Update your Google Chrome Mac install now

Posted:
in Mac Software
There is another zero-day exploit for Chrome, and Google has issued a security update to fix the vulnerability that is being actively exploited.

Google Chrome browser
Google Chrome browser

The company is rolling out the update -- 107.0.5304.121 -- for Windows, Mac, and Linux over the coming days or weeks.

The vulnerability tracked as CVE-2022-4135 in the database of security bugs and vulnerabilities allowed a remote attacker to break out of the Chrome sandbox using a special HTML webpage with a heap buffer overflow.

On its webpage for Chrome releases, Google says it is aware of reports that an exploit for the vulnerability exists in the wild.

Mac users can update the Google Chrome browser automatically by pressing Command-Q to quit the browser, then reopening the app. If the browser hasn't been closed in a while, a button will appear in the app's upper-right corner that says "Update."

Another option is to click on the three-dot "More" icon in the browser's upper-right. Next, select Help, click About Google Chrome and choose Update Google Chrome if it appears.

It's been a rough year for Chrome security. A report from October 5 showed that Chrome was the most vulnerable browser in 2022 with 303 vulnerabilities.

For example, the company patched its seventh zero-day exploit in Chrome at the end of October. It's a popular browser for users, but that also makes it a popular target for attackers.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    There is another zero-day exploit for Chrome, and Google has issued a security update to fix the vulnerability that is being actively exploited.

The company is rolling out the update -- 107.0.5304.121 -- for Windows, Mac, and Linux over the coming days or weeks.

Wait. What?

What if I don't have Chrome installed? Am I safe? /s

watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I don't run Chrome often, but strangely, mine was already updated when I launched the app today.

As for updating, come on AppleInsider... your audience are Mac users... so there's no need to send your readers down the Windows hellhole of finding the "About Google Chrome" menu item... it's at the very top of the application menu (named "Chrome" in this case).  ;)
    dewmegatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,799member
    Who runs that spyware on a Mac? :smile: 
    darkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    So are Chromium based browsers also affected?  I don’t run Chrome but have Brave installed for those sites that need Chrome to function. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    lkrupp said:

The company is rolling out the update -- 107.0.5304.121 -- for Windows, Mac, and Linux over the coming days or weeks.

Wait. What?

What if I don't have Chrome installed? Am I safe? /s

It's already available for Mac and Windows. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    The fact that Chrome has become the most popular browser in the world is proof positive that the world doesn’t give a shit about privacy, security, tracking their location, ads, or anything else. So I wish Apple and other companies would just stop harping about it because NOBODY GIVES A SHIT who scoops up their data ,sells it to advertisers, compromises their bank accounts or identities. They know the establishment will make them whole and just charge everybody else more to make up for the loss.

Am I wrong? I think not.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    danox said:
    Who runs that spyware on a Mac? :smile: 
    If you're referring to Chrome, that's a good question. I haven't come across any stats that are fresher than 2016. Newer data shows Chrome on desktop platforms with roughly 70% usage versus Safari's roughly 10%. On mobile platforms Chrome usage is a few percentage points behind its desktop rate but Safari is up to about 25%. The only time you see Safari ahead of Chrome (about 60% vs 40%) is if you break tablets alone out of the mobile stats. These stats are based on a set of sample sites that track what browsers are hitting them. Nothing really surprising at all when you compare Mac vs non-Mac market share across computing platforms.

No matter how you slice it, there's a crapload of people using Chrome, so it's both the market leader in terms of usage and the most heavily scrutinized browser. Seeing more vulnerabilities discovered on a browser that has 70% usage should not be a surprise to anyone. I worry most about vulnerabilities that have not been publicly disclosed - regardless of whether the'd been discovered or not. There are obviously plenty of vulnerabilities that have been discovered but not disclosed, but instead banked or sold to the highest bidder. Once they are disclosed they lose most of their value, although people who don't keep their systems updated ensure that vulnerabilities still retain a diminished level of residual value. 
    FileMakerFellermuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,111member
    I’m not a big fan of things Google so I rarely use Chrome. This is why I’m annoyed whenever I come across a web site that only works on Chrome, as happened last week.  
    Isn’t there a way for Apple to incentivize firms to make their sites work on Safari too?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member

Why You Should Delete Google Chrome After New Tracking Admission

That was August of last year.  Why have you not deleted Chrome yet?