Apple's App Store analytics may be able to identify users

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,337member
    Few if any of us in a geeky web forum on a site named AppleInsider are going to be too bent out of shape over this.  But we aren't most people.  Most people do stupid things like look at any entity they consider wealthy and suable and consider ways to nit-pick perceived problems they can tout as hypocrisy or worse, so as to gain the lime light and say they are pursuing this evil in court so as to better humanity.  Yes, the world really is that messed up.

With that said, because the world is so screwed up, it's always best to live as exemplary as possible, so as to avoid even the slightest perception of evil.  I have my issues with Mike Pence which I won't go into here, but his personal rule of not dining alone with another woman other than his wife is one example of someone wanting to live a "blameless" life.  If you as a married man are never around another lady alone, it then becomes much harder for that stupid nit-picking world, who thinks the worst in people, to suggest even a small possibility of impropriety.  In like manner, even if Apple isn't selling our data (and I don't believe it is), they still need to go the extra mile to ensure they too are blameless, leaving no possibility for anyone to say they are hypocrites about wanting to protect individual privacy.  Now that they know of the issue, they can start to address it.  Although if idiots do take the whole thing to court, then it will be in the public eye for longer and give the impression that Apple did something wrong, even though I'm guessing they really didn't.

This stupid world is so frustrating it makes me scream.  But the best we can do is do our best, and that's what Apple needs to do.
    FileMakerFellermuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 29
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Oh the Droidheads will take this story and run like the wind with it. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 29
    JP234 said:
    As long as Apple isn't selling that data to third parties, and uses it to improve my user experience, I don't care.
    *Points camera at your naked crotch*
    “I don’t care as long as they don’t sell that footage to third parties”
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 29
    JP234 said:
    gatorguy said:
    JP234 said:
    As long as Apple isn't selling that data to third parties, and uses it to improve my user experience, I don't care.
    Do you care if Google uses "anonymized" analytics to improve your user experience as long as they don't sell the data to third parties (and they don't)? How about Amazon? Microsoft? 
    If Google isn't selling my data to third parties, why is all that clickbait from places or things I've looked at earlier showing up on every page? Just asking how they know if Google isn't telling them.

As for Apple, Amazon and Microsoft, I'm a shareholder in all 3 companies, so whatever makes them money makes me money. And I'm good with that!
    There isn't a direct link. The advertiser says "show my ad to people who have seen things like this" and then Google matches the ad to the viewer. They're not technically selling you as an individual to the advertiser, just including you in one or more groups that they then allow advertisers to target.
    muthuk_vanalingamgatorguyctt_zhwilliamlondonderekmorr
  • Reply 25 of 29
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    JP234 said:
    *Points camera at your naked crotch*
    “I don’t care as long as they don’t sell that footage to third parties”
    LOL! This one of the dumbest posts I've seen in a while. This post makes absolutely no sense what so ever. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 29
    What does my bank know about me? A lot, since everything I buy shows up on my debit/credit card. If they see my income building in a savings account they might send me an offer to invest in a retirement plan (for example).

Do I have a problem with that? Obviously not since it’s part of the service I’m getting.

Now if the bank makes my data available to someone else, THEN it’s a major problem. I expect companies I do business with to know some things about me. I don’t expect them to consolidate their knowledge of me to build a detailed profile to target me.

I’m convinced when the dust clears this will be nothing more than data Apple gets through my normal dealings with them.

I’m still waiting to see Apple serve me an advertisement in The App Store that’s in any way targeted (based on existing Apps I have installed or my web browsing habits). Or to see a ad in Facebook related to my search history in The App Store. If that ever happens I’ll be pissed.
    Apple already does this.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    JP234 said:
    derekmorr said:
    What does my bank know about me? A lot, since everything I buy shows up on my debit/credit card. If they see my income building in a savings account they might send me an offer to invest in a retirement plan (for example).

Do I have a problem with that? Obviously not since it’s part of the service I’m getting.

Now if the bank makes my data available to someone else, THEN it’s a major problem. I expect companies I do business with to know some things about me. I don’t expect them to consolidate their knowledge of me to build a detailed profile to target me.

I’m convinced when the dust clears this will be nothing more than data Apple gets through my normal dealings with them.

I’m still waiting to see Apple serve me an advertisement in The App Store that’s in any way targeted (based on existing Apps I have installed or my web browsing habits). Or to see a ad in Facebook related to my search history in The App Store. If that ever happens I’ll be pissed.
    Apple already does this.
    Obviously you've forgotten the recent Wells Fargo crime. WF used customer data to fraudulently open 3.5 million accounts INTERNALLY without the permission or even the knowledge of their customers. And then started charging them fees for those illegally opened accounts. It was official company policy, and employees were told to open at least 7 accounts per client or get fired. And that pressure came right from the top: CEO John Stumpf was deposed and forced out, but was given a $90 million golden parachute. Not saying Apple has or is or would do it, but my friend, blind trust in your bank is just that: willful blindness.

What on earth does babbling about Wells Fargo have to do with my comment thst Apple serves targeted ads in the App Store? 
    gatorguy
  • Reply 28 of 29
    JP234 said:
    derekmorr said:
    JP234 said:
    derekmorr said:

Apple already does this.
    Obviously you've forgotten the recent Wells Fargo crime. WF used customer data to fraudulently open 3.5 million accounts INTERNALLY without the permission or even the knowledge of their customers. And then started charging them fees for those illegally opened accounts. It was official company policy, and employees were told to open at least 7 accounts per client or get fired. And that pressure came right from the top: CEO John Stumpf was deposed and forced out, but was given a $90 million golden parachute. Not saying Apple has or is or would do it, but my friend, blind trust in your bank is just that: willful blindness.

What on earth does babbling about Wells Fargo have to do with my comment thst Apple serves targeted ads in the App Store? 
    Here's what you wrote:
    "What does my bank know about me? A lot, since everything I buy shows up on my debit/credit card. If they see my income building in a savings account they might send me an offer to invest in a retirement plan (for example).

Do I have a problem with that? Obviously not since it’s part of the service I’m getting."

My implication is that you are way too trusting in your bank. They're the ones with access to your personal information, including your social security number, your address, your birthday, your phone #, and you money and/or debt data, and that gives them the power to open accounts in your name without you even knowing about it. And if you think YOUR bank would never do that to you, well, think again.

As for Apple, I'm under no impression that currently Apple would or could do such a thing, but never say never. They have access to data on their users worth billions. So far, their revenue streams have enabled them to keep that data internal. But should things change, caveat emptor.

You said:

"Here's what you wrote:
    "What does my bank know about me? A lot, since everything I buy shows up on my debit/credit card. If they see my income building in a savings account they might send me an offer to invest in a retirement plan (for example)."

I did not write those words. EricTheHalfBee did -- in a post I quoted. My post was about targeted ads. I haven't written anything in this thread about financial privacy.