Tim Cook wants Apple to buy Manchester United soccer team

Posted:
in General Discussion
A report from the UK claims that Tim Cook is keen on Apple buying Manchester United, one of the UK's most famous and successful sports teams.

Britain's Daily Star tabloid newspaper is reporting that Apple is considering paying $6.9 billion for the Premier League football team, Manchester United. It's one of the League's highest-profile teams, and is where David Beckham first came to fame.

According to the newspaper, the current owners are the Glazers, said to be US billionaires. Reportedly, the Glazers initially wanted $9.9 billion for the team, but have decided to sell to the highest bidder.

The paper claims that Apple is one of the firms that wants to discuss a potential deal to take over the team.

Reportedly, Tim Cook is keen to explore unspecified opportunities that owning Man U would bring to Apple. He is said to be lining up talks with the banks appointed to oversee the sale.

The Daily Star further says that Apple "could" fund the building of a new stadium. Manchester United's current stadium, Old Trafford, is in need of renovation and the owners have recently vacillated between repairs and restoration, or an entirely new build.

Neither Apple nor the owners of Manchester United have commented, and the Daily Star gives no attribution or any indication of sources.

Such a purchase would be the first time Apple bought a sports team, but it has famously has a fictional one with "Ted Lasso." It has recently used its "Ted Lasso" characters to promote the World Cup.

Apple TV+ has also recently greatly expanded its soccer coverage, though through a deal with the US Major Soccer League, rather than the UK's Premier League.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Please pardon my ignorance, but why?  “Explore unspecified opportunities”?  I know that Tim and Elon are polar opposites, but it sounds a lot like the decision to buy Twitter. Except that I don’t think Tim would immediately fire half the players!
    I don’t get it. 
    darkvaderstevenozbaconstangJaiOh81watto_cobragrandact73ols
  • Reply 2 of 35
    I could imagine a push towards developing next level experiences with a vision to where their technologies are going. They would apply that to cars. They could apply that to next generation of content creation for Apple TV.  Regarding live sports, more than just owning broadcast rights..now they could own the team and build the first Apple Stadium. 3D 360 degree video broadcast cameras throughout allowing viewers at home and around the world to experience the game like never before with their Apple AR/VR glasses, spacial audio...basically putting your experience inside the stadium. Layers and layers of technology, storytelling and marketing. 
    badmonkcurrentinterestJaiOh81goodbyeranchwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 35
    This sounds like a lame attempt at propping up the sale price.
    ronnentropysFileMakerFellerJaiOh81watto_cobraols
  • Reply 4 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Err, ah, nope.

Of course there’s the headline: Time Cook wants Apple to buy...

Followed by the first sentence: A report claims...

And we fall for it every stinking time.
    edited November 2022 ronnzeus423fred1baconstangFileMakerFellerAlex_VJaiOh81macxpresswatto_cobraols
  • Reply 5 of 35
    This is the daily star, complete BS in that paper !
    DAalsethatonaldenimseanjAlex_Vwatto_cobraols
  • Reply 6 of 35
    XedXed Posts: 2,540member
    fred1 said:
    Please pardon my ignorance, but why?  “Explore unspecified opportunities”?  I know that Tim and Elon are polar opposites, but it sounds a lot like the decision to buy Twitter. Except that I don’t think Tim would immediately fire half the players!
    I don’t get it. 
    The reasons for each purchase couldn't more different. I'll refrain from evidencing the issues with Musk's antics, but instead tell you why I think Cook is likely very serious about considering this purchase.

First of all, Cook has always been very calculated in what he says, especially in regards to Apple. Maybe this was a rare flub, but I have doubts that it is. Second, being one of, if not the, most well known teams it's excellent branding for Apple in the sport. Why simply pay a team to be your sponsor when you can own the team, be the sponsor, and make a direct profit off their branding?

Additionally, they are in need of a new stadium. If Apple gets their team(s) designing a stadium it very well cold become as iconic as its stores—perhaps to the point that you and I might go to see if we're ever in Manchester. If Apple can argue that an iconic stadium could bring in more tourists then they can get the city to pay for it (which is too common with stadiums in the US, and possibly a sticking point with the locals).

Or, maybe this tabloid newspaper is wrong or made it up simply because the popular and excellent Ted Lasso is an Apple TV+ series.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 35
    Looking a byline date: Nope, not April …
    JapheyatonaldenimstevenozFileMakerFellerJaiOh81watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 35
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,663member
    There is no real money to be had with football clubs. The billionaire owners that currently spend millions on clubs do so for ego trips or, more rarely, are childhood fans wanting to see their dream come true. 

There is a case to be made for brand recognition in some cases but Apple doesn't that. 

The Glazers were never really liked at Manchester United and the club will definitely need a new stadium sooner rather than later. The current Old Trafford, in spite of the relatively recent additions just doesn't hack it as a modern day, aesthetically pleasing football stadium and looks like the garden shed stadium when compared to others around Europe. That task alone is going to be a very costly headache.

