Google keeps trying to hammer on Apple for not adopting RCS

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2023
In a birthday post earlier in 2023, and again during Wednesday's I/O conference, Google continues to court Apple, trying to get it to adopt RCS. It's still not ready, not a standard, and not something Google is all-in on itself.

Google continues to beg Apple to fix its messaging problem
Google continues to beg Apple to fix its messaging problem

Apple's products rely on iMessage when commuting with other Apple products, then fall back on SMS for everyone else. Google has been aggressively pushing a newer standard called RCS, but it isn't quite ready for primetime.

A push from Google arrives in the form of a condescending blog post. It is nearly the 30th anniversary of the first-ever SMS text, and Google wants Apple to know there's something newer... again.

"Most of the mobile world is using RCS, but there is one company that's dragging its heels," the blog post reads, alluding to Apple. "But after 30 years of SMS texting, it's truly time."

And, it tried to hit the nail again during Wednesday's Google I/O conference. The message remains weak.

Google's three reasons why

The post provides three reasons Apple needs to get on board with RCS. However, the reasoning isn't exactly sound.

First, Google cites security thanks to end-to-end encryption. However, it forgets to mention that users have to send messages via the Google Messages app for encryption. That, and encryption for group chats is only available to users of the Google Messages beta.

Second, Google says RCS enables higher-resolution images, video, and more things like emoji reactions. However, other messaging services like Signal, WeChat, Facebook Messenger, and even iMessage already have these improvements. It is Google's problem that Android users don't have the same benefit by default.

Finally, Google calls RCS an industry standard. Which it isn't, not even close. Google hasn't even adopted RCS across all of its disparate messaging platforms.

The post also disparages Apple for using SMS as a fallback, despite RCS doing the same. RCS only works over an internet connection, so it will fall back to SMS just like iMessage does when internet strength isn't good enough.

RCS isn't the answer

The foundation of this post is the age of SMS -- 30 years. While this is an aging standard that needs to be replaced, it is also a universal one that the entire globe benefits from. No matter how embedded RCS, iMessage, or other platforms become, SMS will take a decade or more to phase out completely.

There is also a fundamental issue with Apple adopting RCS since it is a direct competing platform with iMessage. Google acts as if RCS is a replacement for SMS, but it isn't -- it is just another layer on top of it.

Apple debuted iMessage as a method to unify messaging across its platforms and take the guesswork away from its users. Google failed to do the same, and is making it Apple's problem.

Hopefully, Google can #GetTheMessage that it isn't Apple's job to fix messaging on Android products.

Read on AppleInsider
lollivercpsro

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    whaaaa whaaa whaaa

Hey Google you don't see us cry every time you kill off a product.

BTW, sell NEST back to Tony so we can have HomeKit support.
    edited December 2022 williamlondonJP234Anilu_777watto_cobraMBeartwokatmewlolliverStrangeDaysjbdragonbloggerblog
  • Reply 2 of 55
    RCS is now the standard for all Android phones, so it's wrong to say that Android users can't share high-res images by default.

Sure, RCS isn't perfect and is still mid-adoption, but you say it's not the solution to fixing cross-platform messaging without offering any other options. What would you rather see happen to improve how iOS and Android communicate? It's easy to criticize, but you don't seem to have a better solution to offer.
    williamlondonpoopooracoocoo
  • Reply 3 of 55
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Google's customers are complaining and they need to deflect the blame.
    williamlondonlkruppAnilu_777JaiOh81watto_cobratwokatmewmacxpresslolliverjbdragonFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 4 of 55
    RCS is now the standard for all Android phones, so it's wrong to say that Android users can't share high-res images by default.

Sure, RCS isn't perfect and is still mid-adoption, but you say it's not the solution to fixing cross-platform messaging without offering any other options. What would you rather see happen to improve how iOS and Android communicate? It's easy to criticize, but you don't seem to have a better solution to offer.
    Nothing is perfect, so saying RCS isn't perfect doesn't add anything to the discussion.

Your argument here doesn't make any sense and here's why: it's not Apple or Appleinsider that's complaining about cross-platform messaging. So when Google suggests a solution, Apple is free to say "no thanks.' They aren't required to offer their own solution; they aren't the ones complaining. 
    XedAnilu_777JaiOh81watto_cobramSaklolliverStrangeDaysjbdragonFileMakerFellerpscooter63
  • Reply 5 of 55
    econ101 said:

Nothing is perfect, so saying RCS isn't perfect doesn't add anything to the discussion.

Your argument here doesn't make any sense and here's why: it's not Apple or Appleinsider that's complaining about cross-platform messaging. So when Google suggests a solution, Apple is free to say "no thanks.' They aren't required to offer their own solution; they aren't the ones complaining. 
    One of the subheadings in the article is "RCS isn't the answer". I'm pointing out that if you're going to say that RCS isn't the answer, it's useful to say what is.

