Man beaten, robbed of $95,000 worth of iPhones outside Apple Store

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2022
A man carrying his purchase of 300 iPhones was robbed and assaulted near the Apple Store on Manhattan's Fifth Avenue, losing $95,000 worth of merchandise.

Robbery outside an Apple Store
Robbery outside an Apple Store

According to the New York Police Department, the attack occurred early Monday morning. The 27-year-old victim was targeted shortly after leaving the Apple Store with his goods.

Around 1:45 AM, a store employee put the 300 iPhone 13 boxes into three large bags, that were handed over to the man. Shortly after returning to his car, another vehicle pulled up and two men demanded the bags.

The victim fought back, but was punched in the face. The attackers managed to steal one of the iPhone-filled bags before driving away.

The bag contained 125 iPhones worth approximately $95,000, according to police. As to why he had so many iPhones in his possession, the victim regularly makes large purchases from Apple to resell through his small business, and that was part of his order.

The man wasn't gravely injured and refused medical attention at the scene.

Apple's store on Fifth Avenue is open 24 hours a day and can facilitate purchases at odd hours. It is likely that the early-morning activity was to avoid shifting such a high value of order in view of the general public, which would make the man more of a target for theft.

The investigation is ongoing, and the NYPD has yet to release a description of the suspects or their vehicle, according to Audacy on Tuesday.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Strange. Apple stores don't normally sell to resellers. Usually resellers have to go through Apple's business channel to make large purchases.
    thrangwatto_cobraKTRfred1dewme
  • Reply 2 of 15
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    Strange. Apple stores don't normally sell to resellers. Usually resellers have to go through Apple's business channel to make large purchases.
    Apple has authorized resellers (cellular stores, big box, etc), though I suspect their purchasing process is NOT three big bags filled up at a retail location, purchased OTC.

I thought Apple didn't have many phones anyway with the meltdown happening in CHHHIIIINNNA....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,124member
    thrang said:
    Apple has authorized resellers (cellular stores, big box, etc), though I suspect their purchasing process is NOT three big bags filled up at a retail location, purchased OTC.

I thought Apple didn't have many phones anyway with the meltdown happening in CHHHIIIINNNA....
    I work at an authorized reseller. We cannot order or pick up items at an Apple retail location other than at full retail price.

We are 100% not allowed to sell to somebody if we know they are going to resell the devices at a profit.

The person could be a consultant charging for configuration services for their clients. That would be acceptable. Many of the local consultants separate those sides of the business and have us invoice directly to the end user.
    watto_cobramichelb76fred1FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Hey, I've got an idea: I'm going to go to the main NYC Apple Store at around 2AM, buy a QUARTER-MILLION DOLLARS worth of iPhones, then walk to my car with them in three large Apple shopping bags! What could go wrong?

Sorry, but this story doesn't pass the smell test. I live in Manhattan, not very far from this store, and no one who regularly makes purchases this large from NYC Apple locations would handle purchases this way. It's just dumb. Heck, I wouldn't be walking to my car with AirPods in an Apple bag at 2AM.

As for "lawless" NYC: that gets repeated so often in right-leaning media, you might even think it's true. It's not. Crime is up, no doubt--but it's up from historic lows, pre-Covid. If you look at NYC crime data going back many decades, we're still at the lower end of the data, historically--not remotely close to how it's portrayed. That said, the upward trend in some crime categories should be addressed now, before it gets worse. 
    slow n easywatto_cobratokyojimudewmekurai_kagecharlesatlasJP234Bart YFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Recently NYU officials are accused of giving themselves raises while reducing budget for security forces. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    charlesn said:
    Hey, I've got an idea: I'm going to go to the main NYC Apple Store at around 2AM, buy a QUARTER-MILLION DOLLARS worth of iPhones, then walk to my car with them in three large Apple shopping bags! What could go wrong?

Sorry, but this story doesn't pass the smell test. I live in Manhattan, not very far from this store, and no one who regularly makes purchases this large from NYC Apple locations would handle purchases this way. It's just dumb. Heck, I wouldn't be walking to my car with AirPods in an Apple bag at 2AM.

As for "lawless" NYC: that gets repeated so often in right-leaning media, you might even think it's true. It's not. Crime is up, no doubt--but it's up from historic lows, pre-Covid. If you look at NYC crime data going back many decades, we're still at the lower end of the data, historically--not remotely close to how it's portrayed. That said, the upward trend in some crime categories should be addressed now, before it gets worse. 
    Thank you for the last paragraph. Very well written. It’s frustrating to me that some people seem to want to make everything about politics when the story isn’t even about politics. The part I hate is the unwarranted demonization of the other party.
    watto_cobradewmekurai_kageBart YFileMakerFellerJP234
  • Reply 7 of 15
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    thrang said:
    ronn said:
    Dis Sum Bishop!  :#

He was either targeted by persons witnessing his large purchase or others know that he "regularly makes large purchases" at the Apple store. Won't speculate on his character/intelligence or pull nonsensical political statements out of my nether regions regarding NYC.  ;) 
    Nothing pulled from nether regions. Look at the news articles of Bragg reducing  52% of felonies to misdemeanors, and saying misdemeanors won't be brought to trial UNLESS accompanied by a felony charge....

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-city-da-bragg-downgrades-over-half-felonies-misdemeanors
    Pulled from the very taint of "news" in America, Fox. They don't link to the DA's report for a very good reason: selective statistics. The previous year they mentioned, 2019, 39% of felonies were downgraded by DA Bragg's predecessor. They then cite NYC's increased crime rates when DA Bragg is only the Manhattan DA; there are four other boroughs: The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island; two of those boros, the Bronx & Brooklyn, are hotspots for increased crime despite those DAs favoring robust prosecutions compared to DA Bragg; and crime was increasing prior to The Pandemic, which has been an incubator for crime.