Add to that that so fans at clubs don't want their stadiums to be 'multi-use' which is one of the few ways they can actually get some of the outlay back.

Then there is the fall from grace effect. Not everyone will be top of the hill forever and big salaries and crazy transfer fees have long been a problem in keeping clubs economically viable. Just ask Manchester City who were the city also rans for decades.

I can't see such a move being good for Apple. 
    baconstangFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 9 of 35
    If Apple buys a soccer team, they’d better be buying Disney next. 
    zeus423JaiOh81ols
  • Reply 10 of 35
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    First he'll buy Netflix &Disney, and pull up in the Apple Car to make the announcement.
    mknelsonzeus423stevenozJaiOh81ols
  • Reply 11 of 35
    ronn said:
    First he'll buy Netflix &Disney, and pull up in the Apple Car to make the announcement.
    Yeah, and drop Spotify into this mess as well, so  that Apple buy it too /s
    zeus423FileMakerFellerwatto_cobraronn
  • Reply 12 of 35
    Yeah, sounds like BS, Daily Star pretty much confirms that.

Apple is known for its leading position in markets and setting high standards, so if there was an EPL team they'd purchase, surely it'd be Liverpool who are also taking offers now, not ManU. Only reason for ManU over Liverpool, if they really were interested, would be in converting the decrepit Old Trafford stadium
    seanjwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 35
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    We just had a discussion on here yesterday about why Apple won’t be buying Disney. The same arguments apply here. Apple has core fields it works in. It slowly explores others, but Football is not anywhere on their radar. There is no reason whatsoever they would want to own a team. They have vastly better things to drop a few billion dollars into. 

No, just no. 
    baconstangFileMakerFellerJaiOh81watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 35
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    If Apple buys a soccer team, they’d better be buying Disney next. 
    Apple would be much better off just buying Disney. I don't see any benefit for Apple to own a soccer team except maybe an AppleTV rights thing but you don't need to buy a soccer team in order to do that. This just seems like a very silly way to spend money. 
    JaiOh81watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 35
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    The Daily Star is one of the worst rags in the UK, might as well be reporting a rumour from Facebook. https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/daily-star-uk/
    baconstangseanjFileMakerFellerJaiOh81
  • Reply 16 of 35
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    To address a point from Xed:
    (Well, two. I never said Tim was like Elon. I said just the opposite.) 

But more importantly,
    ”Additionally, they are in need of a new stadium. If Apple gets their team(s) designing a stadium it very well cold become as iconic as its stores—perhaps to the point that you and I might go to see if we're ever in Manchester.”

A clarification seems to be needed. Apple designers are amazing product designers but they’re not architects. The two fields are very different. Jony Ive did not design the new Apple headquarters, the architect Norman Foster did. Steve Jobs did not design the Cube on 5th Avenue in NY, that was the architectural firm of Bolin, Cywinski, Jackson.  Steve Jobs didn’t design the stair in the first Apple office building, that was the work of the architect I.M. Pei. Just to dispel some rumors I’ve heard over and over. Apple designers have not designed any Apple stores. 
    DAalsethbaconstangmuthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFellerJaiOh81watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 35
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Apple wants another tax dodge.
    JaiOh81
  • Reply 18 of 35
    I never realized that soccer teams had that high valuations.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Apple should remain laser focused on its own business model. Not go all “Squirrel!” and start buying football clubs. And ironically, buying the rights to “Squirrel” (Disney) actually makes more sense than Man U 
    FileMakerFellerJaiOh81watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 35
    XedXed Posts: 2,540member
    JP234 said:
    When I hear rumors like this one, it reminds me of former Magellan Fund genius Peter Lynch's wisdom. He called this kind of business activity "diworseification."
    The most successful companies laser focus on their core competencies and leverage them for maximum profit. An acquisition of a soccer franchise by a technology company is the opposite of that. And at worst are ego projects. Better to leave it to Tim Cook to buy MU himself after he retires, like other billionaires such as Mark Cuban, Paul Allen, or Steve Ballmer.

And instead of buying a sports team for $7 Billion and spending another billion of a new stadium, how about returning the $8 billion to us investors??? Hmmm, Tim? Where's my Christmas bonus?
    How does paying out more dividends make the company better? You sound a lot like the now fossilized "experts" that claimed that Apple was foolish to create the iPod, then foolish to create the iPhone and iPad when they should be focusing on the iPod, foolish for not licensing macOS nee Mac OS and licensing more Mac clones, etc. Personally, I think Apple has done very well for itself and Cook's focus needs to take a lot of credit for that. Spending a pittance on some (likely) directly profitable marketing isn't a big deal to me as an investor. If I want better dividends from a company there are many others that get my investments, many of which have monthly payouts.
    baconstangwatto_cobra