Sabrent's new Rocket Nano SSD is smaller than a credit card

Posted:
in General Discussion
Sabrent has announced a redesigned version of its tiny Rocket Nano portable SSD with up to 4TB capacity and speeds ideal for 8K video recording.

Sabrent Rocket Nano, version two
Sabrent Rocket Nano, version two

Crafted from a high-grade aluminum alloy, the external solid-state drive is just 2.85-inches in length, 1.3-inches in width, and 0.6-inches in height. The device also weighs 1.75 ounces.

The USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 interface supports data transfer speeds of over 1,500 MB/s for maximum speeds when handling large data transfers. That speed allows it to capture 8K video recordings and other high bitrate content without many slowdowns.

Version two of the Rocket drive is smaller than a credit card
Version two of the Rocket drive is smaller than a credit card

The new Rocket Nano comes with a removable silicone sleeve to offer protection against drops and debris. The package contains a USB-C to USB-C cable and a USB-C to USB-A cable for convenience.

Sabrent Rocket Nano - Pricing & Availability

The new Rocket Nano is available now in three storage options: a 1TB drive for $119.99, a mid-tier 2TB drive, and a large 4TB drive for $499.99.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Why aren't these SSD's using Thunderbolt?  Given the USB4 spec includes Thunderbolt as well, it's inexcusable nowadays to not include it.
    rob53Fred257FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Umm...the title only works if you ignore thickness and therefore volume.  Good luck fitting this SSD in your wallet.  :smile: 
    edited November 2022 rob53CluntBaby92FileMakerFellerfred1StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    1500 MB/s read and write or just read? This speed matches TB speed on an entry-level interface. I'd like to see independent tests actually show this speed on a Mac. PC tests don't count with specialized I/O boards. 
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    rob53 said:
    1500 MB/s read and write or just read? This speed matches TB speed on an entry-level interface. I'd like to see independent tests actually show this speed on a Mac. PC tests don't count with specialized I/O boards. 
    yup. will be a < 1,000MB/s (10Gbps) drive on all Macs, since USB 3.2 Gen2x2 isn’t in any Apple devices. Not a bad price for what it is, sounds like a PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD inside. Appleinsider shouldn’t just post a press release as a news item without even giving it the slightest bit of Apple context though (ie ignore the Gen2x2 claims.)
    mikeybabeschadbagFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Give me a TB version and I’ll be interested.  
    Fred257watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    yup. will be a < 1,000MB/s (10Gbps) drive on all Macs, since USB 3.2 Gen2x2 isn’t in any Apple devices. Not a bad price for what it is, sounds like a PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD inside. Appleinsider shouldn’t just post a press release as a news item without even giving it the slightest bit of Apple context though (ie ignore the Gen2x2 claims.)
    The SanDisk Extreme Portable and Extreme Pro Portable SSDs AI featured some time ago are much slower on Intel Macs than M1 Macs. At this point I want more than 1500MB/s. Adding T-Bolt compatibility will boost the cost if the price of 10GB/s vs 40GB/s is any indicator.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra