Rackmount (1U) FireWire/USB Hub?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, I've determined that I really want a rackmounted (1U) USB/FireWire Hub. I've also come to accept that this does not currently exist. Could anyone recommend a place to get a rackmounted enclosure that I could cut into to hack this thing together?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by M3D Jack

Ok, I've determined that I really want a rackmounted (1U) USB/FireWire Hub. I've also come to accept that this does not currently exist. Could anyone recommend a place to get a rackmounted enclosure that I could cut into to hack this thing together?

why would you want something so huge?

when there are much smaller things of the same type avaliable?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Because I want one with a lot of ports on the front and back to fit into my rack nicely
  • Reply 3 of 4
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Did I hear 'rack'?

I didn't found anything about rackmounted USB hubs.. sorry.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    L-com and B&H are usually good places to find rack-mount parts & pieces.

I'm not clear exactly on how you're going to wire this thing, but if I was going to roll my own I'd probably start with one of these and populate it with a bunch of these and these .

If you're looking for a case type 1U thingy with a power supply, Granite Digital sells one for 99 bucks (scroll down a bit). I'm sure with a handful of FW/USB couplers and some 'creative' dremel skills you'll have a nice little box.