So NYC remains the safest large city in America. And folks from other places should compare their crime rates before tossing their rocks from within a glass house.
    watto_cobratenthousandthingscharlesatlasBart Y
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Dang. Poor guy. Hope they catch the thieves snd this man gets restitution. 

On another note, it’s not wise to walk around with that much money in your hands, even in the form of purchased goods. Would be better to have a team getting this stuff, whether that’s family, employees, etc. maybe also consider making big purchases like this in multiple smaller chunks. Even better, have this delivered. That’s what makes me crazy. Why the heck didn’t this guy have the phones trucked over to his warehouse, garage, etc.? 

This is so wrong. Truly hope justice is served. 
    edited November 2022 Bart Ywilliamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Dang. Poor guy. Hope they catch the thieves snd this man gets restitution. 

On another note, it’s not wise to walk around with that much money in your hands, even in the form of purchased goods. Would be better to have a team getting this stuff, whether that’s family, employees, etc. maybe also consider making big purchases like this in multiple smaller chunks. Even better, have this delivered. That’s what makes me crazy. Why the heck didn’t this guy have the phones trucked over to his warehouse, garage, etc.? 

This is so wrong. Truly hope justice is served. 
    You are kind, I'll give you that. But this assumes the "poor guy" was not involved, himself. I'd love to give him the benefit of the doubt, but the doubts here are just too overwhelming. Who goes out to buy a quarter-million dollars worth of iPhones--that's the total purchase price we're talking about!--and then walks them out of the store alone to his car at 2AM in three presumably very large Apple shopping bags--which are walking billboards advertising the fact that you've carrying something worth a lot of money. The only sane explanation is that he was involved in setting up the theft. If that's not true... well, then he's truly just insane. 

edited November 2022 Bart Y
  • Reply 10 of 15
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    We live in strange times and criminals have become quite brazen in places all over the country. We are seeing people being targeted at high end stores, banks and restaurants, followed home and then robbed in broad daylight. Anyone not exercising discretion when handling a large purchase in Manhattan is really taking a large risk.

My first response to the story is “why would he just not have them shipped?”
    It makes no sense to assume that kind of risk.
    Bart Ydewme
  • Reply 11 of 15
    there’s a 24 hour Apple store?! 😳
  • Reply 12 of 15
    thrang said:

From the article: iPhone 13
    ronn
  • Reply 13 of 15

davgreg said:
    We live in strange times and criminals have become quite brazen in places all over the country. We are seeing people being targeted at high end stores, banks and restaurants, followed home and then robbed in broad daylight. Anyone not exercising discretion when handling a large purchase in Manhattan is really taking a large risk.

My first response to the story is “why would he just not have them shipped?”
    It makes no sense to assume that kind of risk.
    I remember a story from decades ago: a retail store manager always took a bagged lunch in a brown paper bag and took the bag home with him every night. He was clearly being observed, because one night after locking up he was severely bashed and the bag taken: the criminals had assumed he was carrying the daily takings.

The facts of the situation don't factor into the decision-making process of the criminals, it's all down to their perception. Hard to be too harsh on the victim.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 15
    It hasn’t been mentioned here but there has been a long history of Apple retail stores supplying various gray and black markets, money laundering organizations, and just about any warm body desirous of buying iPhones for resale.

New stories post regularly about the criminals involved. https://www.dea.gov/press-releases/2022/07/29/eight-indicted-money-laundering-ring

Most of these buyers request no name no email printed receipts for their own records so that the purchases are untraceable to anybody. 

These resellers all know each other, competing daily in stores to clean out the stores’ of most popular iPhone products for their customers on any given day. They see each other’s faces and “team” members and figure out who are the ones with the biggest credit cards, gift cards, and even Apple Pay on their iPhones. Known big buyers can be seen and easily followed upon leaving the store with such large caches of iPhones and then mugged and robbed of the known high value of what they are known to be carrying. 

These gangs/groups are extremely organized and provided with “sniping” buying tools for the Apple website to place multiple orders in minutes. 

I highly suspect that they have either insiders or paid informers at the shipping services because they will often know, before the store opens, when the shipments are delivered and posted to inventory. You’ve seen the delivery hijacking stories too. $300k was stolen directly from a FedEx truck in San Francisco at the delivery entrance a couple of years ago. 

The internal nomenclature reference to these customers has evolved over the years. Variously they are “hobbyists”, “our volume friends”, “bonus bumpers”, etc. At one point I had it explained to me that if they refused to sell to a known reseller, they would be accused of discrimination because the largest percentage are of specific ethnic descents. Most recently, they are officially “non end-user” customers and, while still generally limited to two iPhones per transaction, they are recently no longer required to return to the back of the line of customers waiting to buy. They are now “officially” allowed to purchase until the store inventory is gone. What are the legitimate end users to do? This activity is a significant contribution to the lack of availability to true Apple customers. 

This policy was copied and pasted from the Apple website just now:

“Consumers Only

The Apple Store sells and ships products to end-user customers only, and we reserve the right to refuse or cancel your order if we suspect you are purchasing products for resale.”

It is clear in each retail store that Apple is violating its own stated policy.

New Hampshire has also long been a favorite of the resellers because there is no sales tax.

I could go in but suffice it to say, Apple speaks out of both sides of its “policy”.

williamlondon