Tim Cook wants Apple to buy Manchester United soccer team

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Instead, buy 10-25 midsized game studios and start creating a first-party content slate for Arcade, fully leveraging the Apple Silicon power, and make a minimalist Apple TV follow-up product with an M2 Max.
    elijahgmuthuk_vanalingamJaiOh81watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 35
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member
    Instead, buy 10-25 midsized game studios and start creating a first-party content slate for Arcade, fully leveraging the Apple Silicon power, and make a minimalist Apple TV follow-up product with an M2 Max.
    Wouldn't that put the HW over the current cost of the PS5?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 35
    The story is complete BS. I read the original story and it does not contain one relevant fact. It is based on "Two sources say ..."
    FileMakerFellerJaiOh81sphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 35
    JP234 said:
    When I hear rumors like this one, it reminds me of former Magellan Fund genius Peter Lynch's wisdom. He called this kind of business activity "diworseification."
    The most successful companies laser focus on their core competencies and leverage them for maximum profit. An acquisition of a soccer franchise by a technology company is the opposite of that. And at worst are ego projects. Better to leave it to Tim Cook to buy MU himself after he retires, like other billionaires such as Mark Cuban, Paul Allen, or Steve Ballmer.

And instead of buying a sports team for $7 Billion and spending another billion of a new stadium, how about returning the $8 billion to us investors??? Hmmm, Tim? Where's my Christmas bonus?
    You know so much and have such informative insight!

Tell me this, why aren't you a billionaire?

Peter Lynch. You must be about 500 years old like me. Lynch, his strategy and what he accomplished with Magellan have nothing to do with buying a sports team whether you are  Apple or some collection of rich guys wanting a new toy. You are comparing apples to oranges (pun intended). The way the you spoke may make the kids here think you know something rather than just imitating CNBC.

edited November 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Can’t see this happening. Apple payed less than half that for Beats, and there was a much more direct line to making profit there (and owning the market for headphones.) 

Owning any sports team is largely a vanity project. If Apple wants to do a vanity project they build an eye catching store, or they make a prestige TV show. They used to partner with U2 but that became more of a liability than a boon. 

Apple doesn’t need to own a soccer team, and if they did get into pro sports they’d sooner do it in the US. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 35
    There already is a story out where Apple or someone very close to them laughs at the notion in response to inquiries about the tabloid article.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 35
    If Tim wants it he should buy it himself! One of Apple’s strengths has always been only purchasing assets that are valuable and relevant.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 35
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Can’t see this happening. Apple payed less than half that for Beats, and there was a much more direct line to making profit there (and owning the market for headphones.) 

Owning any sports team is largely a vanity project. If Apple wants to do a vanity project they build an eye catching store, or they make a prestige TV show. They used to partner with U2 but that became more of a liability than a boon. 

Apple doesn’t need to own a soccer team, and if they did get into pro sports they’d sooner do it in the US. 
    They'd get a very nice stadium for Apple Music Concert series in the off season. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 35
    JP234 said:
    When I hear rumors like this one, it reminds me of former Magellan Fund genius Peter Lynch's wisdom. He called this kind of business activity "diworseification."
    The most successful companies laser focus on their core competencies and leverage them for maximum profit. An acquisition of a soccer franchise by a technology company is the opposite of that. And at worst are ego projects. Better to leave it to Tim Cook to buy MU himself after he retires, like other billionaires such as Mark Cuban, Paul Allen, or Steve Ballmer.

And instead of buying a sports team for $7 Billion and spending another billion of a new stadium, how about returning the $8 billion to us investors??? Hmmm, Tim? Where's my Christmas bonus?
    The money's being used for share buy-backs, which reduces the number of available shares, which nudges up the price of the remaining shares. Capital growth is not taxed until it is "realised" by selling the asset, dividends from shares are immediately subject to income tax.

