe you should study a bit more difference and virtualization subjects. Otherwise, you are nobody in IT especially in virtualization space where banks use it extensively. I am chief architect at one of NYC banks.

And as far as better, yes it was once when Jobs lived. I was using virtualization products then on Mac OSX and not only Fusion or Parallels. Still only host system not capable to be client. Hence, nobody uses it in finance. Everybody uses virtual desktops with Windows and servers on Linux or Windows.

Where did you see macOS in commercial large scale use?

Still believe that macOS is better? Think twice.

And as far as "better", have you tried Windows 11 Professional or you just another village fool who judges world after seeing only his own yard? I literally tried most systems and far more than most forum posters probably over last 30 years in IT. Windows 11 Professional may easily displace macOS now. In fact, I still support some macs, but Windows 11 starts really being step ahead of macOS. Also crowd around Apple is what Microsoft was 10-15 years and before. Microsoft is far more modest and supportive than Apple as it used to be.

Seriously, your judgement  of "better" seems to be very impaired.  obviously, you lack of experience.
    edited November 2022 williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 16
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    rcomeau said:
    As I said only as host - macOS is not a client and never was. Before accusing of trolling maybe you should study a bit more difference and virtualization subjects. Otherwise, you are nobody in IT especially in virtualization space where banks use it extensively. I am chief architect at one of NYC banks.

And as far as better, yes it was once when Jobs lived. I was using virtualization products then on Mac OSX and not only Fusion or Parallels. Still only host system not capable to be client. Hence, nobody uses it in finance. Everybody uses virtual desktops with Windows and servers on Linux or Windows.

And as far as "better", have you tried Windows 11 Professional or you just another village fool who judges world after seeing only his own yard? I literally tried most systems and far more than most forum posters probably over last 30 years in IT. Windows 11 Professional may easily displace macOS now. In fact, I still support some macs, but Windows 11 starts really being step ahead of macOS. Also crowd around Apple is what Microsoft was 10-15 years and before. Microsoft is far more modest and supportive than Apple as it used to be.

Seriously, your judgement  of "better" seems to be very impaired.  obviously, you lack of experience.
    Okay, so you are a troll, a dyed in the wool Jobs is dead and Apple is no longer any good troll. Thanks for pointed that out. And by the way, what you doing in an Apple centric blog except to troll for the good old days? Windows FTW!
    edited November 2022 williamlondonStrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Still no macOS virtualization on Windows or Linux hosts regardless if old Intel or ARM. Go figure.
    Sure there is. Install Windows or Linux on your Mac, install VMware Workstation on it, then set up a macOS VM. Works fine, at least on Intel machines.
    maciekskontakt said:
    As I said only as host - macOS is not a client and never was. ... Otherwise, you are nobody in IT especially in virtualization space where banks use it extensively. I am chief architect at one of NYC banks.

... I was using virtualization products then on Mac OSX and not only Fusion or Parallels. Still only host system not capable to be client.
    That's a funny misuse of terminology for someone who claims to be so deep in IT. The proper term is guest, not client. And as I mentioned above, VMware virtualization products have historically been perfectly happy to run macOS guests, as long as it's on Apple-branded hardware. Admittedly, I haven't tried this myself since somewhere in the Workstation 12s, so it may have been removed.

As for my credentials, I have been network lead, infrastructure lead, enterprise architecture lead, enterprise reliability lead, and a few other positions at various companies. Now focusing more on real engineering, which has been a nice change of pace. Every company I've worked or consulted for in the last 15 years has offered employees a choice of workstation, including Macs. That includes several financial companies.
    rrabuchadbagmwhitewilliamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 16
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    As I said only as host - macOS is not a client and never was.

Not sure what you are saying here but macOS has happily been a client or guest on VMWare Fusion for many versions.   I have several running myself.  It may be that the host has to be in a Mac. I’ve not tried it as I only run on Macs.  
    williamlondonStrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 16
    theLedger said:
    I love the new Apple Silicon chips but I’m bummed that it cannot run x86 Windows which are the ones I have to work with. So, I have to stick with the Intel version of the Mac until my job changes where I won’t need it or Apple and Microsoft work something out. 
    You want emulation not virtualisation.  I remember running "virtual pc" back on powerpc macs and it was always faster than native intel.  M1/M2 should be the same.  This article is a couple of years old now, with some searching you should be able to find something more up to date that performs better than this:
    https://khronokernel.github.io/apple/silicon/2021/01/17/QEMU-AS.html
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Very good reason: software for accessibility (and testing for accessibility) like NVDA, JAWS, PAC 2021, AxesPDF etc. only run on Windows…
    williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Please someone point out that you can run most Windows x64 and x86 applications under Windows 11 ARM ( using the inbuilt emulator) and thus inside the Fusion VM. I gather the performance is pretty respectable. 
    edited November 2022
  • Reply 12 of 16
    loopless said:
    Please someone point out that you can run most Windows x64 and x86 applications under Windows 11 ARM ( using the inbuilt emulator) and thus inside the Fusion VM. I gather the performance is pretty respectable. 
    But not recent (2020 and later) Adobe software, it does check and will not install, emulator or not… :-(
  • Reply 13 of 16
    "Windows 11 ARM has a built-in emulator for win32 and x64 apps"

32 bit app support supporting customer investments in licenses and workflows, and upgrades on merit, hmmm...
  • Reply 14 of 16
    There never will be macOS is only licensed for use on Apple hardware whether running directly on the hardware or under virtualisation.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 15 of 16
    rcomeau said:

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3452847/ibm-mac-users-are-happier-and-more-productive.html

If 200,000 macs deployed at IBM supported by a team of just 7 people is not large scale deployment I don't know what is.

If you are a chief architect then you lack judgement for suggesting software be used in violation of its license agreement.

I doubt you are as you'd be using Enterprise SKUs of Windows not 'Pro' if you were.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 16 of 16
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    The Windows 11 support in VMware Fusion 13 for M1/M2 Macs works but is rather disappointing because it lacks support for VMWare Tools. Without VMWare Tools simple things like support for high resolution layouts and WiFi support are sorely missing or substandard. Hopefully this will be remedied because having a VGA resolution layout on a 4K or 5K monitor is not a pleasant experience.

If you need to use VMWare in a pinch to run a Windows-only application on an M1/M2 Mac I suppose it is okay. I could not begin to imagine using the full Visual Studio on VMWare on an M1/Mac while I routinely use it in VMWare on an Intel Mac. In my opinion you’d have much better experience using Remote Desktop on your M1/M2 Mac to connect to a physical PC with Windows Pro. When you’re on a LAN the performance of Remote Desktop as a client is remarkable compared to even the best VNC style remote access clients. 
    edited November 2022 FileMakerFeller