China lifts lockdown on Foxconn's iPhone plant in Zhengzhou

Posted:
in iPhone
The latest COVID lockdown affecting iPhone manufacturer Foxconn has been lifted, following rioting by residents and workers.

China's severe coronavirus measures have seen a series of lockdowns that has battered Foxconn's expected earnings growth. It's meant such extensive delays to production of the iPhone 14 Pro that Apple issued a rare statement abut the situation.

CNN reports that Chinese authorities have now lifted the most recent lockdown, a further week-long one that affected Zhengzhou city. Reportedly, Chinese state media says that lockdown has been lifted in several districts of Zhengzhou, though it's not clear when the rest may follow.

Previously, employees required to stay at Foxconn through its "closed loop" protection against the coronavirus, have rioted in their hundreds. The rioting has more recently spread across the city, with residents calling for the lockdown to be lifted.

In a note to investors seen by AppleInsider, Wedbush estimates that Foxconn has been operating at between 20% and 30% of capacity. Describing it as "a horror show for Apple," and also a "China train wreck," Wedbush claims the lockdown has been "an absolute gut punch to Apple's supply chain."

According to Wedbush estimates, iPhone 14 Pro demand is running at three times the supply. The analysts believe 10 to 15 million sales of the iPhone 14 Pro will move to 2023 because of it.

Unless things change dramaticaly, very soon, it is already too late to order an iPhone 14 Pro online and get it in time for Christmas.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    Go Chinese people! 

The mass control over the entire country must end! 

Xi Jinping must step down! 
    radarthekat
  • Reply 2 of 31
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Go Chinese people! 

Until the tanks and machine guns arrive of course. Remember Tiananmen Square? Easy for you to say wherever you live in safety.
    edited November 2022
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Apple is not counting on it and it's increasing production line to 150% next year in India.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Apple is not counting on it and it's increasing production line to 150% next year in India.
    Apple is only "assembling" the iPhones in India. Most of the components are manufactured somewhere else and shipped to India for assembly. Increasing the assembling by 150% is not going to be of much help to Apple.
    danox
  • Reply 5 of 31
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    Apple better think long-term and move as much production out of China as possible. Too many risks, especially increasing authoritarianism. And I hope they don't make the same mistake elsewhere. India and Vietnam may not be as severe, but are still troublesome. As is their chief manufacturing partner Foxconn. Apple fans can't cheer moving manufacturing to India where there was "protests" at Foxconn for horrible conditions and pay disputes in the past. 
  • Reply 6 of 31
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    Re: "Senator attacks Apple's 'unconscionable' Chinese policy, demands answers"
    I find it ironic that an article all about "free speech" does not have comments enabled.

blastdoor
  • Reply 7 of 31
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    amar99 said:
    Re: "Senator attacks Apple's 'unconscionable' Chinese policy, demands answers"
    I find it ironic that an article all about "free speech" does not have comments enabled.

Pretty soon we will need to figure out which cartoon characters various political leaders most clearly resemble and have oblique conversations about those characters. 
  • Reply 8 of 31
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member
    Apple is only "assembling" the iPhones in India. Most of the components are manufactured somewhere else and shipped to India for assembly. Increasing the assembling by 150% is not going to be of much help to Apple.
    Apple does the same thing in Brazil, many car manufacturers do the same around the world to get around taxes, duties, and local laws, the politicians and the public are fooled everytime on that front.
    edited November 2022 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 31
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member
    Go Chinese people! 

When he does nothing will change with 1.3 billion people the competition and madness continues see Russia.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    CCP has changed. It is listening to people and making changes. New lockdown will be small and last only one day. It might take five to seven days to see if this new method will stop the growing of cases. 
  • Reply 11 of 31
    CCP has changed. It is listening to people and making changes. New lockdown will be small and last only one day. It might take five to seven days to see if this new method will stop the growing of cases. 
    God, what an obvious CCP plant you are. Do you really think we are stupid enough to not know who you are and what you were sent here to do? Tell your CCP handler comrades that it’s not working.
    ronn
  • Reply 12 of 31
    lkrupp said:
    God, what an obvious CCP plant you are. Do you really think we are stupid enough to not know who you are and what you were sent here to do? Tell your CCP handler comrades that it’s not working.
    Fxxk! I am only telling the facts. Why are you afraid of truths? You enjoy being brainwashed by China haters. 
  • Reply 13 of 31
    lkrupp said:
    Fxxk! I am only telling the facts. Why are you afraid of truths? You enjoy being brainwashed by China haters. 
    No. you are a liar through and through, towing the party line and spewing disinformation as directed by your handlers. Now run along and suck your dictator Xi Jinping’s wang.
    edited November 2022
  • Reply 14 of 31
    lkrupp said:
    lkrupp said:
    No. you are a liar through and through, towing the party line and spewing disinformation as directed by your handlers. Now run along and suck your dictator Xi Jinping’s wang.
    You are brainwashed to believe truths are lies. You China haters never can prove what I said is untrue. 
  • Reply 15 of 31
    lkrupp said:
    Obvious 50 Cent Army member!  :D
  • Reply 16 of 31
    ronn said:
    lkrupp said:
    You are wrong! I am truth and fact bearer. 
  • Reply 17 of 31
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    ronn said:
    lkrupp said:
    Perhaps China should accept western vaccines.  I’d bet Apple would be happy to purchase 1 million Pfizer shots to provide first, second and booster doses to every worker at Foxconn if it would mean they could come and go freely. 
    edited November 2022 ronn
  • Reply 18 of 31
    ronn said:
    lkrupp said:
    Perhaps China should accept western vaccines.  I’d bet Apple would be happy to purchase 1 million Pfizer shots to provide first, second and booster doses to every worker at Foxconn if it would mean they could come and go freely. 
    Do you know China has implemented heath codes? The vaccines shots has to be recorded into the health agency. In US, the Wallet app will show the dates I received the shots. In China, just receiving the shots does not mean you will get the green code. You have to be tested negative. Some local places require test every day. Since there are so many people in China, just getting a test is a huge inconvenience. This is one reason there is such wide spread protests recently. But CCP has relaxed the rules today. 
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 19 of 31
    ronn said:
    lkrupp said:
    Careful there, you'll be demoted to the Ten Cent Army with these canned replies. Hell, at this rate, maybe the Penny Army.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    ronn said:
    ronn said:
    lkrupp said:
    Careful there, you'll be demoted to the Ten Cent Army with these canned replies. Hell, at this rate, maybe the Penny Army.
    So you know the 50 cent army thing. You have been brainwashed by the anti-China group such as FLG. I think they have successfully altered American altitude toward China in the last several years. This is unfortunate. Because they use exaggeration, distortion, or fabrication lies to propagate negative things.