Deadly Apple Store car crash was an accident, driver claims

Posted:
in General Discussion
The man who crashed through the Apple Derby Street retail store in Massachusetts, killing one, has said in his defense that the incident was not an attack, and was instead an "unfortunate accident."

Source: AP Photo/Steven Senne
Source: AP Photo/Steven Senne

Bradley Rein, 52, drove his Toyota 4Runner through the front glass of the Apple Store in Hingham, Massachusetts, on Monday morning. The car crashed through the glass at speed, and only stopped when it hit the Store's rear wall.

According to MassLive, was in court Tuesday morning, facing charges of reckless motor vehicle homicide. Rein reportedly claims that his foot became stuck on the gas and that he was unable to brake in time.

Rein's defense attorney, who described the incident as an "unfortunate accident," requested bail be set at $20,000. The Hingham District Court instead set bail at $100,000.

Following the crash, Rein was reportedly uninjured -- although earlier witness reports said he was bloodied. He went with officers to the Hingham Police Department, where he voluntarily undertook a breathalyzer test which was negative.

MassLive reports that at least 20 people were severely injured. Doctors at South Shore Hospital treated 17 people -- others were taken to hospital in Boston -- and described the injuries as "life and limb-threatening."

The injuries include head traumas and what are described as "mangled limbs." The crash also killed Kevin Bradley, a 65-year-old New Jersey man, who was pronounced dead at the scene.

Rein told officers he had no medical issues, and that to the best of his knowledge, his car had no mechanical faults.

Read on AppleInsider
ronn

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    If the vehicle is a recent model it will have the equivalent of a black box and we’ll see if his story holds up. And of course Apple will be sued for failing to protect its customers and employees. To crash through the glass entry and stop only when it hit the rear wall, as the article points out, that car must have been moving really quick. The investigators will be crawling up his rear to see if he has any history with Apple, good or bad. 
    edited November 2022 DAalsethpulseimagesCluntBaby92watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 31
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I believe him. This has all the hallmarks of a driver doing something stupid and losing control, rather than someone that was in control and deliberately did something bad. I’ve seen a of of accidents over the years where the drivers claimed to have been pressing on the brake, only it was the gas pedal. Oh he’s still liable for everything, including the vehicular homicide, the courts will sort that out. But at heart I don’t think this was deliberate. 
    edited November 2022 muthuk_vanalingamentropyspulseimagesCluntBaby92beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 31
    M68000M68000 Posts: 727member
    lkrupp said:
    If the vehicle is a recent model it will have the equivalent of a black box and we’ll see if his story holds up. And of course Apple will be sued for failing to protect its customers and employees.
    Further,  do they have video of where the vehicle started from?  Where was this guy,  in a straight line or were turns involved also?
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 31
    M68000 said:
    lkrupp said:
    If the vehicle is a recent model it will have the equivalent of a black box and we’ll see if his story holds up. And of course Apple will be sued for failing to protect its customers and employees.
    Further,  do they have video of where the vehicle started from?  Where was this guy,  in a straight line or were turns involved also?
    been there so many times and I drive a 4Runner.  if he was going 60MPH when he hit the glass he had a maximum 330 foot start (according to Google Earth) from Crate and Barrel across the parking lot.  4Runner is 0-60 in 7.7 seconds.  I'm just saying.. that thing was floored for 100 yards?  I dunno, man.  
    edited November 2022 ronnbaconstangJaiOh81radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 31
    This is derby street shops on the back side from Crate and Barrel to Apple Store.  Notice the angles too..
    gregoriusmCluntBaby92baconstangJaiOh81watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 31
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    M68000 said:
    lkrupp said:
    been there so many times and I drive a 4Runner.  if he was going 60MPH when he hit the glass he had a maximum 330 foot start (according to Google Earth) from Crate and Barrel across the parking lot.  4Runner is 0-60 in 7.7 seconds.  I'm just saying.. that thing was floored for 100 yards?  I dunno, man.  
    And if he was pressing on the gas, thinking it was the brake that would do it. Especially if the car accelerates, he panics, presses harder on the “brake” and it accelerates more, and he panics more… It’s not an uncommon accident. 
    pulseimagesCluntBaby92muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 31
    I don't find it believable. Regardless of what was happening with his foot/gas pedal he still had a working steering wheel and emergency brake. IMO, someone in a panic would be more likely to attempt a hard turn away from the stores and flip the vehicle. 
    ronnbaconstangdanoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 31
    ciacia Posts: 252member
    I've seen people panic and freeze up in situations like this. Perhaps he meant to stomp the brake, but accidentally slams down the accelerator and the car shoots off, he panics and seizes up.  It's awful, but it can happen.  It all happens so quick they swear the car was accelerating on it's own, they had the brake firmly pressed, but really they were pressing the gas the whole time thinking it was the brake, freaking out as the accident shakes them up.
    muthuk_vanalingamradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 31
    4Runner can go from 0 to 60 mph in a few seconds. It is very easy for a absent minded driver to accelerate to 60 mph without his foot got stuck. 
  • Reply 10 of 31
    I’ve done numerous unintended acceleration investigations for Transport Canada. The airbag computer will record throttle and brake positions if an airbag or pretensioner was fired (I couldn’t see any obvious signs an airbag deployed in the pictures).

Some things investigators will do:

- Measure distances between pedals. Some vehicles have closely spaced pedals and are more likely to contribute to someone getting a foot stuck or hitting the wrong pedal,
    - What size feet the driver has and what footwear they were wearing at the time. Large work boots are more likely to get caught in pedals than sneakers.
    - Are there any floor mats or carpets installed that may have contributed to the accident.
    - Are there any modifications to the vehicle that could have contributed to this accident.
    - Were they pressing on the brake and throttle at the same time?