I think it's fair to say that most iOS and Android users would appreciate if messaging between the two OSs improved. If that wasn't the case, you wouldn't hear so many complaints about green bubbles. Google has a possible solution, and I haven't heard any better alternatives that don't require Apple users to abandon iMessage or for Apple to open up the iMessage APIs.
  • Reply 6 of 55

One thing in the article could be made more clear. FTA:
    Google says RCS enables higher-resolution images, video, and more things like emoji reactions. However, other messaging services like Signal, WeChat, Facebook Messenger, and even iMessage already have these improvements. It is Google's problem that Android users don't have the same benefit by default.

I don't want to speak for the author, but from the above, it appears that the author did not mean to say Android users can't share high-res images by default at all, but rather it is the combination of multiple features that represents the "same benefit" that other platforms have that Android users don't have.

Also, it's not the author's responsibility to offer a better solution. Reporting the facts are, which I believe has been done in this article.
    williamlondonwatto_cobradewmelolliverjbdragonFileMakerFellerDBSync
  • Reply 7 of 55
    Google is as evil as Facebook/Meta, if not more so. I trust nothing from the company in terms of not monetizing the data of its users in surreptitious ways. It even destroyed its own best-in-class search engine so it could serve up sponsored results posing as most relevant to your search. 
    Anilu_777danoxJaiOh81watto_cobratwokatmew9secondkox2lolliverDBSync
  • Reply 8 of 55

Google says RCS enables higher-resolution images, video, and more things like emoji reactions. However, other messaging services like Signal, WeChat, Facebook Messenger, and even iMessage already have these improvements. It is Google's problem that Android users don't have the same benefit by default.

I don't want to speak for the author, but from the above, it appears that the author did not mean to say Android users can't share high-res images by default at all, but rather it is the combination of multiple features that represents the "same benefit" that other platforms have that Android users don't have.

Also, it's not the author's responsibility to offer a better solution. Reporting the facts are, which I believe has been done in this article.

If the author is going to state, as a fact, that RCS isn't the answer, then he should tell us what the answer is. Otherwise it's just his opinion.
  • Reply 9 of 55

If the author is going to state, as a fact, that RCS isn't the answer, then he should tell us what the answer is. Otherwise it's just his opinion.
    Pointing out why something doesn't work does not require saying what does work. End of story.
    williamlondonAnilu_777JaiOh81watto_cobramSaktwokatmewstompyjroyrpelletilolliver
  • Reply 10 of 55
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    econ101 said:

One of the subheadings in the article is "RCS isn't the answer". I'm pointing out that if you're going to say that RCS isn't the answer, it's useful to say what is.

I think it's fair to say that most iOS and Android users would appreciate if messaging between the two OSs improved. If that wasn't the case, you wouldn't hear so many complaints about green bubbles. Google has a possible solution, and I haven't heard any better alternatives that don't require Apple users to abandon iMessage or for Apple to open up the iMessage APIs.
    When I bought my first iPhone 3 (?) Carriers charged for texting plans and I refused to pay for one. My friend said, I had to have texting...I said no I don't, I'll iMessage (free) my friends that own iPhones anyone else that feels that they need to text me can buy an iPhone or email me.

It's likely due to iMessages that carriers caved and started rolling it into the plans.

Know what? I think everyone that I iMessage/Text has an iPhone. So not really a problem for me and I could care less.
    edited December 2022 JaiOh81watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 11 of 55

Use email if you can’t download an app. Or use WhatsApp,Viber,Line or in the worst case scenario WeChat.
    williamlondonJaiOh81watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 55

Pointing out why something doesn't work does not require saying what does work. End of story.

He never points out why RCS wouldn't work.

His argument is that Apple shouldn't adopt RCS because Google has made their own extensions to the Universal Profile, other apps have similar features (???),  and because it's not on every Android phone yet or integrated into every Google service.

None of those are actually reasons why Apple shouldn't adopt RCS, especially since Google has offered to help Apple get feature parity between Google's extensions and a possible Apple implementation.
    williamlondonwatto_cobrapoopooracoocoo
  • Reply 13 of 55
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member

His argument is that Apple shouldn't adopt RCS because Google has made their own extensions to the Universal Profile, other apps have similar features (???),  and because it's not on every Android phone yet or integrated into every Google service.

None of those are actually reasons why Apple shouldn't adopt RCS, especially since Google has offered to help Apple get feature parity between Google's extensions and a possible Apple implementation.
    I'd say that a current lack of end-to-end (E2E) encryption is one reason why Apple should include RCS into their Messages app. You might want to respond saying that it already exists—which is does if you look at specific RCS profiles and without looking at group chat features or whether someone has that disabled. I think that E2E encryption is a necessary attribute for modern messaging, not simply an option feature.

