Tesla museum exhibit teases Apple Music support

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
A Tesla used as a museum exhibit is seemingly hinting that Apple Music support for the built-in infotainment system could finally be on the way.

Tesla's infotainment screen
Tesla's infotainment screen

A Tesla Model S Long Range is part of an exhibit for the car company at the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles. While the exhibit collects together vehicles from the company's history and explores its technology, the interface of one vehicle may be of interest to Apple users.

A photograph from the inside of one Tesla vehicle by ABetterTheater.com founder Aaron Cash posted to Twitter shows the Apple Music icon as part of the main interface. A second image shows a QR code that, when scanned, takes users to activate.apple.com, used to link an Apple Music account with certain devices.

The exhibit in question is set to allow visitors to sit inside and try out its features, Cash said, and that it was a demonstration vehicle rather than a full vehicle. Cash adds that it was running modified firmware, rather than a public release version.

The appearance at the exhibit may signify Apple Music could still be on the cards in a future update, but there's no guarantee it will actually happen.

While a desired feature for a future Tesla update, Apple Music support has previously been teased but not added. In December 2020, a placeholder music source titled "Apple" was thought to mean Apple Music support was on the way, but the code references were pulled a few months later, according to TeslaNorth.

Tired of waiting, one developer released the Tesla Android Project in May, giving a way for frustrated users to add CarPlay, by streaming an interactive video feed from a nearby Raspberry Pi over Wi-Fi to the onboard browser.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I have low interest in Apple Music. However, I will not even consider a new car without Wireless CarPlay. I was actually just about to purchase such a car but they told me that they couldn’t even order one even though the 2023 Civic Type-R went on sale October 28. I’m guessing that it probably has something to do with the chip shortage and they probably don’t want to waste chips on low volume vehicles. That’s okay, I can wait.
    Anilu_777badmonk
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I have low interest in Apple Music. However, I will not even consider a new car without Wireless CarPlay. I was actually just about to purchase such a car but they told me that they couldn’t even order one even though the 2023 Civic Type-R went on sale October 28. I’m guessing that it probably has something to do with the chip shortage and they probably don’t want to waste chips on low volume vehicles. That’s okay, I can wait.
    Yay for you. 
    Japhey
  • Reply 3 of 9
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    I've driven a Model Y for 2 years and I really wish it had CarPlay. The Tesla Nav software is very good and in many ways better than Apple Maps, and while I have a Spotify subscription the spotify interface in Tesla's sucks and CarPlay's text messaging functionality is still better than Tesla's, too. It seems that Elon has a thing against Apple, Though so unfortunately I don't think it will ever happen.
    lolliver
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Well looks like no Tesla (or any car that doesn’t support CarPlay). I won’t waste my time or money on a vehicle that doesn’t do what I want it to. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Well looks like no Tesla (or any car that doesn’t support CarPlay). I won’t waste my time or money on a vehicle that doesn’t do what I want it to. 
  • Reply 6 of 9
    MplsP said:
    I've driven a Model Y for 2 years and I really wish it had CarPlay. The Tesla Nav software is very good and in many ways better than Apple Maps, and while I have a Spotify subscription the spotify interface in Tesla's sucks and CarPlay's text messaging functionality is still better than Tesla's, too. It seems that Elon has a thing against Apple...
    May I add that this website has hundreds of people arguing that Apple should allow everyone to install whatever they want on iOS, but I haven't seen a single one of them calling for Tesla to let everyone install CarPlay on Tesla's OS. I've never seen them advocate for fairness, they just advocate against Apple.

But as for your comment about the poor Spotify interface on a Tesla, my guess is that it's probably limited in functionality to prevent Spotify or Tesla from being sued by drivers who get into accidents caused by looking too much at the Spotify app on the screen.
    edited November 2022 ravnorodom
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Talking about letting in someone's else service into their OS, I still can't stand how Apple won't let consumer directly purchasing digital books from Kindle app. I ditched Apple Book long ago because the price is higher plus limited selection. At the end, Amazon Kindle still wins no matter how hard Apple tries.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    Model X and 3 owner here. Apple Music would be great, as would a dedicated AppleTV+ client (the X has a dedicated rear seat screen). But I have not the slightest desire for CarPlay. Tesla’s own software is much more tightly integrated to the vehicle and the charging infrastructure to be useful, in fact it would just get in the way. Tesla’s software can actually (optionally) control the vehicle (driving). 
  • Reply 9 of 9
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,118member
    dcgoo said:
    Model X and 3 owner here. Apple Music would be great, as would a dedicated AppleTV+ client (the X has a dedicated rear seat screen). But I have not the slightest desire for CarPlay. Tesla’s own software is much more tightly integrated to the vehicle and the charging infrastructure to be useful, in fact it would just get in the way. Tesla’s software can actually (optionally) control the vehicle (driving). 
    And with all the OTA software "recalls" it can also (optionally) fail to light the taillights, crush your hands in the windows,  and etc.  ;)
    MplsP said:
    I've driven a Model Y for 2 years and I really wish it had CarPlay. The Tesla Nav software is very good and in many ways better than Apple Maps, and while I have a Spotify subscription the spotify interface in Tesla's sucks and CarPlay's text messaging functionality is still better than Tesla's, too. It seems that Elon has a thing against Apple...
    In many ways Tesla emulates Apple, especially when it comes to repair policies, parts control, profit margins, and in this case 100% control of the software ecosystem.