It’s hard to say at this point what really happened, but there are lots of things investigators can look into besides the obvious things like witness accounts or security footage.
    DAalsethgregoriusmbaconstangradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 31
    M68000M68000 Posts: 727member
    I’ve done numerous unintended acceleration investigations for Transport Canada. The airbag computer will record throttle and brake positions if an airbag or pretensioner was fired (I couldn’t see any obvious signs an airbag deployed in the pictures).

Some things investigators will do:

- Measure distances between pedals. Some vehicles have closely spaced pedals and are more likely to contribute to someone getting a foot stuck or hitting the wrong pedal,
    - What size feet the driver has and what footwear they were wearing at the time. Large work boots are more likely to get caught in pedals than sneakers.
    - Are there any floor mats or carpets installed that may have contributed to the accident.
    - Are there any modifications to the vehicle that could have contributed to this accident.
    - Were they pressing on the brake and throttle at the same time?

It’s hard to say at this point what really happened, but there are lots of things investigators can look into besides the obvious things like witness accounts or security footage.
    Thanks.  Your last point is what would be great to know,  was there any attempt to brake.  Truly a sad thing for all involved,  prayers and best wishes to them.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 31
    "A 53-year-old man told police his foot got stuck on the accelerator of his 2019 Toyota 4Runner on Monday, causing him to plow into the Apple store at Derby Street Shops" - from the Patriot Ledger:

https://www.patriotledger.com/story/news/2022/11/22/clean-up-starts-at-derby-street-after-deadly-crash-through-apple-storefront/69670045007/
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Seems to me that apple would want barriers/poles installed in front of apple stores taking into consideration the problem with accidents and sophisticated theft operations…
    WhiskeyAPPLEciderbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 31
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    "...Rein told him [state trooper] he was at Derby Street Shops to repair a lens in his eyeglasses, which he was not wearing at the time of the crash."

Does not bode well for him.
    JaiOh81watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 31
    DAalseth said:
    M68000 said:
    lkrupp said:
    And if he was pressing on the gas, thinking it was the brake that would do it. Especially if the car accelerates, he panics, presses harder on the “brake” and it accelerates more, and he panics more… It’s not an uncommon accident. 
    I hear you... and it happens.. but not in this case... the time it would take that vehicle to get up to speed.. and the turn that he would have to take to hit that window just right... too much to believe for me.
    baconstang
  • Reply 16 of 31
    DAalseth said:
    M68000 said:
    lkrupp said:
    it's not, unfortunately.. you hear about it usually when some elderly person drives through the front wall of a cvs, for example.  but never fast enough to go all the way to the back of the store.  if 60MPH is correct.. then he had his foot on that pedal for a long time... and the angle he had to take to miss the restaurant and hit that window... to me it certainly appears to show some intent.  but hey, they will get the data from the car and turn his life upside down.  they'll figure it out.  but I don't believe for a second that he was getting his glasses fixed in Hingham when he lives in Natick which is 30 miles away.
    dtownwarriorbaconstang
  • Reply 17 of 31
    This is derby street shops on the back side from Crate and Barrel to Apple Store.  Notice the angles too..
    Not sure why people are referring to Crate & Barrel when the driver said his foot got stuck on the accelerator while driving by Barnes & Nobles which is 141 feet from the Apple Store. 
    edited November 2022
  • Reply 18 of 31
    darbus69 said:
    Seems to me that apple would want barriers/poles installed in front of apple stores taking into consideration the problem with accidents and sophisticated theft operations…
    I don't see them doing that. Those are ugly and it ruins the main entry appearance of the store. While I believe it has happened before, I don't think it's a very common occurrence. 
    edited November 2022 WhiskeyAPPLEcider
  • Reply 19 of 31
    lkrupp said:
    If the vehicle is a recent model it will have the equivalent of a black box and we’ll see if his story holds up. And of course Apple will be sued for failing to protect its customers and employees. To crash through the glass entry and stop only when it hit the rear wall, as the article points out, that car must have been moving really quick. The investigators will be crawling up his rear to see if he has any history with Apple, good or bad. 
    The story he told is exactly as it happened. Its already held up -  foot stuck on the accelerator and no braking. All the black box will do in this case is confirm what he said. Alcohol test was negative and you can bet if they took a blood test for other drugs, it will likely be negative too. 

Horrible accident is what this is. It is not some conspiracy driven plot.

I wonder of the driver, a 52 year old guy, is an iPhone user or android!
    muthuk_vanalingamradarthekat
  • Reply 20 of 31
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,337member
    Sorry for my ignorance of crazy modern English, but what in the world does "The car crashed through the glass at speed" mean?  "At speed"?

:# 

What I want to know is, why aren't there concrete polls or similar obstacles placed nearest the asphalt area so as to prevent the possibility of someone parked in front hitting the gas pedal instead of the break, thereby stopping the car with the concrete polls rather than allow the car to freely pass through the glass?  This is important for any storefront, but even more so for Apple, where in many cases the smash and break events are rather common.

Here in Japan, we have many cases of old people doing that.  It's never on purpose, but somehow they end up with their aging foot of lead on the gas and it stays there until they've broken through the front of a building.  No doubt those cases were why Toyota came out with its Safety Sense tech, that programs the car to notice objects and prevents the car from smashing into them.  But that tech doesn't help old cars, which is why concrete blocks need to be installed.  And that shouldn't be the responsibility of Apple either.  That's just smart shopping mall and parking lot design.  Sure it costs more, but such barriers prevent tragic accidents like this.
    baconstangmuthuk_vanalingam