Would there be benefits to  Apple's customer base if RCS was adopted instead of just SMS? Of course, as most of us do interact with people with green bubbles. but there are definitely downfalls, as well as many difficult pitfalls for Apple for trying to shoehorn many competing and half-baked standards into a single something that just works.

Have you asked yourself why Google wants Apple to support this? At the very least they want Apple to support it so that it becomes popular. Do you think it's fair for Google to pressure another company into paying a lot of money writing and testing code so that another can benefit off their branding? Why not first make RCS good, safe, and popular amongst Android users. If that happens, then I think Apple will have no choice but to adopt it, but not the other way around. If you build it, they will come.
    williamlondonJaiOh81tmaymuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobratwokatmewstompyrpelletilolliverroundaboutnow
  • Reply 14 of 55
    Xed said:

I'd say that a current lack of end-to-end (E2E) encryption is one reason why Apple should include RCS into their Messages app. You might want to respond saying that it already exists—which is does if you look at specific RCS profiles and without looking at group chat features or whether someone has that disabled. I think that E2E encryption is a necessary attribute for modern messaging, not simply an option feature.

Would there be benefits to  Apple's customer base if RCS was adopted instead of just SMS? Of course, as most of us do interact with people with green bubbles. but there are definitely downfalls, as well as many difficult pitfalls for Apple for trying to shoehorn many competing and half-baked standards into a single something that just works.

Have you asked yourself why Google wants Apple to support this? At the very least they want Apple to support it so that it becomes popular. Do you think it's fair for Google to pressure another company into paying a lot of money writing and testing code so that another can benefit off their branding? Why not first make RCS good, safe, and popular amongst Android users. If that happens, then I think Apple will have no choice but to adopt it, but not the other way around. If you build it, they will come.

There's the Universal Profile and Google's extensions that's build on top of that. There aren't conflicting profiles, at least not ones that matter.

It's hard to say that Apple's Messages app just works when people complain about the SMS/MMS fallback so much.

Google wants Apple to implement RCS because the vast majority of teens want an iPhone, solely because teens with an Android get bullied for having a green bubble, and they don't want a whole generation growing up only being familiar with a competitor.

That same reason is why Apple has avoided implementing RCS, even though it's required by the 5G standard.

This campaign isn't a serious attempt to get Apple to adopt RCS. Those conversations happen in private. This campaign is about shifting the public's attitude. It's to get people to realize that Apple benefits from their bad user experience.

I don't like Google's approach, but they're right in saying that Apple is doing everything they can to hold back cross platform messaging.

RCS is the current best solution to improve cross platform messaging, and it's just as important to understand why Apple won't collaborate with Google on RCS, when they are willing to collaborate with several companies on technologies like WebGPU.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member
    Xed said:

There's the Universal Profile and Google's extensions that's build on top of that. There aren't conflicting profiles, at least not ones that matter. 
    So you want Apple to support one profile because Google says so while also saying "fuck you" to supporting RCS profiles for the plethora of carriers and phones that don't support it.  You honestly don't see a problem with that?

Again, get it working the same on all Android devices and Apple very likely have to support it just like they support SMS.
    edited December 2022 williamlondonwatto_cobralolliverroundaboutnowpscooter63
  • Reply 16 of 55
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,849member

Mister 5 post don’t trust you or Google, RCS like Flash is something Apple doesn’t need. Enjoy Android…..
    JaiOh81tmaykillroywilliamlondonwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 17 of 55
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member
    I disagree.  I can say death isn't the answer to life, but it doesn't mean I have any alternative.  There is always the possibility that there is no useful answer.  Sometimes, life sucks, and that's all there is to it.
    JaiOh81tmaykillroywatto_cobrawilliamlondonroundaboutnowFileMakerFellerpscooter63
  • Reply 18 of 55
    Xed said:
    Xed said:

So you want Apple to support one profile because Google says so while also saying "fuck you" to supporting RCS profiles for the plethora of carriers and phones that don't support it.  You honestly don't see a problem with that?

Again, get it working the same on all Android devices and Apple very likely have to support it just like they support SMS.

You don't seem to understand what the concept of an extension is.

Google's extensions are built on top of the Universal Profile and don't conflict with the profiles that the carriers implement.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    65c816 said:
    I disagree.  I can say death isn't the answer to life, but it doesn't mean I have any alternative.  There is always the possibility that there is no useful answer.  Sometimes, life sucks, and that's all there is to it.

What? Are you saying there's just no way that iOS and Android users could possibly communicate better? MMS is peak technology? Pack it in and shut it down because there's no way to improve the current situation!
    muthuk_vanalingamkillroywilliamlondonpoopooracoocoo
  • Reply 20 of 55
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 615member
    No I reason to sign up for a standard that is controlled by others when you have a working solution. All my friends have iPhones and the last thing I want is spam from other compatible services. iMessage is a competitive advantage for Apple. 
    killroywatto_cobralolliverjbdragonpscooter63