2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    So pirate it or get a real job.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by shamen56

I think its wrong to have to buy a new OS every year.Call me crazy but I think every two years would be sufficient.Also where I live it was 200.00 I'm not a teacher ,or a student.

Nobody says you HAVE to buy a new OS every year. Maybe you are just keeping up with the Joneses. As for $200 I'll call BS on that! Where do you live? You are telling me you can't buy and have a copy of Jag shipped to you for $120 (plus a pitance for international shipping).
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmo

Panther will have to support g3s, due to the fact that Apple is still selling g3s. They would be angering a lot of iBook users if they made Panter g4 and above only.

If you bought a new mac today and Apple rolled out a new OS less than 6 months later that would not run on your machine, wouldn't you be pissed?

A) Since when does Apple care if you are pissed? If they did, .Mac would be free, so would 10.1 and 10.2 updates.

B) Since when do you think they will still be shipping G3s come late this year? Although the G3 was a great chip (I own two of the suckers) we can all be glad it's getting kicked. I have little doubt (contrary to your opinion) that panther will be G4 or better ONLY. But I guess time will only judge to see who is right.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    The place is called Canada.The OS goes for 200.00 .As far as keeping up with the Joneses does windows xp plan on changing to windows yp next year?As for shipping there is a thing called exchange rates and duty.

So are you afraid to say Canada or is the EH! just a way of being cute?
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by shamen56

The place is called Canada.The OS goes for 200.00 .As far as keeping up with the Joneses does windows xp plan on changing to windows yp next year?As for shipping there is a thing called exchange rates and duty.

So are you afraid to say Canada or is the EH! just a way of being cute?

I guess this argument is going nowhere. I am looking at on order page to have Jaguar sent to me here in Canada for $136.70

I don't know where or how you shop, but shop around next time. Hell, call somebody in the US and have them pick it up, package it and mail it (it's GOT to be cheaper then $200)

BTW, Glad you were the first to get my secret joke eh?
  • Reply 26 of 29
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    Ah, stfu already. The iBook is 'new' and uses a G3 processor. It's quite able to handle Jaguar and in fact is the 'better' notebook processor than a G4 (battery life, heat...). Panther would have to base basic services on AltiVec to make the G3 incompatible on a technical level. But as somebody else said: Apple won't leave new machines in the dust that fast. It's gonna be up to you whether you think your 'old' hardware is still able to 'play' Panther nicely.

Back when Apple excluded PowerPC 603/604 from Mac OS X 10.0, the decision was also made due to the old world/new world issues.

Apple does _long_ transitions (68K/PowerPC, OS9/OSX), and we'll see OS X updates for G3 processors long after they're not being sold anymore.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I think if ANY G3 is going to be incompatible with any future revisions of the Mac OS, it'll only be either "old-world" ones (like the Wallstreet PowerBook, beige G3, and tray-loading iMacs) or ones that don't support the minimum required RAM. If, in some future revision, Apple decides to up the required minimum RAM to 256 MB (they won't, even if they should... just because that way they can continue to ship a poopy 128 MB with all their machines), then they'll probably drop support for the Wallstreet which only "supports" 192 MB of RAM (even though you can put 512 MB in and it'll work perfectly). But G3 support won't go away for a while. 68030s were discontinued in 1995 (LC 550) and they were supported until 1997 with the release of OS 7.6. 68040s were discontinued in 1996 (PowerBook 190cs) and were supported until 1998 with the release of OS 8.5. 60x processors will work with OS X with hacks but work with up to 9.1 stock. They were discontinued in 1997 and supported until 2001 when 9.2 was released.

So that's two years for both the 68030 and 68040, and four years for the 60x PPCs. If G3s are cut from Apple's line in, say, a year, that means we have at least until 2006 until they stop supporting them. At least, if they follow the past, they shouldn't drop G3 support until 2006, and maybe they'll go longer before dropping it (for example, dropping G3s and G4s at the same time in 2008 or later).
  • Reply 28 of 29
    mggmgg Posts: 124member
    I think that Jaguar is here to stay for a little while more. Sometihng tells me that they won't use panther as the next upgrade to 10.2 but as more of an operating system for something else like this tablet type thing. I don't really know a whole lot on this matter so don;t count me on anything.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Whoa 136.00 thats pretty good.Considering in Vancouver its 195.00

not including taxes.Oh and if you do the math 136 US is like 198.00cdn.How do you get around the duty,shipping?