Apple Music Sing turns iPhone & Apple TV into karaoke machine

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2022
Apple Music has a new extra called Apple Music Sing, which lets subscribers sing along, replace the lead singer, or perform a duet.

Apple Music Sing on iPhone, iPad, and television
Apple Music Sing on iPhone, iPad, and television

Apple has announced a new Apple Music service, but it's not the classical one it's promised for before the end of the year. Instead, it's Apple Music Sing, which leverages Apple Music's lyrics to provide a Karaoke-style experience.

"Apple Music's lyrics experience is consistently one of the most popular features on our service," Oliver Schusser, Apple's vice president of Apple Music and Beats, said in a statement. "We already know our users all over the world love to follow along to their favorite songs, so we wanted to evolve this offering even further to enable even more engagement around music through singing."

"It's really a lot of fun," insists Schusser, "our customers are going to love it."

More than presenting the main song lyrics on screen as it can now, Apple Music Sing will optionally show "multiple lyric views." It will enable users to "take the lead, perform duets, sing backup, and more."

With a new Adjustable Vocals feature, users can control a song's vocal levels. The real singer can be silenced enough for the user to take over, or dipped enough for that user to perform backing vocals.

The Karaoke feature will not be available for the whole of Apple Music's library. Rather, a "suite of more than 50 dedicated companion playlists" is being launched. They will each feature "all of the epic songs, duets, choruses, and anthems that have been compelling people all around the world to sing."

Apple Music Sing is free to Apple Music subscribers worldwide. It launches later in December, and will be available on iPhone, iPad, and the Apple TV 4K.

It appears to be specifically the Apple TV 4K that is required -- reportedly, older Apple TV sets are not supported.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Wow. This is HUGE. 

Not a karaoke fan myself but my gf and everyone I know is. They even have their own karaoke machines. 

If Apple expands this to all of their songs, it’s a game changer. It by itself would be an unexpected driver of subscriptions. No one would expect it, but it would be a paradigm shift. 

50 playlists is nothing. Need to up this big time. 

Users want to curate their own playlists and set that up. Recently I helped put on a party at a hospital with karaoke. EVERYONE took part and had a blast. We  curated a playlist using predownloaded YouTube lyrics to a tv and pre downloaded the songs into a plays list to ensure no network issues could affect anything. 

For corporate events, birthdays, church settings, hospital morale boosters, karaoke bars, etc. this would be a smash hit. 

Bravo Apple. Bravo. Now treat it like the special thing it is and open up the catalog. 
    h4y3sgregoriusmtokyojimuwilliamhjas99byronl
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Apple Music Sing will be available later this month to Apple Music subscribers worldwide, and can be enjoyed on iPhone, iPad, and the new Apple TV 4K.

Does this mean only the Apple TV 4K released this year is going to get this feature?

• Reply 3 of 10
    jose8964 said:
    Apple Music Sing will be available later this month to Apple Music subscribers worldwide, and can be enjoyed on iPhone, iPad, and the new Apple TV 4K.

Does this mean only the Apple TV 4K released this year is going to get this feature?

Yes that's exactly what Apple is saying. And that sucks. And we'll never know if it is truly a hardware limitation or an arbitrary cutoff.
    byronlappleinsideruser
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Can Apple Music Sing completely replace a karaoke machine and better?
    byronl
  • Reply 5 of 10
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member

Apple has announced a new Apple Music service, but it's not the classical one it's promised for before the end of the year. Instead, it's Apple Music Sing, which leverages Apple Music's lyrics to provide a Karaoke-style experience.

Read on AppleInsider
    When did Apple ever promise the Apple Music Classical service to be released by the end of the year? I do not even recall them announcing said service, let alone promising a release timeframe.
    jas99
  • Reply 6 of 10
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    jose8964 said:

Yes that's exactly what Apple is saying. And that sucks. And we'll never know if it is truly a hardware limitation or an arbitrary cutoff.
    It does kind of suck for those of us who have an Apple TV 4K that isn’t “new” but this feature will make the upgrade worthwhile.  

Back in ye olde day we paid a couple hundred for the cdg player and about $39/disc for the songs.  Plus mics. 
    TheObannonFile
  • Reply 7 of 10
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    JinTech said:

Read on AppleInsider
    When did Apple ever promise the Apple Music Classical service to be released by the end of the year? I do not even recall them announcing said service, let alone promising a release timeframe.
    When they announced the Primephonic acquisition. It’s in the last paragraph of the press release…

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/08/apple-acquires-classical-music-streaming-service-primephonic/
    edited December 2022 gregoriusmmuthuk_vanalingambyronlappleinsideruser
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Wow. This is HUGE. 

Not a karaoke fan myself but my gf and everyone I know is. They even have their own karaoke machines. 

If Apple expands this to all of their songs, it’s a game changer. It by itself would be an unexpected driver of subscriptions. No one would expect it, but it would be a paradigm shift. 

50 playlists is nothing. Need to up this big time. 

Users want to curate their own playlists and set that up. Recently I helped put on a party at a hospital with karaoke. EVERYONE took part and had a blast. We  curated a playlist using predownloaded YouTube lyrics to a tv and pre downloaded the songs into a plays list to ensure no network issues could affect anything. 

For corporate events, birthdays, church settings, hospital morale boosters, karaoke bars, etc. this would be a smash hit. 

Bravo Apple. Bravo. Now treat it like the special thing it is and open up the catalog. 
    The press release talks about tens of millions of songs. The playlists are only there to help the consumer focus on songs that might lend themselves better to karaoke. 
    byronl
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I hope in the future there’s a SingStar like feature where it grades your singing against the proper notes to be sung. 
    byronl
  • Reply 10 of 10
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    Japhey said:
    JinTech said:

Read on AppleInsider
    When they announced the Primephonic acquisition. It’s in the last paragraph of the press release…

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/08/apple-acquires-classical-music-streaming-service-primephonic/
    Thank you for that. This does show that they announced the service, though they never promised anything, instead they said this:

"Apple Music plans to launch a dedicated classical music app next year combining Primephonic’s classical user interface that fans have grown to love with more added features."

Apple chose the word plans rather than promise on purpose.
    byronl