It's not an explicit gift wrapped up in a pretty ribbon, but it's still a valuable benefit.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Apple does not need to buy game studios. They're already getting a swathe of quality games in Apple Arcade by essentially paying the developers' costs and then sharing revenue after release.

The recent reviews of Resident Evil Village (a game that has been built to make use of Apple's Metal 3 GPU libraries) are throwing a cat amongst the pigeons in gamerville: a developer that put in the effort has seen stunning performance on a device that most gamers deride as being unworthy of the task.

Not every AAA game developer will go down that path, not every gamer will switch to a Mac, but the news is undeniably positive for Apple.
    macxpresswatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 35
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    Daily Star?  :D

watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 35
    It would be a great purchase for Apple. Apple TV+, accessories, apps, retrofit millions potential costumers.
    Just for you to have an idea. Every day of the World Cup over 220 million people watch. By the end of the World Cup, a total of 5 Billion people would have watch only 30 days of the most played sport in the world and when you have a game, lets say Manchers City VS. Real Madrid, just the 22 players plus the 13 subs, the pay roll is over 1.5 Billion dollars. You van the Champions, The Premier, La Liga, The Euro Cup. It would be a brilliant move for Apple. Forget the car. That is peanuts. Futbol Soccer around the world is a business of hundred of billions of dollars. LETS GO TIM. LETS GO APPLE. Glazer wants a ridiculous number if you pay even 5 Billion and build a new Stadium like the Bernabeu, or Wanda, or Wembley. You would have spent 6 billion. You will have your ROI the moment you sign the contract. I guarantee you it's a dream. Both franchises are a marriage made in heaven. You just have to bring the people that know about futbol. Zidane would be your first coach and keep Ronaldo two more years. Trust me. It's the best news Apple can deliver to its share holders in the aspect of money making machine.  ManU's name per se is worth a fortune. It needs to be pamper and bring it back to life. The current coach is killing it.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Maybe Apple should put that money into fixing all the problems with their hardware and software. It hasn’t been good since SJ passed and Tim Cook is all about his bottom line.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    It would be a great purchase for Apple. Apple TV+, accessories, apps, retrofit millions potential costumers.
    Just for you to have an idea. Every day of the World Cup over 220 million people watch. By the end of the World Cup, a total of 5 Billion people would have watch only 30 days of the most played sport in the world and when you have a game, lets say Manchers City VS. Real Madrid, just the 22 players plus the 13 subs, the pay roll is over 1.5 Billion dollars. You van the Champions, The Premier, La Liga, The Euro Cup. It would be a brilliant move for Apple. Forget the car. That is peanuts. Futbol Soccer around the world is a business of hundred of billions of dollars. LETS GO TIM. LETS GO APPLE. Glazer wants a ridiculous number if you pay even 5 Billion and build a new Stadium like the Bernabeu, or Wanda, or Wembley. You would have spent 6 billion. You will have your ROI the moment you sign the contract. I guarantee you it's a dream. Both franchises are a marriage made in heaven. You just have to bring the people that know about futbol. Zidane would be your first coach and keep Ronaldo two more years. Trust me. It's the best news Apple can deliver to its share holders in the aspect of money making machine.  ManU's name per se is worth a fortune. It needs to be pamper and bring it back to life. The current coach is killing it.
    You are referring to football as a sport, not just Manchester United. 

From a Manchester United perspective, what you are saying would be if they won the domestic league regularly, qualified for the Champions League (and progessed far enough in the tournament) and had enough star names. 

That is unlikely to happen and no modern stadium can truly be profitable unless it is a multi-use arena. 

Historically fans are not enthusiastic about having to see their teams play games just a few days after a concert or other event has taken place. The only way for that problem to be resolved is by using retractable roofs and pitches or by using artificial turf. 

Manchester must also be one of the rainiest places in the UK too. 

It would be a multi billion dollar exercise is sending money down the toilet. 

Sponsorship of the league or some teams might be a better option but Apple isn't particularly known for that. 

muthuk_vanalingamronn